PDA

View Full Version : coming from gtr

alilodhi12
10-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Hello guys.. so im thinking about selling my 15 gtr for a 14 viper.. i used to have a 06 viper and the only problem i had with it was the unbearable cabin heat.
i hope that problem is somewhat fixed. i was reading into the new vipers and have been seeing some engine problems on stock vipers? i also had a hellcat with the gtr and sold it because of all the problems it gave me.

But im in the situation where i dont drive as much as i used to and want a fun weekend toy.
Anything i should look out for before pulling the trigger?

mnc2886
10-27-2016, 12:39 PM
No cabin heat issues for me. Not even on my 2010 either. The Gen III's exhaust design was to blame for that.

I'd be on thr lookout for the R28 and R29 recalls. A car with the R28 recall will have a 10 yr power train warranty.

Not sure what colors you are looking at, but some white cars had yellowing occur on the sills housing the exhaust. I'd look out for that, but I believe that is covered by warranty.

Lastly, turn on the rear defroster.

Good luck and I hope to see you join the club soon!

alilodhi12
10-27-2016, 12:43 PM
thank you for you input!
im looking for either a white or black one.
yeah whats the deal with the defroster?

Policy Limits
10-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Door handle campaign (the doors could pop open during operation), engine contamination one (debris can be in block), oil consumption one, u connect one (a hacker can drive u off a cliff) rear defroster can blow out your hatch window potentially if utilized, lots of cars with defective horns that sound randomly (air bag assembly replacement is the fix if applicable), some guys have complained about rear diff whine and there's a recall on certain cars (supplier issue), about ten percent made are lemons (so check car fax and title), the heat in cabin issue has been largely mitigated and improved from prior generations. Big switch from Japanese engineering. Good luck.

zee
10-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Cabin heat issue has vastly improved from prior generations. Definitely still can get a little hot but AC works great. Be sure to try the different models as the seats IMO make a big differnece. I really like the base seats a lot more than the leather options. Most engine failures occur below 6k miles -Lots of info on the forum about R28 and R29. I have 9,000 miles on my TA and never had any issues including its previous owners who also said was trouble free. It's weird that some G5's have absolutely 0 issues and others I hear horror stories. I purposely bought one with some miles on it for my own piece of mind.

BlknBlu
10-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Door handle campaign (the doors could pop open during operation), engine contamination one (debris can be in block), oil consumption one, u connect one (a hacker can drive u off a cliff) rear defroster can blow out your hatch window potentially if utilized, lots of cars with defective horns that sound randomly (air bag assembly replacement is the fix if applicable), some guys have complained about rear diff whine and there's a recall on certain cars (supplier issue), about ten percent made are lemons (so check car fax and title), the heat in cabin issue has been largely mitigated and improved from prior generations. Big switch from Japanese engineering. Good luck.

All this and it is still a great car.

Bruce

serpent
10-27-2016, 03:57 PM
As far as exhaust heat, has anyone tried spraying vht flame proof not only on the pipes that go under the door sills, but the surrounding area?

mnc2886
10-27-2016, 04:05 PM
thank you for you input!
im looking for either a white or black one.
yeah whats the deal with the defroster?

There seems to be an issue with some Vipers that the rear defroster isn't properly installed or something and when it is used, it will shatter the rear hatch glass.

Terminator02
10-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Lots of problems policy listed but for practicality, make sure that there was NOT ever an aftermarket PCM on the car or you will be denied warranty coverage or ineligible for the 10 yr r28 warranty extensions. Chances of spinning a bearing is low but it's a statistically significant percentage which is why many are upset on the forums and why it will appear bigger than reality. If you plan to mod then just understand you have a relatively low risk of needing to have funds to fix the engine.

Good luck in your search. If looking at 14s I'd imagine the best reason to look in that year are for TA 1.0s. If you aren't looking at a TA 1.0, look at 2015 models simply for a bit more power, nice mid level GT model, and to my knowledge, the lowest number of reported spun bearings. Good luck. Imo, it's a way more fun vehicle to drive than the gtr. It's so much more driver dependent and you truly feel more connected to the car while driving and therefore more accountable for every move!

