PDA

View Full Version : New Gen2 Viper Owner here

03evoIII
12-14-2016, 01:22 AM
Hi All,
Just received my 1998 Dodge Viper rt10 yesterday evening. I have always loved the gen 2 vipers and finally got one. I sold my 2001 Porsche 996 twin turbo a couple months ago to a buddy and another buddy of mine got me looking at vipers after he picked up his....so here we are. I specifically wanted a 96-99 MY (I plan on SC'ing it later this coming summer) and rt/10 over the GTS. I like both but figured I would get more enjoyment with the open roof on cruises and mountain drives. :) I found a decent deal and went for it...it needs a little TLC which I plan on giving it. Oh and I ordered some parts today....couldn't resist.

1. New floor mats w/sneaky pete logo.
2. Short shifter w/new 98 Viper leather knob.
3. 2" lower shifter adapter.
4. Poly Trans mount
5. Billet trans cross member
6. Roe Racing smooth tubes and panel filters
7. Oil Catch can
8. SRP racing pedals
9. PS pulley and mount - ordering soon.

Next mods are BC Coilovers and 18" Black OZ Racing challenge wheels. That should give me the look I want. I'll also be completing the muffler/cat delete with straight pipes as well to give it a little more power and better sound. Here's a couple pics. Excuse my crappy looking garage.

Fatboy 18
12-14-2016, 04:53 AM
Welcome on board :) Nice ride :)

uvbnbit
12-14-2016, 05:35 AM
By the looks of that list, somebody's been doing some research...lol.
What crappy garage? All I see is the '98 RT/10. Good choice..:D

LifeIsGood
12-14-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm sure some of these new parts are coming from Mark Johnson at IPSCO (http://www.ipsco.org/). He's located just outside of Denver. He and his wife are very nice. You'll meet them and other nice folks if you join the local viper club.

Boosted Motorsports
12-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Hi All,
4. Poly Trans mount

Next mods are BC Coilovers and 18" Black OZ Racing challenge wheels. That should give me the look I want. I'll also be completing the muffler/cat delete with straight pipes as well to give it a little more power and better sound. Here's a couple pics. Excuse my crappy looking garage.

Nice purchase! Excellent list of mods as well! I just finished posting a bunch of DIY install and review videos of these parts. They are well worth the money. Check out my posts or my channel "Boosted2k" on YouTube. I also have the BC racing coilovers which ride great!

03evoIII
12-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Thanks all for the kind words!! I really like this site, glad I found it.

Yea I plan on purchasing other stuff from IPSCO...great stuff. I'll have to figure out how to join the local club..not sure how to do that yet.

Omalley - How do you like your BCs? Compared to stock? I can't wait to pick them up...I feel like the ride will be MUCH better. I should be getting them next month.

regards,
Scot

03evoIII
12-14-2016, 11:29 AM
By the looks of that list, somebody's been doing some research...lol.
What crappy garage? All I see is the '98 RT/10. Good choice..:D

LOL...yeah I have. Thanks!!

Any more pics of your rt10? I see you have the eibachs and caps..I almost went that route, but figured 18 yr old shocks need to go.

Regards,
Scot

97gtscoupe
12-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Congrats on your purchase! I myself and also a new member and new to the viper scene with a Gen2. Look forward to seeing your changes. I am looking to do some of those same upgrades!

BrianACR
12-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Congrats!! Sounds like you're gonna have some fun with your new baby! What system are you looking at going with for exhaust? You planning on headers too?
I did M&M headers and straight piped 3" right to the back. Have two magnaflow resonators right at the back, and I love the way it sounds!!

Mopar'er no car
12-14-2016, 01:32 PM

Welcome!

Yea I plan on purchasing other stuff from IPSCO...great stuff. I'll have to figure out how to join the local club..not sure how to do that yet.

Omalley - How do you like your BCs? Compared to stock? I can't wait to pick them up...I feel like the ride will be MUCH better. I should be getting them next month.

regards,
Scot

Just punch the Join Button on the Home Page. You can do it on line or call the home office during bussiness hrs. You will be able to select your reigon when joining.

Boosted Motorsports
12-14-2016, 02:46 PM

regards,
Scot

I love the BC coilovers! I have an ACR so my suspension was already twice as stiff as your to begin with. If you enjoy a firm and controlled ride you will love them. I have even stiffer springs than the normal BC racing setup. I opted 2k firmer on the rear which ended up being 14k. Overall there is no bounce and the car rides completely flat when cornering with no body roll. With the new Toyo R888 tires the car is a monster around corners. More upgrades to come though! Borla exhaust install and video this weekend and then poly urethane suspension bushings all 4 corners in a couple weeks so stay tuned :P

ViperRT98
12-14-2016, 07:14 PM

Here is my 1998 RT/10...... Welcome to Viper ownership BTW......

pony23
12-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Hi All,
Just received my 1998 Dodge Viper rt10 yesterday evening. I have always loved the gen 2 vipers and finally got one. I sold my 2001 Porsche 996 twin turbo a couple months ago to a buddy and another buddy of mine got me looking at vipers after he picked up his....so here we are. I specifically wanted a 96-99 MY (I plan on SC'ing it later this coming summer) and rt/10 over the GTS. I like both but figured I would get more enjoyment with the open roof on cruises and mountain drives. :) I found a decent deal and went for it...it needs a little TLC which I plan on giving it. Oh and I ordered some parts today....couldn't resist.

4. Poly Trans mount
7. Oil Catch can
8. SRP racing pedals

Great looking ride. Have a blast with it.

I see you come from a Porsche 996 TT, how do you think it compares to the Viper?

nautoncall
12-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Hi All,

4. Poly Trans mount
7. Oil Catch can
8. SRP racing pedals

Congrats. As a long time Viper owner, the 996 TT's have always been on my potential list. So how's the Viper compare? I know they are completely different beasts!!

03evoIII
12-14-2016, 10:29 PM
When I got in the viper after being pulled off the truck and drove it a few blocks home... I said to myself "WTF have I done!". Haha. :D The P-car was tight, more refined, no squeaks or rattles, quiet (even though I had a louder exhaust on it) and smooth. Even though the interior of the 996 was considered crappy in porsche circles...it's miles ahead of the my viper in terms of refinement. To be honest though, I knew that's what I would get with the viper.

I was more surprised how the loud the soft top is on the rt/10. It bugged me so much I took it off the car after the second drive...IMO..it sucks. Given the fact that my viper is 18 years old I'll give it a pass on a few things though. I plan on getting the BC coilovers soon so I'm really hoping that solves the harsh ride. My P-car was lowered on coilovers as well and it was planted, yet still comfortable. I would take both if I could, but cost of ownership (especially mods) for the p-car is considerably more so that's a downside. So yes two way different cars, so it's hard for me to even compare them. But I'm happy that I have the viper...I'll make it better. :)

Here's a pic of my 996TT.

uvbnbit
12-15-2016, 05:33 AM
LOL...yeah I have. Thanks!!

Any more pics of your rt10?

my FB page. :D

Ricketts
12-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Nice pickup! One day I plan on buying myself a red Rt/10 also.