PDA

View Full Version : License Plate holder from partsrack

ViperSmith
01-13-2014, 05:21 PM
I finally got around to ordering one. The stock one that comes with the car is garbage. You have to somehow magically drill into the front bumper - which would require taking the bumper off to install.

the one from parts rack is a quick release. you install a base under the bumper to preexising holes/screws and there is a quick release eyelet to pull it off

I don't plan on having it always on the car, but when I don't feel like being harassed by the police it will be a great alternative. DC is particularly bad, because they will charge you without a front plate - even if your car isn't registered in DC but your state requires a plate...

http://i.imgur.com/o5TWQhzl.jpg

ViperSmith
01-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Here is the underside as posted by someone http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb368/Garrettnalepka/Bracket_2013_Viper_bracket_under_shot_zps24987ad7. jpg

cashcorn
01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
I'd rather pay the ticket.. I feel for you. those bastards!

ViperSmith
01-13-2014, 05:35 PM
I'd rather pay the ticket.. I feel for you. those bastards!

This is more when wife and I go out to dinner and I have a glass of wine - no need to have a stupid reason to be pulled over.

I rarely plan to have it on!

BlackSnake99
01-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Been driving in DC/Va/Md with no front plate on several different vehicles. Never had an issue.

ViperSmith
01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Been driving in DC/Va/Md with no front plate on several different vehicles. Never had an issue.

I got pulled over in Arlington and was issued a warning 2 months after I got the car. Lazy motorcycle cops.

viperr
01-13-2014, 06:55 PM
It sucks to have to put a plate on the front and make the face ugly, especially on the Gen V. I have a Gen II here in Washington State and for some reason our county feels it is important to stop cars without front plates that have done nothing else wrong. I have the earlier model rubber mount and I have the plate on most of the time I am in our county. When I go elsewhere I usually take it off. I drove to Charlotte and back in 2012 without the plate and was never bothered. Go figure!

Bill Pemberton
01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Wouldn't work on the new Snake , but Mark Jorgensen came up with what I considered to be one of the simplest and most brilliant answers to a plate on the Gen III/IVs. Nebraska is pretty picky
on having front plates so he put a velcro strip in the center of the Viper crosshair's nose and then another on the back of the plate. We both successfully have driven at 140 mph without them coming
off. Now ( in Nebraska ) you can buy a classic/show/custom car plate for an extra amount and avoid the front plate, but for awhile the velcro strip was the ticket to win in the Cornhusker State.

johniew398
01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Too bad there isn't an exemption on those states that require a front plate.

HyperViper
01-13-2014, 07:14 PM
There should be an exemption on cars over $xxxxx. You pay more for license and registration to drive on the same roads. That's not counting the extra in sales tax.

Sybil TF
01-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Well its looks good for what it is.I had to get one of the snap on ones for my Gen 2. Illinois sucks! Pulled over and given a warning. Blah.

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Important note: That plate bracket (thanks) uses a single spring-pin, and the entire plate and forward bracket assembly pops off in 5 seconds! It operates like a 'slide trombone.' Keep it in the trunk after you smash some bugs on it....

City
01-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Mark Jorgensen came up with what I considered to be one of the simplest and most brilliant answers to a plate on the Gen III/IVs. Nebraska is pretty picky
on having front plates so he put a velcro strip in the center of the Viper crosshair's nose and then another on the back of the plate. We both successfully have driven at 140 mph without them coming
off. Now ( in Nebraska ) you can buy a classic/show/custom car plate for an extra amount and avoid the front plate, but for awhile the velcro strip was the ticket to win in the Cornhusker State.

That's fine until the LEO's pull on the plate and it comes off. Luckily, both my Parts Rack Gen 2 and Gen 4 brackets have clips that are actually strong enough to move the car forward when pulled. The LEO's around here get pissed and actually tug on the plate. SOB's use some technicality that the plate has to be "firmly affixed" to the car.

jred2255
01-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Reviving this thread. Has anyone found a better solution than what ViperSmith is using? i might have to pick up that frame later today. I just picked up my Gen 5 and in Minnesota the police just LOVE to pull you over for no front plate.

ICPREY
01-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Nice bracket, I know a few SRT 8 Jeep guys use an electric motor version that's hidden until you get pulled over...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOoZsowFe7Q

Stealth
01-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Reviving this thread. Has anyone found a better solution than what ViperSmith is using? i might have to pick up that frame later today. I just picked up my Gen 5 and in Minnesota the police just LOVE to pull you over for no front plate.

No need for a better solution--that setup is awesome and high-quality. It is also basically invisible if you do not have the bracket holding the plate plugged into the front.

I have it installed and carry the plate in the back. So for I have never actually used the plate but I will if traveling to areas that ticket. Certain SoCal Cities (Laguna Beach, San Diego) will ticket or pull you over for no front plate just for revenue purposes.

jred2255
01-19-2016, 02:39 PM
No need for a better solution--that setup is awesome and high-quality. It is also basically invisible if you do not have the bracket holding the plate plugged into the front.

I have it installed and carry the plate in the back. So for I have never actually used the plate but I will if traveling to areas that ticket. Certain SoCal Cities (Laguna Beach, San Diego) will ticket or pull you over for no front plate just for revenue purposes.

Got it, just ordered mine 5 minutes ago. I take it install if relatively painless?

Stealth
01-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Yes, painless. As noted above, it uses the same holes/bolts already at the bottom of the fascia. So no drilling, etc. required. Only the small female receptor tubes are visible from the underside when the male portion of the bracket is not installed. It is a very slick setup.

Slithr
01-19-2016, 03:36 PM
That's fine until the LEO's pull on the plate and it comes off. Luckily, both my Parts Rack Gen 2 and Gen 4 brackets have clips that are actually strong enough to move the car forward when pulled. The LEO's around here get pissed and actually tug on the plate. SOB's use some technicality that the plate has to be "firmly affixed" to the car.

I just love "Land of the Free" stories like this. BTW, remember it's about your safety and has nothing to do with revenue.

The bracket looks like a good idea, until you take that inevitable first Viper scrape.

ViperSmith
01-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Yeah you aren't going to find a better solution than this :)

viperr
01-23-2016, 01:09 PM
While I was driving across the country from Illinois in my Gen V I worried about the license plate issue. I live in a county where the local sheriff's feel the most important mission is to make sure those "fancy pants sports cars" have a big ugly plate installed. I had been stopped a couple of times with the Gen II and was able to haul out my bug encrusted plated mounted on the rubber mounts and talk them out of it. I knew I had no such thing for the GTS. I talked to Jon B and I had it at my door in a day. It is a very well engineered piece and I had it installed in 20 minutes. It is as unobtrusive as I can imagine. The quality of manufacturing is over the top. I will be sure to run it long enough to get the plate grubby and then take it off when traveling outside of our county. By the way, a local Challenger driver was in a fender bender and the kind sheriff tacked on a $240 ticket for no front plate in addition to the citation.

Jdmuscle
01-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Tell them the communist stole the plate and there is plot going on to take one plate away from everyone... Front plates are useless... Makes no sense.. It even hinders with the aerodynamics, we probably could've avoided the gas guzzler tax if it wasn't for this

dethred
01-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Haven't driven with a front plate for most of the past decade in VA, and only got pulled over once by Park Rangers, who let me off because of a good excuse I had (and undoubtedly the "Support Law Enforcement" magnet I had on my trunk).

I'll pay the inevitable fine and keep my cars plate-less, thank you very much. Otherwise it looks like a clever solution.