ViperPete
10-27-2016, 04:45 PM
I work at a Nissan dealer and have sold several GTR's over the years. The GTR is a unique car. In my personal opinion, its not unique in good ways. I could never fall in love with it. It is a passionless sports car. The computers do all the work for you. I just don't like it.

The Viper on the other hand is beautiful to look at. The smell of the Sepia interior is amazing every single time. The car growls at you every time you start it up. They are all hand built. Ownership is being part of something special.

It isn't a prefect car by some standards, but then again perfection doesn't necessarily mean being flawless.

USCDOC
10-27-2016, 05:00 PM
I work at a Nissan dealer and have sold several GTR's over the years. The GTR is a unique car. In my personal opinion, its not unique in good ways. I could never fall in love with it. It is a passionless sports car. The computers do all the work for you. I just don't like it.

The Viper on the other hand is beautiful to look at. The smell of the Sepia interior is amazing every single time. The car growls at you every time you start it up. They are all hand built. Ownership is being part of something special.

It isn't a prefect car by some standards, but then again perfection doesn't necessarily mean being flawless.

Ya well said. They are 2 totally different vehicles. I do like the GTR, but mostly to appreciate the accomplishment/technology. Daily drive my TA (except in the rain b/c of potential hydroplane), and hope to do stage 2 when I get a call back from Woodhouse.

ViperGeorge
10-27-2016, 05:26 PM
There is also a TSB on the window nodes in the door. They can get wet in heavy rain and ruin your day when the window goes down on its own and won't come back up. They replace the wire harnesses and the nodes and then seal them from water. My 14 GTS has been fine but my 15 TA 2.0 had the problem twice on the passenger side before the TSB was issued. All good now.

Also learn how to check the damn oil dipstick. That is if it is possible to learn, many of us are dipstick challenged.

alilodhi12
10-27-2016, 06:02 PM
thank you guys for all the info and not bashing on the gtr. everyone has their own opinion though. im trying to decide if i should spend extra money on the TA or go with the srt 2014 model. i like the hood and the seats better on the srt model but found out the ta has more options?

also... GTRs are also handbuilt. i have a black edition.. FBO E85. its a hell of a car. i havent had one single issue and i am the only owner on the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVQb4Bg1c8o

this is me running my buddy with a h/c package on his acr. without all that drag i think it would be a diff race.

7TH_SIGN
10-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Be careful with this switch. Very different cars in all categories to include build quality. There is still cabin heat but not as bad as the earlier models.

The build quality with these GEN Vs are hit or miss. I'm about to purchase a Japanese sports car build in 1993. It was nice when I found out it had zero recalls or issues. Not bad for a 23 year old car.

If you plan on modifying the GEN V Many of us here would highly recommend you don't. Leave it stock due to the issues plaguing the GEN V and warranty coverage.

zee
10-27-2016, 08:06 PM
thank you guys for all the info and not bashing on the gtr. everyone has their own opinion though. im trying to decide if i should spend extra money on the TA or go with the srt 2014 model. i like the hood and the seats better on the srt model but found out the ta has more options?

also... GTRs are also handbuilt. i have a black edition.. FBO E85. its a hell of a car. i havent had one single issue and i am the only owner on the car.

this is me running my buddy with a h/c package on his acr. without all that drag i think it would be a diff race.

The TA will have the same hood and seats as the base model. You also get the aero, lighter wheels, better tires, thicker brakes, and 20% stiffer suspension. It's also a limited production so they will be numbered making them pretty unique.

Another thing to consider is the suspension. The base SRT is a harsher ride than the TA and GTS. I test drove the base SRT and it was definitely noticeable in how much firmer and harsher the ride was than the TA and GTS. You only have 1 mode option on the base, the TA has dual, but GTS will have the best ride. Definitely think the TA is worth the extra bucks since it's the perfect blend of street and track...I may be biased though ;)

Magzx12r
10-27-2016, 08:36 PM
I recently traded in my 2015 GTR Black Edition on a 2017 Viper SRT. I added the active suspension to the Viper. I don't miss the GTR, even though it was a badass car. I only drive the Viper on weekends because my commute to work involves a lot of stop and go traffic.

