PDA

View Full Version : ACR Owners Question: Why the ACR and not the Coupe?

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Besides the obvious, that you got a great deal on one or there was no option (that would be a silly one),

What are some of the main reasons for deciding to go the ACR route and not the Coupe version?

Please keep the answers limited to Gen 4 ACR's and factory production reasons, not that it had performance upgrades ie mopar PCM, exhaust upgrade etc.

ACRucrazy
01-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Because I bought a Neon ACR 13 years ago and I still enjoy it very much. I did a lot of autocrossing and drag racing in the Neon ACR and someday I wanted a Gen II ACR in my garage. However at that time just moving out of my parents place at the time I was in no position to buy any Viper.

Then when the Gen IV ACR came out several years later I knew I had to have one. Again.. I couldn't afford one at the time. Then I saw SSG and wanted a SSG Viper.. but there were no SSG ACRs.

I stumbled upon mine 3+ years ago... and for over 3 years I watched it sit at the dealer. It was THE viper I wanted.. SSG ACR. I wanted an ACR because it had the factory aero upgrade, lighter wheels and brakes and suspension. I wanted the king of the hill. I have owned it less than a year and plan to get to the track at some point, but mostly I wanted the meanest version of the Viper in my favorite color. So SSG it is!

rw99
01-13-2014, 01:55 PM
I intended to track the car; ACR was obvious choice.

I will also admit to thinking that they just look incredibly bad-ass, and even less like any other car around.

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Because I bought a Neon ACR 13 years ago and I still enjoy it very much. I did a lot of autocrossing and drag racing in the Neon ACR and someday I wanted a Gen II ACR in my garage. However at that time just moving out of my parents place at the time I was in no position to buy any Viper.

Then when the Gen IV ACR came out several years later I knew I had to have one. Again.. I couldn't afford one at the time. Then I saw SSG and wanted a SSG Viper.. but there were no SSG ACRs.

I stumbled upon mine 3+ years ago... and for over 3 years I watched it sit at the dealer. It was THE viper I wanted.. SSG ACR. I wanted an ACR because it had the factory aero upgrade, lighter wheels and brakes and suspension. I wanted the king of the hill. I have owned it less than a year and plan to get to the track at some point, but mostly I wanted the meanest version of the Viper in my favorite color. So SSG it is!

So would you say it was less about the track and more about its persona and what it stood for,,as you say,,King of the Hill and color combo?

FLATOUT
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Aero, Sport Cups, KW3's, Rotors, and the sidewinders. I wanted a track ready car that I could work on the street and then go to the track and tear it up.

Also the adjustability of the car keeps me, someone who loves to wrench, excited. I can setup the car for different environments and get it to perform differently. Wether I'm goofing off at autocross, or a mid speed track like MSR, or a high speed track like TWS there are different ways to get the most out of the car.

Also rarity, and the Nurburgring records. I like that not many are available at it has a real history to it.

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 02:02 PM
I intended to track the car; ACR was obvious choice.

I will also admit to thinking that they just look incredibly bad-ass, and even less like any other car around.

Aero, Sport Cups, KW3's, Rotors, and the sidewinders. I wanted a track ready car that I could work on the street and then go to the track and tear it up.

Also the adjustability of the car keeps me, someone who loves to wrench, excited. I can setup the car for different environments and get it to perform differently. Wether I'm goofing off at autocross, or a mid speed track like MSR, or a high speed track like TWS there are different ways to get the most out of the car.

Also rarity, and the Nurburgring records. I like that not many are available at it has a real history to it.

What percentage would you 3 guys say you bought it for track and for street use?

Bill Pemberton
01-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Yeh, what RW99 said -- ditto !!!

Nine Ball
01-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Every ACR owner that I've met in the Houston area has had their car on the track before.

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Every ACR owner that I've met in the Houston area has had their car on the track before.

To what extent though....50/50 or 60/40 or what percentage track vs street.

Rizzo
01-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Ive had a Gen 2 and also a Gen 3. I always said my next Viper would be an ACR. For me its all about the look. We don't have any tracks near us so for me it will be a Sunday driver, meet for coffee etc car..LOL.. If I can get it to a track I will. The ACR I bought has never seen a track, a drag strip or a drop of rain. Its been a garage queen since new.

08viperviolet
01-13-2014, 02:32 PM
drive mine everyday and will be taking it to the track soon. Took my other ACR to the track.

ViperGeorge
01-13-2014, 02:37 PM
I had a Gen 3 coupe with a Paxton, fast in a straight line for sure. But I sold it after getting my 09 ACR because I wanted a warranty again and the ACR is faster on the track. I drive it quite a lot but usually to/from the track. Used it to compete in the One Lap of America which requires a lot of street driving. Still comfortable enough but it is great on the track. Confidence inspiring. And it looks bad ass with the wing, splitter, the center band, and driver's stripe.

