PDA

View Full Version : TPMS self learning or not

Snorman
01-20-2017, 08:12 PM
I've got a second set of OEM wheels/Kumhos in the trailer, are the TPMS in these cars (OEM) self-learning or will I need to buy a learning tool?
S.

nx91notch
01-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Self learning.

But sometimes it may take a few miles before they start to work.

darbgnik
01-21-2017, 12:08 AM
Supposed to be self learning, just like the last couple Dodge trucks I've had. I wont have any personal experience for another couple months however....

donk_316
01-21-2017, 01:05 AM
I bought a spare set of SW2s and P zeros. I have to go through this song and dance this spring also.

Racingswh
01-21-2017, 01:12 AM
I've got a second set of OEM wheels/Kumhos in the trailer, are the TPMS in these cars (OEM) self-learning or will I need to buy a learning tool?
S.

I like that there is no issue when they don't work. No limp mode. Just no reading of tire pressure.

I buy the sensors on Amazon, shrader as I recall although I would check again, and they are around $40. I have a little stockpile as they are fairly easily damaged when changing tires. Broke 2 last season and had 2 go bad.

Came in handy once as it indicated a rapidly deflating front tire at Watkins Glen before it failed and tore the hood all up.

Dr.Ron
01-21-2017, 09:37 AM
I've swapped wheels with sensors a few times and the car quickly relearns them on its own.
Ron

ViperGeorge
01-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Usually works but not always. Twice changing wheels I've had the TPMS malfunction light come on. It still read tire pressures but reported an error. Had to have the dealer reset it. Other times it worked fine .Maybe if I have driven more the malfunction would have cleared.

LmeaViper
01-22-2017, 11:25 AM
I have 2 sets of wheels and the pressures / readings were all good. They updated after I left the garage.

Nine Ball
01-22-2017, 09:12 PM
It usually takes between 3-5 miles for them to register and relearn on their own. Until you perform the relearn time, storing the car near the old set of wheels may confuse it.

Dr.Ron
01-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Until you perform the relearn time, storing the car near the old set of wheels may confuse it.

Tony, you had told me this also when I got my wheels from you and you told me which TPMS's to get. Remember the ebay seller didn't know they worked on a Gen V?
Anyway, I store my 2nd set of wheels on the wall 4' from the car in the garage and I have never had a problem with the car picking up the 2nd set of wheels/sensors on the car, nor has the 2nd set hanging on the wall ever interfered with the stock set on the car. Just my $.02.

Ron