PDA

View Full Version : True Used Viper Values

Creatre
01-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm new around here. But I have been on the other Viper boards for years as a lurker. Figure I'd post here as you'd likely be the nicest. I have always wanted a Viper from childhood, like most everyone here I'm sure. Anyways, just made some money in the stock market and going to finally pick up a Viper in the next few months. I'm leaning towards a Gen 3 convertible right now, but kind of considering a gen 1 as well. I've always liked convertibles, and as much as I like tracking cars and the lines of the gts, I just gotta have that drop top I think for cruising. And I'm not a huge fan of the gen 2 rt/10 verts, not sure why.

The problem is this: I can't figure out the true value of Vipers. I've been watching prices for about a month or two now, and they are all over the place. I'm seeing gen 3's listed from $38k to $60k+. I'm seeing gen 1's listed from $26k to $50k+. Not sure if these cars have been sitting forever at these prices, or if they actually sell that high. To me it's not that much harder to justify the extra $5-$10k for the gen3, that's why I'm leaning that way. My assumption is that right now is when they are the lowest because of it being winter. Mileage isn't a huge deal, I like driving my cars. I'd almost prefer something with a bit more miles because I know it's been driven and hasn't had many problems to get to that point.

Do you guys have tips on what you think is fair range to pay if I went the Gen1 or Gen3 route?

Ideally: Would find a Gen3 for $34-$36k (or Gen1 for $24-$26k) in the South East with newish tires (hate paying for tires after just buying a car). I'd accept exhaust mods, different rear gears, wheels, minor interior mods, etc. Would NOT want runflats, or any sort of tuning. Does that sound possible?

Thanks!!

Newport Viper
01-14-2014, 07:53 PM
http://driveviper.com/classifieds/

Fatboy 18
01-15-2014, 02:45 AM
Just keep looking, the right car will turn up at some point, personally I think your budget is a little low! You may find cheap cars out there on the Bay, its down to History, how many owners, mileage, ever damaged? tires, condition? Paintwork? Preferred colour?

Do your research and make sure you get a carfax, its not fool proof but its worth it.

Good Luck with your search :)

DreadLox
01-15-2014, 04:23 AM
All the people on this forum are great and I'm sure would gladly give you all the listings and advice you'd need! Make sure tho, that no matter what, you DO NOT settle on a color or viper you aren't 100% on. Especially when you are spending your hard earned money (you're a stock guy like myself, I respect that, make your money work for you). I almost settled because I couldn't find the Snakeskin Green color ACR I was looking for and my wife thankfully stopped me from settling on a different color.
Do you have a color preference? I love looking at cars, I can keep an eye out for you. If you are ok with spending some extra dough, any dealership anywhere can ship you the car (look between $1k-$4k extra for shipping) so that will expand your possibilities. You can find some good deals if you keep your eyes peeled. I've seen TONS of good deals in my "Snakeskin Green ACR" search days. Feel free to PM me if you want. I'll keep my eyes peeled
Good luck man!

ViperGTS
01-15-2014, 05:17 AM
Well, the outside looks of a Gen2 RT/10 are almost the same to a Gen1 RT/10 (e.g. wheels are different).
The Gen2 is a much better car with more power and 2002 with ABS. Airbag, real windows etc.

Therefore, I do not understand your not-liking a Gen2.

I personally would never buy a Gen3 -> Gen2 or Gen4. But, thats just me.
Gen3s can have issues (power steering, main bearings, ...).

Good luck with your search.

When checking out cars, see the belly - many accidents end up with a bent or otherwise damaged frame.

Garron
01-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Ideally: Would find a Gen3 for $34-$36k (or Gen1 for $24-$26k) in the South East with newish tires (hate paying for tires after just buying a car). I'd accept exhaust mods, different rear gears, wheels, minor interior mods, etc. Would NOT want runflats, or any sort of tuning. Does that sound possible?

Thanks!!

You have to actually go look at the cars that are for sale. Viper parts are expensive, so if you are looking at a car that has been in an accident it is not uncommon is see some very poorly repaired vehicles.
Your pricing seems low to me.

