PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Plymouth 440 manifold

CarolinaViper
12-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Changing from headers (put on in 1992), back to the original manifolds, on my 1971 GTX, but can not remember which of the holes had studs and which had bolts going into each head.. Ordered a bolt kit from Year One, but they do not think they show which goes where. Hoping that once I look at the studs and bolts I can figure it out, but if anyone knows for sure that would be very helpful.

Thx

Jeff

ICPREY
12-01-2016, 03:43 PM
There is a Mopar B-body forum that might prove more helpful. I had a 71 Roadrunner and a 71 Satellite and love that body style. Good luck with your search.

CarolinaViper
12-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I downloaded a 71 service manual, if I can't find the info, I will follow your suggestion.

Jeff

supersnake
12-17-2016, 09:11 AM
On mine there is studs in them all, as there is antifreeze behind the studs. Make sure you use a sealant on the threads going into the head or they will leak. If you bought the correct nut kit you will have long and short nuts and there usually is a diagram where they go but nothing to figure out. Don't forget your spark plug wire holders as well

J TNT
12-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Wire holders with proper spacing is a great idea , as 5 and 7 are long wires and in sequence in the firing order . Which contribute to electrical induction . Don't ask me how I know......lol !

Joel
12-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Jeff

My memory is that most of those engines had studs at front and rear so the manifold could be hung on the studs as the engines were assembled but that probably varies depending on the engine. I may have an old B-body block in the barn and I'll look. As was stated, I know at least the front (and maybe rear) is tapped into the water jacket. Using sealant is a good idea as they will weep coolant if not sealed.

CarolinaViper
12-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Guys,

Appreciate all the above info and advice...might have forgot the sealant when putting new studs in...its been to long since I had the motor apart.

supersnake
12-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Jeff

My memory is that most of those engines had studs at front and rear so the manifold could be hung on the studs as the engines were assembled but that probably varies depending on the engine. I may have an old B-body block in the barn and I'll look. As was stated, I know at least the front (and maybe rear) is tapped into the water jacket. Using sealant is a good idea as they will weep coolant if not sealed. I was under the understanding that it was only the front and rear stud that is in the water jacket, But found out the others will leak with no sealant as well. Removed and sealed, everything good now

FrankBarba
12-24-2016, 11:25 AM
I have left over OEM parts for a 69 Hemi Daytona is anything is needed.
Everything from Manuals, Books, Glass, Battery, Center Hub Caps with the Pentastar
on them....