PDA

View Full Version : The new Gen V Vipers

johniew398
01-15-2014, 08:57 AM
There have been numerous interesting posts about the Gen V Vipers and the new Z06.

Some say the Gen V is just a reskinned Gen IV. Now that I have had my TA for a few days I tend to disagree. Not because I own a Gen V but because I loved my Gen IV ACR and the woman who has sat in my right seat for 46 years is very candid about cars. She said the car feels a lot tighter than my ACR at least in the road feel.

Of course I haven't been able to do much with the car due to the weather and because it only as 125 miles on it so far. I can tell the differences though.

Plus it has some nice features, then again even just the base car has some nice features such as a home link system so you don't have to look for the garage door opener or reach for the visor. Now, I loved the ACR because it was just raw HP and not a lot of frills but having some of the refinements doesn't hurt.

Reskinned Gen IV: yes, I can see the lines of the older generations; however, I can see the new lines so I think the design is a mixture of old and new. I'm not sure why that is wrong? Of course if you want it to look like the new C7 Vette then make it look like a Nissan then. The Z06 is a nice looking car and I have owned two Z06's plus a ZR1. Their problem is most people see them and if they recognize it is a Corvette they have no idea it's a Z06 or ZR1 unless they are all like us. My ZR1 was super fast but it had more of a smooth feel to it when you got on it - not the kick you in your seat type power I love about the Vipers. That's fine for some, hell, my wife's SL550 is super fast for that matter.

Question: if you were designing the new Viper how do you keep what most of us, men and women love about the Vipers and update it? SRT has done just that as far as I'm concerned. It still has that feel of just raw horsepower and is at the same time updated and more HP. And then again some complain it should have even more HP. I imagine if Ralph and staff had come up with a 1,000 HP car some would still be saying they can't believe they didn't build a car with more horsepower.

Then again, young kids up to people above 70 can recognize a Viper or if not, they know it's not a Vette or some other common product.
I parked way out like I always do when I went to the Supercenter the other day. We came out and there was a Chevy truck near the Viper. As we got closer I could tell it was a man and his young son. The man said, "That's his dream car. He thought he would never see one around here."

For those who are fortunate enough to own a new Gen V and can go out and buy a new Z06 - GREAT. I would probably do the same thing if I had a bigger garage. When I decided to downsize to four vehicles guess which car lost out? The Vette. And that was after owning Vettes since 1985.

Anyway, as you can probably tell I love the Gen V and I love my new TA.

My hat is off to Ralph Gilles and his staff.

Space Truckin
01-15-2014, 10:52 AM
"Their problem is most people see them and if they recognize it is a Corvette they have no idea it's a Z06 or ZR1 unless they are all like us. My ZR1 was super fast but it had more of a smooth feel to it when you got on it - not the kick you in your seat type power I love about the Vipers"

I think you NAILED it, most people see the Z06/ ZR1 as a Corvette NOT!!! Always hated it, when filling up people would walk over and say "nice Corvette" needless to say the Z06 only lasted 1 yr with me :slap:

Policy Limits
01-15-2014, 12:32 PM
The new ACR is gonna be incredible, I can feel it

slitherv10
01-15-2014, 12:38 PM
I think the new ACR is going to be a TA with a wing and splitter, some tweeks in suspension and color combo's as well as mechanical or electronic tweeks, that will add 20-30 HP gain. The car will have a lot of Carbon fiber and lighter parts here and there.

Hope I m wrong though. (with the Hp anyway)

johniew398
01-15-2014, 12:51 PM
I think the new ACR is going to be a TA with a wing and splitter, some tweeks in suspension and color combo's as well as mechanical or electronic tweeks, that will add 20-30 HP gain. The car will have a lot of Carbon fiber and lighter parts here and there.

Hope I m wrong though. (with the Hp anyway)

20 - 30HP gain shouldn't be hard. We didn't dyno my TA but should have achieved that just with the Belangers and Corsa exhaust.

Policy Limits
01-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Your TA is one of the baddest Vipers on the planet right now; that must feel pretty good. :)

Nine Ball
01-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Good post. The wife factor is also important. My wife is a car enthusiast, and she never really liked riding in or driving my Gen 3 coupe. It was too rough, noisy, and the original clutch and transmission felt kind of sloppy. But, she loves driving the Gen 5. The upgraded interior and electronics also appeal to her.

Shooter
01-15-2014, 06:00 PM
The new ACR is gonna be incredible, I can feel it

It needs to be a seriously bad ass car. Too many good cars that are at or close to Gen V performance now. I hope the new C7 Z06 spurs SRT on to ACR greatness.

Policy Limits
01-15-2014, 06:31 PM
U do realize that ACR is an acronym for American Club Racing, right? ;)