PDA

View Full Version : No ZR1?

Newport Viper
01-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Think they just want to sell some Z06's.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/chevy-corvette-zr-1-not-happening/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

Well how about this...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/15/chevy-corvette-z06x-track-report/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

johniew398
01-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Could be.

I've always wondered if manufacturers don't way to say what is in the works because some people would hold out until that model is produced rather than buying the current model.

And maybe like a politician he left an out right here: "...the upcoming 2015 Z06 is the only range-topping model currently on the automaker's burner, according to Tadge Juechter, chief engineer on the C7..."

Not trying to second guess his comments but could by saying the Z06 is the only range-topping model on the burner mean, NOT NOW but later???

99RT10
01-15-2014, 09:47 PM
IF that is the case, and Dodge comes out with a 700 HP ACR, then we are back on top as King of the Hill. Good for us, bad for Chevy. I just don't believe there won't be a ZR-1.

ACRucrazy
01-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Makes total sense to me. The new ZO6 should mop the floor with the old ZR1 for under 100k. (And you know what that means)

I bet Chevy sells every last ZO6 they offer, and fast. They got it. They are not pricing themselves out of the market. The ZR1 went from ~1500 per year the first two yard of production to less than 500 per year the last two years.

Sure you will have people that will spend more simply because it costs more. If Chevy offered a ZR1 you would have buyers at 150-200k simply because it cost more and the "the best". But how many 150k corvettes could they sell? A few hundred?

Right now Chevy doesn't need to. Because with every option the new Z should be under 100k and be a threat to cars costing 2,3,4 times as much.

Home. Run. Chevy.

KRATEDISEASE
01-16-2014, 01:06 AM
no ZR1

Nine Ball
01-16-2014, 06:47 AM
I bet Chevy sells every last ZO6 they offer, and fast. They got it. They are not pricing themselves out of the market. The ZR1 went from ~1500 per year the first two yard of production to less than 500 per year the last two years.

I know the C7 and Viper get compared endlessly on this site, but I actually appreciate that the C7 is cheap, and the Viper is more expensive. If Vipers were mass-produced and sold as cheap as Corvettes, we'd see Vipers at every stop light and in every Wal-Mart parking lot. I'm fine with it being the way it is. Chevy didn't "price" the Z06 to meet the market. They mass-produced them, shared common parts with truck engines, sell a crap load of base models, and do all sorts of efficiency studies and such - which enable a lower price. They don't create the price, the other factors do.

F2V
01-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Too much power? From Corvette Forum...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3403924-new-z06-how-many-street-car-buyers-can-handle-that-much-car.html

XSnake
01-16-2014, 08:03 AM
If you can get a Z06 with CC and a blower what could they do to a ZR1?

DARKNHT
01-16-2014, 09:59 AM
ZR1 is a moniker used once in a blue moon...

I don't see the need for a ZR1 if they gave the Z06 the blower either...

slitherv10
01-16-2014, 10:42 AM
I don't think the ZR1 will ever die. Chevy will always use it as fire power when it needs it. As it did in 2009 to combat the all mighty ACR. Competition as is always good. Especially for us enthusiasts. They know that and we know that.
The ZR1 is like a Lion waiting in tall grass of the Serengeti, ready to pounce on anything that tries to cross its path ( ACR).

They will bring it out when their ready. When SRT comes close enough for them to pounce.

It will always be a game of catch between these two rivals. I don't think the ZO6 is their new Halo car. The all mighty ZR1 will always hold that title. Chevy will make sure of that when the right time comes.

This ZO6 is just the Horse in the Trojan war of "King of the Hill'

Shooter
01-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Makes total sense to me. The new ZO6 should mop the floor with the old ZR1 for under 100k. (And you know what that means)

Sure you will have people that will spend more simply because it costs more. If Chevy offered a ZR1 you would have buyers at 150-200k simply because it cost more and the "the best". But how many 150k corvettes could they sell? A few hundred?

Right now Chevy doesn't need to. Because with every option the new Z should be under 100k and be a threat to cars costing 2,3,4 times as much.

Home. Run. Chevy.

Where are you getting this "under 100K" price.? The article says "low 6 figure base price". That car as pictured will cost about the same as a Gen V T/A I bet.

ACRucrazy
01-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Where are you getting this "under 100K" price.? The article says "low 6 figure base price". That car as pictured will cost about the same as a Gen V T/A I bet.

A very informative video I thought. According to C&D quoting Chevy @ 6:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3cc059rg1A&

Shooter
01-16-2014, 12:49 PM
A very informative video I thought. According to C&D quoting Chevy @ 6:20 mark.

The head of marketing better get on board. He quoted "low 6 figures" in the other article.

If they can go for under 100k, they will move every one. I might even have to pick one up for my wife. I was going to get a Shelby or Cobra but this might take their place.

Troublemaker
01-16-2014, 04:39 PM
The head of marketing better get on board. He quoted "low 6 figures" in the other article.

If they can go for under 100k, they will move every one. I might even have to pick one up for my wife. I was going to get a Shelby or Cobra but this might take their place.

The head of marketing always does a fantastic job.