Creatre
01-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice, keep it coming. Those were just the prices I assumed a "good buy" would be for. It seems the value has increased over the last 1-2 years though, so I'm not sure if that was a good price point to shoot for, hence the thread. I will increase my target price point if you guys think it is necessary.

I do find it a bit odd that wrecked and salvaged Vipers are listed for sale about the same price as others. That does worry me, and one of the reasons I want to find one in the South East, so I can personally examine, even though I have flown out to buy cars in the past.

I'm not too picky in my search. As long as its in good condition, and not been in a wreck or repainted. All colors have their pro's con's, so anything would be OK there, but I'm leaning towards silver for sake of ease on detailing ocd mind.

Matt M, Pa
01-15-2014, 07:47 AM
I argee with those that say not to settle...get exactly wat you want. You may have to wait but it'll come to you. A few years ago, a friend of mine stumbled across a red 2003 at a dealership. It had under 2000 miles....and while I don't recall the exact price he paid...it was more than reasonable.

I will disagree about a Gen 2 Rt being "better" than a Gen 1. They are different...not necessarily better than each other. Me? I have a 2000 GTS I bought new and a '96 RT that I got a number of years ago. I had a '94 Rt years ago that I missed from the day it left so when the time came to get another roadster I only wanted an early one. I prefer it over the Gen 2.

daveg
01-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Have only a few things I can add..

If it were me and I was buying an RT/10, it would buy a 97 and up (preferably a 98) OR a 92 because of first year.
Buy a virgin and not a whore. You will save money and time in the long run.. Its hard to turn a whore into a virgin and a whore can carry history.
Like the Gen II’s more than anything…
Most of all… Have fun in your quest… I wish I was buying an additional one… Would probably be a 92 RT/10. Would look nice next to my 96 GTS..

Matt M, Pa
01-15-2014, 09:01 AM
In response to daveg...I'd add.

If you want roll up windows..a Gen 2 or later is a must.

If you're buying a Viper to drive...I wouldn't pay the premium to get a '92. (As an investment...maybe a different story) With the exception of the rear antenna the '92, '93, '94 and '95 look almost identical. 1994 was a high year for production so there is a bigger pool of candidates....and a lower price than a '92.

Also...if you are considering a Gen 1...try to get one with A/C. I found lots of crazy low mileage Gen 1s and the common factor seemed to be no a/c.

Finally...I couldn't agree more that you should buy the best car you can find. Parts are expensive and fixing up a lesser car will cost more than just buying the right car in the first place. When I was looking for an early RT a number of years ago I found a lot of beat-up cars.

slowhatch
01-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, I'm new around here. But I have been on the other Viper boards for years as a lurker. Figure I'd post here as you'd likely be the nicest. I have always wanted a Viper from childhood, like most everyone here I'm sure. Anyways, just made some money in the stock market and going to finally pick up a Viper in the next few months. I'm leaning towards a Gen 3 convertible right now, but kind of considering a gen 1 as well. I've always liked convertibles, and as much as I like tracking cars and the lines of the gts, I just gotta have that drop top I think for cruising. And I'm not a huge fan of the gen 2 rt/10 verts, not sure why.

The problem is this: I can't figure out the true value of Vipers. I've been watching prices for about a month or two now, and they are all over the place. I'm seeing gen 3's listed from $38k to $60k+. I'm seeing gen 1's listed from $26k to $50k+. Not sure if these cars have been sitting forever at these prices, or if they actually sell that high. To me it's not that much harder to justify the extra $5-$10k for the gen3, that's why I'm leaning that way. My assumption is that right now is when they are the lowest because of it being winter. Mileage isn't a huge deal, I like driving my cars. I'd almost prefer something with a bit more miles because I know it's been driven and hasn't had many problems to get to that point.

Do you guys have tips on what you think is fair range to pay if I went the Gen1 or Gen3 route?

Thanks!!

I think 34-36k is doable for a '03/'04 vert with 30k-40k miles on it. If you'd like a cleaner, lower mileage car i think you will need to step up to around 38-42k.

ViperGTS
01-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Go and buy the book "Viper buyers guide" first...:p

Taylor
01-15-2014, 09:43 AM
I also think the value is in the eye of the beholder. I have been looking for years for a r/t, had to be red, I wanted a gen 1, but after doing some research, the hood,more power, real windows all fit me better, the only thing I wish it had was the side pipes, I love those.

