PDA

View Full Version : Oil change interval for my 2017

Viper Granny
11-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Time to pick your brains again, sorry but not sorry cause you all rock! I'm at 1002 miles now. Had first oil change at just over 500. The owners manual is no help before 6000. Am I supposed to have it changed once more at 1000, then again at 3000? Thanks in advance for your time.

Toolhead
11-20-2016, 07:59 PM
I just had my 500 mile oil change. I chatted with the Viper tech about a number of topics and told me I should change oil every three thousand miles.

Viper Granny
11-20-2016, 08:16 PM
I just had my 500 mile oil change. I chatted with the Viper tech about a number of topics and told me I should change oil every three thousand miles.
Ok that sounds right. I don't track my car so I'm not anticipating much oil usage. Thank you for the response.

Toolhead
11-20-2016, 08:25 PM
I don't plan on tracking mine either.

Policy Limits
11-20-2016, 08:27 PM
My manual says every 6 months so that's what I've done for 3.5 years now

ViperJon
11-21-2016, 06:06 AM
That must be in the manual to give Dodge dealers some business. Changing your oil every six months is a complete waste of money unless you are putting 6K+ on the car in that time frame. NO modern oil is going to break down and become ineffective in that short a time. But hey it's your money.

Viper Granny
11-21-2016, 06:09 AM
My manual says every 6 months so that's what I've done for 3.5 years now

Mine does too. Or 6000 miles. I live in FL so it will be driven year round.

sadil
11-21-2016, 07:06 AM
Oil, especially synthetic, lasts a long time and 3k miles or 6 months is a very short period. However, it is also the cheapest insurance you can get to keep your engine running well. Im doing my oil changes myself so itll cost me about a 100 bucks to change my oil whenever i want. To me its worth it and I would never go 6 months without changing it. The 3k miles and 6 months rule is bang on in my opinion. Could you run it past that? Totally, just up to you in the end.

dmann
11-21-2016, 08:25 AM
What about the cars that sit on the lots for years and don't sell? I know there would be virtually no contaminates but still.

sadil
11-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Dealer will sell it to you. Your job is to demand that the oil be changed before delivery. Fresh oil never goes wrong.

serpent
11-21-2016, 10:42 AM
That must be in the manual to give Dodge dealers some business. Changing your oil every six months is a complete waste of money unless you are putting 6K+ on the car in that time frame. NO modern oil is going to break down and become ineffective in that short a time. But hey it's your money.
+1 you guys changing oil and not even driving the car, let's say you drove 2/3 times in the passed 6 months and only put 200 miles. You will still change the oil?
It's not like the car is sitting outside either, it's likely in a garage that doesn't get too hot or too cold.

Oil companies are making $$$ off you guys. Lol

Dave1968
11-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately I think you have to approach it in one of two ways given the problems with debris, etc... One, if you feel OK about letting the warranty handle any problems and don't mind your car sitting at the dealer while they decide how to fix your car, then do the basic fluid changes when FCA recommends as per the manual and hope for the best. Two, practice a regime of "over maintenance" and change all the fluids at much lower intervals. Change the diff. now. Change oil at say 1500 miles given you already did at 500. Diff and tranny at 3000 miles and the engine oil again say at 5000. I know this gets expensive, but it may save problems later. This is not about ensuring the additives in the oil are fresh, it's about flushing out the crap. If the diff. is going to go it will probably exhibit noises soon, otherwise keep it clean and it should be fine. I have driven my car hard and practiced this regime - 22,000 kms and holding.

Voice of Reason
11-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Some of us don't have regular "change" intervals as much as we have "constantly adding oil because it magically evaporates from our engine" intervals.

If you're racing then up your frequency from the factory 6k. But if not and you're just putting around town then there's nothing special going on in the engine that doesn't happen in a V6 Grand Cherokee that has 10k factory intervals.

Policy Limits
11-21-2016, 12:28 PM

If I had a garage queen with 1k miles, then yeah. But I've had mine out on the race track a couple of times. The oil is, what's that colorful expression utilized by that long islander? Oh: "chump change. " lolz