Terminator02
10-27-2016, 09:05 PM
The TA will have the same hood and seats as the base model. You also get the aero, lighter wheels, better tires, thicker brakes, and 20% stiffer suspension. It's also a limited production so they will be numbered making them pretty unique.

Another thing to consider is the suspension. The base SRT is a harsher ride than the TA and GTS. I test drove the base SRT and it was definitely noticeable in how much firmer and harsher the ride was than the TA and GTS. You only have 1 mode option on the base, the TA has dual, but GTS will have the best ride. Definitely think the TA is worth the extra bucks since it's the perfect blend of street and track...I may be biased though ;)

This. If you are considering both and could afford either one, the TA is absolutely worth it. You would pay much more to upgrade to The TA if you added the carbon exterior, suspension and brakes. The TA will retain better value. Absolutely a no brainer if you can get the TA.

TA Two Oh
10-27-2016, 09:09 PM

Nice runs... no question that GTR's are really fast! I haven't owned one, but several friends have. Most appreciated the performance but moved on to something else relatively soon. They just didn't bond with the car emotionally. To be fair, not all sold theirs -a couple are long term owners and they're very happy. One friend gave the GTR this high praise:"if I could pick any car to use for an open road race, on a challenging, unfamiliar, twisty mountain road, I'd take a GTR. This guy is an accomplished driver and he's driven pretty much every performance car on the planet. I completely respect his judgement in that regard. Not many of us would say that about our Vipers. They can take a fair bit of seat time and familiarity to exploit to their full potential. For me, that's a large part of their appeal; I continue to grow with the car and I can't imagine ever getting bored with it.

Plus... the car is still super exclusive, even after sticking to the same formula for 25 years. They are drop dead gorgeous, which is not a label people typically pin on GTR's.

Regarding your video... that ACR colour... absolutely stunning!!! I'm generally a conservative guy but I was bowled over by the purple. It's amazing. It was neat to see his brake lights flash on upshifts, which has been the subject of a fair bit of discussion on this forum. Also, your buddy's ACR looks incredible... the paint... OMG. Lots of close runs, and the heads/cam cars are really fast so, good on you! Plus, totally sweet colour on the Dodge; the nicest I've ever seen.

Buy a Viper and never look back! Start by making an offer to your buddy... the paint on his is magnificent. Not sure if I mentioned that earlier.

darbgnik
10-27-2016, 09:26 PM
If you can find a nice TA, that would probably be your best bet. That's the car I would have bought, if it came in Comp Blue, TA 1 that is. I did the same as Magzx12r, and added the DSC active suspension and TA aero as well as TA alignment,(my car was ordered with the same wheels and tires as the TA already). I believe my car will easily hang with a TA on a road course, but it's not a TA, and thus will not hold the same resale, if you care.

The TA 2 mode suspension is stiffer than a GTS, but the ride is still very nice. Much nicer than an SRT. The TA and SRT share the same seats as well, which are much roomier than the GTS seats, if you are on the larger side. TA also comes with the more aggressive 6 vent hood as on the SRT. What it doesn't come with is the real leather dash and seats like the GTS, not to be confused with that fabric bonded stuff they put in Escalades et al.

FYI: SRT is base model with 6 vent hood, standard suspension, 3 mode stability control and nylon seats. TA is track model before ACR with same hood and seats as SRT with 2 mode suspension and 5 mode stability control. And GTS is the loaded more luxury oriented model with 2 vent hood, 2 mode suspension, 5 mode stability control, and leather everything.

MK2_Viper
10-27-2016, 09:32 PM

10% lemons ? could you cite your sources on that ?
Because of 1 case of rear defroster issue making your list its hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or serious in your response . Apologies if it's the latter .

