PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Mud Fallout.

FLATOUT
01-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to check in with everyone to see how their Vipers did after they got home and cleaned them off from the drilling mud we ran into on the drive last weekend.

On mine it didn't seem to bother the paint but I did notice that it stained the clear bra. My car is wrapped in Xpel and wanted to see if any of you noticed this as well.

I washed it, clay barred it and nothing.

I did find a pad compound combo that I was able to cut and polish it out incase any of you have some stubborn spots like I did.

M105 (Megs) and am orange lake country pad on a flex DA, didn't need the rotary.

Anyways just throwing out what worked for me if any of you run into problems.

See you guys this weekend.

Andy

Dusty1
01-16-2014, 03:24 PM
We washed Beth's vert when we got home for that reason, I haven't noticed any spotting but will look this evening.

johniew398
01-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Since I'm not from Texas I assume the mud is dropped on the highway from the trucks going in and out of the fields?

DARKNHT
01-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Since I'm not from Texas I assume the mud is dropped on the highway from the trucks going in and out of the fields?

He's referring to mud fallout from drilling in the ground (oil).

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/171655/drilling-mud

johniew398
01-17-2014, 08:52 AM
He's referring to mud fallout from drilling in the ground (oil).

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/171655/drilling-mud

I know that.

And what I was asking is the drilling mud on the cars from the truck rigs going in and out of the oil fields or something else. I used to visit west Texas
when my Dad lived there and I never saw drilling mud on the highways. That's why I was curious.

MtnBiker
01-17-2014, 10:17 AM
There was a yard that was making themud and loading onto the trucks. We drove past its entrance.

Andy, thanks for the headsup. I will take a closer look.

Dusty1
01-17-2014, 01:00 PM
We were washing in the dark when we got home because we were worried about any "side effects" from the mud. Looked yesterday evening and didn't see any paint or clear bra problem, of course that clear bra is 4+ years old with many track weekends on it so the rubber tracks make it a little hard to tell.

Richard

HLANDIS
01-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Drilling "MUD" is a compound used to lubricate the drill bit as its drilling and also provide positive pressure in the hole to help keep the well from collapsing in on the bit.
It's not really mud like your thinking.
Hope it didn't mess up any cars!!

Troublemaker
01-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Drilling "MUD" is a compound used to lubricate the drill bit as its drilling and also provide positive pressure in the hole to help keep the well from collapsing in on the bit.
It's not really mud like your thinking.
Hope it didn't mess up any cars!!

Most of the time, you are looking at a mix of soap(Drillterg), polymer, and bentonite. The bentonite would be the only this I would worry about. There might be other additives depending on soil, but those three are always going to be a safe bet. Most of my drilling experience is horizontal, but the mix for vertical rigs is most likely similar.

FLATOUT
01-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Yep no problem on the painted surfaces, it only seemed to mark the clear bra, but I was able to polish it out.

slowhatch
01-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Didnt notice anything ill (now you have me worried), but i did have to clay both doors and lower quarters to get rid of all the tar from driving on the island. It was peppered all over the car.