I finally found that special car October 30th 2013, 1 owner, 18k miles, showroom new condition, completely stock and red, I paid a premium for the car and I could car less, I bought my dream ride and could not be more happy.

Just so you can compare to what your looking at. Guy wanted $40k for car, gave him $35k cash.

I am nothing but happy, so find the car you want, not the price and get it!

- - - Updated - - -

I borrowed that book from a friend, great learning tool.

Martin
01-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Part of the fun of buying these cars is searching for the right one, so enjoy it and don't try to rush it.

Prices can be all over the place because the littlest things will affect the price of a car for someone who really knows the cars. Prices are pretty consistent for "no stories" cars that were well maintained. When you start seeing cars that look like the price is too good to be true, it's either because the seller is in a bind and needs to unload immediately, or there is a story behind it. The latter is usually the case. I know of a lot of cars out there that got wrecked and fixed under the radar. Most of them had good work done and it doesn't really matter - but one of these days someone's going to look under the covers and say "hmm - there was definitely some work done here...". The minute that becomes obvious, value drops. The purist buyers want a car with no stories unless they plan to track it or really have fun with it.

LeadfootRT10
01-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Look for little anomalies that might indicate bigger issues. If they've cut corners once, they've probably cut more that you can't see. I once saw a car with hood pins. Not exactly a big deal, but if they weren't willing to spring for the cost of a new hood latch what else did they skip? Another example, I saw a car that had an aftermarket steering wheel and an aluminum plate where the passenger air bag should be. Clearly the car had the airbags blown at some point. Neither seller noted that the cars had been in accidents.

Personally, i bought a car that was a "whore" but i knew exactly what the extent of the original damage was, i had known the man who fixed it for 10 years, and i knew exactly what the car would need to bring it back to perfect condition. I saved a serious amount of money this way and got a beautiful car with only 10K miles on it. I have no plans to sell the car so i don't mind the salvage title even though i could get quite a bit more money for the car now that it's in good condition.

Thawk97
01-15-2014, 11:30 AM
I also picked up the Viper Buyer's Guide years before getting my first (which was just this fall - finally!). I also agree whole heartedly with getting the right color/style from the beginning. Several times I nearly compromised and got an RT when what I really wanted was a GTS. With patience, I was able to get a B/W GTS for what I considered a phenomenal deal - and that's what I'd always wanted. Can't tell you how satisfying it is (even when it's just sitting in the garage during the winter) to know I was able to get THE Viper for me, not just A Viper.

Some good patience and diligence on the front end is SO worth it! Good Luck!

Silver04
01-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Too low of price, in my opinion...would expect you to pay a lil' more.

Ninjakris
01-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Just my opinion, but you should be able to find a no stories silver GEN III in the high 30's with under 30K miles if you look hard enough. I actually found both my vipers on autotrader. What I paid and what they were listed for were two different things. Look for dealerships that took the viper in as a trade. Chances are they don't know what they have and since its not their specialty, you might have a better chance at getting a deal. Be prepaired to wait. It took me 3 months to find my first snake, and around 4 months to find my current viper. Check insurance prices as well. If a GEN I is a lot higher or lower than a GEN III, thats something to keep in mind as well. For what its worth, I sold my 03' with 19K miles for 39K about 7 months ago. Your prices are pretty close. Good luck and keep us posted.

slitherv10
01-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Funny how we all drop the values of our cars when were buying and increase them when we own them.

Something is always worth what someone is willing to pay for it given normal circumstances.

A Viper is a Viper, they are all beautiful in their own way. No fugly ones. In the end stick to your budget and get the best car for you money.

Your ultimate goal is just to own one....anyone !!

Vipes
01-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Search the completed listing (advanced search) on ebay to help you get an idea of what these cars are actually selling for. Be patient and don't settle! It took me almost a year to find the perfect clean title/carfax car I wanted. Have you ever sat in or driven a gen I and III? The gen III has a nice looking dash/interior that doesn't look like a 90's neon, abs, airbags, more performance and reliability. I wouldn't let a tune scare you away. Most viper guys that put on an intake and exhaust tune the car and usually conservatively. The gen III motors are reliable with a safe tune. My buddy bought an 04 brand new and throw a paxton blower and exhaust. Believe it or not the Dodge dealership installed it and honored his warranty since they did the work. 10 years later no issues and the car is still running strong.

chesapeake07
01-15-2014, 01:11 PM

That book is super expensive on Amazon...

