PDA

View Full Version : TPMS reset options

supertanch
11-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Sorry that if this has already been discussed in some way, just want to get a quick answer.

After the last track day, the TPMS on my GenV ACR has been acting weird, where both of the left tire sensors constantly displays 3PSIs higher than the right tire sensors.

I measured using an external gauge that despite the tire pressures are the same between left/right, the sensor still shows the difference in the display.

Does this mean a faulty sensor or is there way that I could reset/recalibrate the sensor?

BJG32
11-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Are ACR tires directional? If not have you tried swapping sides and seeing what that does?

Steve-Indy
11-18-2016, 01:22 PM
My answer is...I don't know much about the Gen V system.

However, I have seen something similar...if you can bare with me on this lengthy "reach":

IF the track was a clockwise track thereby heating the left tires more than the right (assuming equal pressures cold)...AND if you came off of the track and loaded the ACR into a trailer...AND if you have not driven the ACR since and are just reading the display in a static state...you COULD still be seeing the track pressure settings. Driving the ACR as outlined below MAY bring up more accurate readings:

FROM the 2015 Dodge Viper Service Info CD:
"These sensors start to transmit data after the wheel has reached a speed of approximately 32 km/h (20 mph). Because the BCM knows vehicle speed, it will mask this fault for 70 seconds after the vehicle speed is greater than 32 km/h (20 mph)."

If you do not have a Gen V CD and want a little more info on this system, drop an email to me.

As I said, "My answer is...I don't know much about the Gen V system."

supertanch
11-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have the gen v CD, just that I wanted to know if there's a way the sensor can be completely reset. Since on the track, the sensor could give a much better direct view of the tire pressure change live rather than waiting off track to measure.
I've driven the car with some mileage after the last track day, but the imbalance of the reading is still there.

VENOM V
11-18-2016, 03:45 PM
My sensors in both my 2013 GTS and 2016 ACR have been accurate to within 1 psi on the track, however I was surprised to see the ones at Bondurant giving wacky inaccurate readings. They said that due to the frequency of tire changes, the sensors became inaccurate. However I don't know if that can be overcome with calibration, it's a good question.

BJG32
11-18-2016, 03:49 PM
I would say this is a warranty item the dealer should fix. Make them order 2 new TPMS and install.

supertanch
11-18-2016, 04:09 PM
My sensors in both my 2013 GTS and 2016 ACR have been accurate to within 1 psi on the track, however I was surprised to see the ones at Bondurant giving wacky inaccurate readings. They said that due to the frequency of tire changes, the sensors became inaccurate. However I don't know if that can be overcome with calibration, it's a good question.

I did have frequent rotation of the tires but only one set of change so far... It did start happening after the change tho..

supertanch
11-18-2016, 04:11 PM
I would say this is a warranty item the dealer should fix. Make them order 2 new TPMS and install.
Trying to save the trip ;)

Steve-Indy
11-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Time for a wiTECH.

BlueAdder
11-18-2016, 05:19 PM

I noticed the same thing on the Viper I was provided.
I had issues on my Focus ST but it was different since I have two sets of wheels and after one change, the TPMS in the stock wheels went out of whack. I ended up disabling the whole TPMS thing altogether. It's easy on the ST because there is a software that read/writes values into the PCM via a ODB II to USB device.

Normally you can get a tool to reset the sensors one by one but I think that's only dealers have that thing. Some cars have an internal system as well, like pressing the hazzards like 6 times and do some other convoluted operations...

Normally the sensors will get back into shape after driving for some 10min at 20+ MPH.
If they're toast, that's a different story, and they aren't cheap.

ViperGeorge
11-18-2016, 05:39 PM
MyTPMS gave the malfunction warning twice now even though the sensors were correctly reporting pressures. The first time I had the dealer reset it. The second time it went away after several startups and drives. Happened both times after changing wheels even though the system is supposed to recognize new sensors automatically.