7TH_SIGN
10-27-2016, 10:43 PM

You forgot the paint blistering and bubbling. I had it on my hood and hinge covers. Five others I know of here on the forums also had the same issue. Luckily it was on panels that could be replaced. Would hate to have it happen on the rear fenders or roof!

biturboamg
10-28-2016, 08:16 AM
I can give you my insight I came from an 09 SPE700 built gtr to a 2015 SPE/SIR USM BE GTR tuned on ecutek by Ben L. Car was a beast and made 700whp on 91 pump at elevation of 5500ft. Car was a beast and thought the GTR had a good "tax" on it but be warned the "Viper tax" is much higher due to so few and even less people making parts etc. I ended up getting rid of a Porsche Turbo S for the TA and haven't looked back. No the TA is not as fast as the turbo s here at elevation which ran 10.9@133 with a crap 1.88 60ft but that is awd, pdk and launch control. The viper is like having an exotic and gives driving the car more of an experience and is so rewarding to drive. I will say I don't/can't use it as much as the TA is so low in the front you must really think of big speed bumps steep drives etc vs the GTR or Turbo S but overall feels much more special. The radio on a TA kills the GTR and the build quality seems better overall. I say do it and try it as there are plenty of gtrs to go back to if you don't like it. So far I am happy and think the car is a blast and TBH I missed rwd, 6spd and some power. Awd and dct cars are great but we're so easy to go fast.

I would love the H/C setup or even a TT setup but like I said the TAX is much higher than a GTR for a 70-100whp gain so the car may stay stock and in the collection for good old American muscle down the road.

Hope that helps.

v10tt
10-28-2016, 09:26 AM
how much power at the tires does your GTR make? who is pulling on top end on the Video?

alilodhi12
10-28-2016, 10:27 AM

This. If you are considering both and could afford either one, the TA is absolutely worth it. You would pay much more to upgrade to The TA if you added the carbon exterior, suspension and brakes. The TA will retain better value. Absolutely a no brainer if you can get the TA.

Yeah i looked at a white TA yesterday with the carbon fiber rear panel? the spoiler, and the brace in the engine... looked so good:smileys-car-driving

Nice runs... no question that GTR's are really fast! I haven't owned one, but several friends have. Most appreciated the performance but moved on to something else relatively soon. They just didn't bond with the car emotionally. To be fair, not all sold theirs -a couple are long term owners and they're very happy. One friend gave the GTR this high praise:"if I could pick any car to use for an open road race, on a challenging, unfamiliar, twisty mountain road, I'd take a GTR. This guy is an accomplished driver and he's driven pretty much every performance car on the planet. I completely respect his judgement in that regard. Not many of us would say that about our Vipers. They can take a fair bit of seat time and familiarity to exploit to their full potential. For me, that's a large part of their appeal; I continue to grow with the car and I can't imagine ever getting bored with it.

Plus... the car is still super exclusive, even after sticking to the same formula for 25 years. They are drop dead gorgeous, which is not a label people typically pin on GTR's.

Regarding your video... that ACR colour... absolutely stunning!!! I'm generally a conservative guy but I was bowled over by the purple. It's amazing. It was neat to see his brake lights flash on upshifts, which has been the subject of a fair bit of discussion on this forum. Also, your buddy's ACR looks incredible... the paint... OMG. Lots of close runs, and the heads/cam cars are really fast so, good on you! Plus, totally sweet colour on the Dodge; the nicest I've ever seen.

Buy a Viper and never look back! Start by making an offer to your buddy... the paint on his is magnificent. Not sure if I mentioned that earlier.

haha thanks man, yeah he gets so many looks with that purple, i love that color.

You forgot the paint blistering and bubbling. I had it on my hood and hinge covers. Five others I know of here on the forums also had the same issue. Luckily it was on panels that could be replaced. Would hate to have it happen on the rear fenders or roof!

was it covered under warranty?

I can give you my insight I came from an 09 SPE700 built gtr to a 2015 SPE/SIR USM BE GTR tuned on ecutek by Ben L. Car was a beast and made 700whp on 91 pump at elevation of 5500ft. Car was a beast and thought the GTR had a good "tax" on it but be warned the "Viper tax" is much higher due to so few and even less people making parts etc. I ended up getting rid of a Porsche Turbo S for the TA and haven't looked back. No the TA is not as fast as the turbo s here at elevation which ran 10.9@133 with a crap 1.88 60ft but that is awd, pdk and launch control. The viper is like having an exotic and gives driving the car more of an experience and is so rewarding to drive. I will say I don't/can't use it as much as the TA is so low in the front you must really think of big speed bumps steep drives etc vs the GTR or Turbo S but overall feels much more special. The radio on a TA kills the GTR and the build quality seems better overall. I say do it and try it as there are plenty of gtrs to go back to if you don't like it. So far I am happy and think the car is a blast and TBH I missed rwd, 6spd and some power. Awd and dct cars are great but we're so easy to go fast.