DreadLox
01-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Found three that are decent offers. First is red, and decent miles for the price $35k. It's in Utah tho,

http://www.prestmanauto.com/used/Dodge/2003-Dodge-Viper-Salt-Lake-City-8124deda0a0a004901eb186ac5791ae2.htm

The other is a copperhead edition in Illinois, a bit more in price but a nice car.
$43k

http://www.gmotorcars.com/inventory/view/6960972?2005+Dodge+Viper+2dr+Convertible+SRT10+Cop perhead+Edition%21+Arlington+Heights+IL

The last one is silver and middle ranged price to the other two $39k. In Illinois too

http://www.bahaauto.com/detail.aspx?id=3798776&PrefID=0&.aspx

C.J
01-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Try contacting Maurice Liang directly for the Viper Buyer's Guide. I purchased mine directly from Maurice about 4 years ago. Not sure he still sells them, but give him a try.

slitherv10
01-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Found three that are decent offers. First is red, and decent miles for the price $35k. It's in Utah tho,

http://www.prestmanauto.com/used/Dodge/2003-Dodge-Viper-Salt-Lake-City-8124deda0a0a004901eb186ac5791ae2.htm

The other is a copperhead edition in Illinois, a bit more in price but a nice car.
$43k

http://www.gmotorcars.com/inventory/view/6960972?2005+Dodge+Viper+2dr+Convertible+SRT10+Cop perhead+Edition%21+Arlington+Heights+IL

The last one is silver and middle ranged price to the other two $39k. In Illinois too

Best deal in my opinion is the first 03 Red....lower miles , looks very clean and cheapest.

slowhatch
01-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Yup if that red one is solid, no crazy accidents or stories, thats a solid deal right there.

Creatre
01-15-2014, 04:22 PM

$43k

Thanks!! What search engine were you using to find those? I had not seen the top two. I've been using ebay, cars.com, autotrader.com.

The red one I would guess has had some paintwork on the front fascia. Missing Viper front badge without any other appearance mods gives me a bad feeling. Like some others have said and I think they may be onto something, and that if they are priced low, they are done so for a reason. I may not be able to get in at that price point.

I'll look into the other ones.

I'm not really expecting to find something perfect right away, like I said, I've already been glancing around a month or two, and wouldn't be surprised if I continue to have to keep looking for another few months. Definitely going to take my time like everyone said here.

slitherv10
01-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Thanks!! What search engine were you using to find those? I had not seen the top two. I've been using ebay, cars.com, autotrader.com.

The red one I would guess has had some paintwork on the front fascia. Missing Viper front badge without any other appearance mods gives me a bad feeling. Like some others have said and I think they may be onto something, and that if they are priced low, they are done so for a reason. I may not be able to get in at that price point.

I'm not really expecting to find something perfect right away, like I said, I've already been glancing around a month or two, and wouldn't be surprised if I continue to have to keep looking for another few months. Definitely going to take my time like everyone said here.

A lot of guys with Red Vipers tend to hide the fact that it is a Viper and remove the logos.

Don't worry, its a Viper owners thing.

Now if its the Blue and white...then most have more logos than needed. Reverse effect.

Plus blue ones are faster.:dude3:

SLViper
01-15-2014, 05:07 PM

First car says Branded Title, count on discounting this car 8-10K from the non-salvage clean vehicles of the same year and miles.

First car says Branded Title, count on discounting this car 8-10K from the non-salvage clean vehicles of the same year and miles. This is what it will take when you deciced to sell it.
Better yet let someone else buy it and hold out for one that has been stored waxed and loved by a caring owner!

DreadLox
01-15-2014, 09:07 PM
First car says Branded Title, count on discounting this car 8-10K from the non-salvage clean vehicles of the same year and miles. This is what it will take when you deciced to sell it.
Better yet let someone else buy it and hold out for one that has been stored waxed and loved by a caring owner!

Glad you caught that, I did not see that :)

DreadLox
01-15-2014, 09:08 PM

I used my cars.com app
And autotrader app but I found all of those on the cars one
But..... I just looked for it and it is GONE.... ? Idk maybe it sold?

Another search site
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/Dodge_Viper

Or anyone else you can buy this ACR for the low price of......
$300,000... Ugh?
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/2008_Dodge_Viper_224260302_16

Slaughterj
01-15-2014, 10:24 PM
My accident-free Silver 2005 SRT is for sale in the low $30ks, has 60k miles but well maintained mechanically and been replacing some worn interior components recently (and brand new platinum battery this week), and I'm in the southeast, North Carolina. I bought the car from the well regarded Roanoke Dodge with 7k and it's been a daily driver of mine for the past 8 years. Need to check my tires though, probably up for rears in a few thousand miles IIRC. Has the various rock chips, wheel rash, etc. expected for that kind of mileage though.

I'm in no rush to sell as I'd prefer to replace it with a Gen V vert, but don't expect those for a couple of years.

Garron
01-15-2014, 10:25 PM

I find when you pull the bumper covers off on these "branded cars" everything is still broken. They just replace a bumper cover, bondo up the sills and call it a day.

swexlin
01-16-2014, 06:09 AM
My accident-free Silver 2005 SRT is for sale in the low $30ks, has 60k miles but well maintained mechanically and been replacing some worn interior components recently (and brand new platinum battery this week), and I'm in the southeast, North Carolina. I bought the car from the well regarded Roanoke Dodge with 7k and it's been a daily driver of mine for the past 8 years. Need to check my tires though, probably up for rears in a few thousand miles IIRC. Has the various rock chips, wheel rash, etc. expected for that kind of mileage though.

I'm in no rush to sell as I'd prefer to replace it with a Gen V vert, but don't expect those for a couple of years.

Nice to see our cars hold up with daily driving. I have 31,000 miles on my 03 (bought it with 23,000 in April 2010), not a daily driver though.

Slaughterj
01-16-2014, 08:46 AM
These are just cars, not artwork, they're meant to be driven, I sold my 98 with 85k miles on it.

FLATOUT
01-16-2014, 11:46 AM
I find when you pull the bumper covers off on these "branded cars" everything is still broken. They just replace a bumper cover, bondo up the sills and call it a day.

Maybe if you buy a terrible rebuild.

There are some branded cars that are put back together and setup by major shops that can be excellent buys. I suggest that if anyone is looking at a branded title car that they really understand and wrench on the platform they are looking at.

I am extremely familiar with working on Vipers, and have done some exstensive upgrades in the past like coupe rear conversions on verts, and other installs. I have a two post lift in my garage so it was no problem for me to spend a good deal of time looking the car over, it was rebuilt by a respected guy, and setup and track tested by Archer Racing.

I guess my caveat for a branded car is that they can very wildly in terms of the quality and workmanship that goes into putting them back together, and the severity of the accident that caused the problem in the first place.

Some are excellent values and are great cars while others are complete heaps. You need to do your homework on them and if you do you can be rewarded with a great buy.

Andy

slitherv10
01-16-2014, 12:25 PM
At the end of the day if your paying 20-30% less than fair market value of the said vehicle (branded), then your ok. That all depends of course on your intended use of the car. If your looking at buying and re selling it to get a profit, then I would be weary. If you bought it with the intention of realizing the loss in re sell yet, your intended use made no difference to the sale, then go for it.
In other words, if you bought a car to modify it ( TT, SC, body, aero improvements) etc, then perfect. You save thousands off the price and used that savings to inject into your dream car.
The hit that you take in the end for a branded car is offset from the savings you made initially anyways. So your no further behind someone selling a clean stock car for say 50K and your selling the same car for 40K. You sold 10K less but, you bought it 10K less anyways.

I for one would not have a problem buying a well documented branded car for say 10K less and using that money for extras or just keeping the savings and selling the car for 10K less when its time to do so.

swexlin
01-16-2014, 12:27 PM
These are just cars, not artwork, they're meant to be driven, I sold my 98 with 85k miles on it.

I agree. I wish time and the weather cooperated more for me to drive mine!

BadAndy
01-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Not sure how this works, my CAR picked ME ! :o