I would love the H/C setup or even a TT setup but like I said the TAX is much higher than a GTR for a 70-100whp gain so the car may stay stock and in the collection for good old American muscle down the road.

Hope that helps.

yeah man i used to have a 15 turbo S as well. it felt so similar to the gtr. all the power but had now RAW power like my z06.

how much power at the tires does your GTR make? who is pulling on top end on the Video?

in the video i am at 630 rwhp.. i have done some modifications since then :)

Terminator02
10-28-2016, 01:19 PM
That would make sense regarding the runs as he's probably running around 630-650rwhp. You have weight disadvantages but he has the very strong downforce at those speeds. Very cool video and remember seeing it freshly released a few months ago. Such a beautiful ACRE and cool he already did the package. I'd say a hc package is a great rite to go to mitigate some of that downforce...especially on straights.

Good luck on your search. Yes you can't go wrong with a TA and they will hold value. White black and orange were available in 14 and I would recommend looking at all the colors. I like the black and orange best. The carbon is the spoiler, the rear appliqué, the front splitters and the X brace. The suspension is solid and the brakes are better than the upgraded brembos found in the track pack cars because the pads are quite a bit thicker and rotors are different and heavier. Bigger heavier brakes are great on this car and won't fade after a track session. The orange contrast stitching is nice too on the interior. Now the devils advocate would be if you can swing a TA but don't necessarily need that but want most of the benefit you can go to a 2015 that comes with a bit more power and the GT trim is awesome. A GT with 18 speaker Hk stereo and just some of the exterior aero would be a great option as the TA does command a premium.

ACR PWR
10-28-2016, 07:17 PM
I own a 2010 GTR that's modified to 800 hp. I love this car. Second gear 45 mph role and can leap on almost any car. Very quick and DCT is hard to compete with on the track. I track the car about 4 times a season and service all my fluids myself. The car has been very reliable 73K and bought it new.

Just got my 2016 ACR E and put 1200 miles on it. I always loved the Vipers but the ACR made me pull the trigger and get one.
I love the ACR styling. Fit and finish of the Viper is very good in my opinion. The ACR interior looks fantastic.
Love starting up that big V10. Much more satisfying than the GTR. Also the car attracts much more attention than the GTR. I didn't get the car to show off but more of what the engineers did to make this thing such a fantastic track car. All business!

Two very different kind of cars which makes it pretty cool to own both. Two different driving experiences.
Next year I take the viper to the track and see how she does. In my opinion I can petty much tell that the Viper is more capable on the track. It will be able to carry much more momentum through the turns when properly set up.

Two awesome cars in my opinion. 20818

Boba Fett
10-28-2016, 09:25 PM
On my 3rd Gen V Viper and haven't found cabin heat to be an issue at all. I like GT-R's and may purchase one, one day. Good luck!

BTW - your friend is a lousy driver :anonymous:

Arizona Vipers
10-29-2016, 10:21 PM
10% lemons ? could you cite your sources on that ?
Because of 1 case of rear defroster issue making your list its hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or serious in your response . Apologies if it's the latter .

I was going to ask the same thing MK2_Viper. Policy Limits should FINALLY be banned for this statement. I blocked his posts a long time ago, but can see his when somebody quotes them.
Any poster here that is going to make up lies like this to prevent potential Viper buyers to not buy one should definitely be banned.

alilodhi12
10-29-2016, 11:36 PM
On my 3rd Gen V Viper and haven't found cabin heat to be an issue at all. I like GT-R's and may purchase one, one day. Good luck!

BTW - your friend is a lousy driver :anonymous:

haha yeah you arent the first to tell me that