BlknBlu
01-13-2014, 02:40 PM
I guess I am the exception.

I owned an 08 Coupe in the Blue and Black theme and was content with that. When I heard the ACR was available in this config I went nuts on wanting one. To me it was not about having the track monster, but just about having the ultimate Mopar. It is like going from a regular Hemi Cuda to one of the rare Hemi Cuda convertibles. I was able to afford it and like the rarity of the ACR. It is set apart from the standard Viper. I do not track it at all. Yes my local owners give me a lot of grief over it, but that is my choice.

Bruce

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 02:42 PM
When some of you are saying you bought it for the track, I assume its for pleasure track with your local club, not serious full blown track rats. Although I am sure a few of you are strictly tracking them period. Would be nice to know the amount of track time compared to the street time.

Its also nice to hear that some of you , if not most of you here apart from buying them for what they were built for (track monster's) you guys are keeping them garage queens or just as a daily driver with limited track use. Looks, color combos, etc.
I have responded to other members in another thread here, the full blown ACR thread, and posted that a list of reasons I find people have bought them and got some pretty aggressive replies from, why would you buy it for bragging rights and why would you buy it for looks. Are you trying to impress kids or old folks at coffee shops...lol..just ridiculous responses and just needed to open up a thread to hear it straight from the horses mouth (ACR owners)

Glad to see that the reasons are what they are. ACR's are not for everyone as TT,SC and built motors are not. each person has a personal reason for owning what they own and that is what makes it all that interesting and intriguing.

I for one am in the same shoes most of you are here,, I too am looking at getting into an ACR in the very near future. As soon as I can either trade or sell one or both of my Vipers.

Sometimes its not all about the HP and the performance but all about the looks, exclusiveness and color as noted above by some of you. Glad to see that!

blk_fxstc
01-13-2014, 02:47 PM
It does everything A-Z for my driving style, both street and track. All the upgrades from the coupe made it worth it to me, and I have used all of them. The only drawback for me versus the coupe is ride quality.

commandomatt
01-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Bought a 2010 ACR 2 months ago.

Why ?

- The most aggressive Viper ever built (street)
- The last of the 'no nannies' Viper. The last of an era.
- In your face Aero
- Very limited production. Both total year and model. Don't know the exact 2010 total numbers but it has to be one, if not The lowest in Viper history
- The Nurburgring record. Makes it a car with historical significance and something that can never be taken away, regardless of future records that will be set
- I waited to see what the Gen V would offer and decided that I would rather own an ACR. There will be plenty of Gen V's for sale in the next few years. Not many ACR's. I can even imagine that the ACR's will hold their value better then the Gen V's in a few years
- Road presence
- More reasons to be added as I put miles on this machine

I have no intention to track my car at this time. Cant say never since I don't know what will happen down the road and this ones a keeper, but I certainly didn't buy it for tracking

Now, having said the above, I also have a Coupe, so I am just responding to "why the ACR"

Matt

Black Adder
01-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Having had a gen 3 vert, I bought my Vooodo for all the reasons above that commandomatt listed. My 2010 Vooodoo cost me about the same as a new gen 5 SRT but no comparison.

Steve M
01-13-2014, 03:12 PM
I can tell you why I DIDN'T buy one:

1. A bit too over-the-top styling wise for me - I wanted something a bit more subtle (definitely personal preference)
2. Much more $$$ (at least the ones I saw for sale)
3. I knew that my car would be used 99% street, maybe 1% track (as of this date, I still have yet to take it on a track of any sort, but I'd like to fix that)
4. Pilot Sport Cup Tires (see #3)
5. KW shocks - from what I saw, most people said that they rode a bit rough. Again, see #3.

Don't get me wrong, I really like ACRs (especially because you don't see them often), but if I bought one, I'd feel like nothing more than a poser since I'd likely still use the car 99% street, 1% track.

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 03:22 PM

1. A bit too over-the-top styling wise for me - I wanted something a bit more subtle (definitely personal preference)
3. I knew that my car would be used 99% street, maybe 1% track (as of this date, I still have yet to take it on a track of any sort, but I'd like to fix that)
5. KW shocks - from what I saw, most people said that they rode a bit rough. Again, see #3.

Don't get me wrong, I really like ACRs (especially because you don't see them often), but if I bought one, I'd feel like nothing more than a poser since I'd likely still use the car 99% street, 1% track.

Interesting reverse thinking. Makes sense though as it suits your taste.

Well put !

Having had a gen 3 vert, I bought my Vooodo for all the reasons above that commandomatt listed. My 2010 Vooodoo cost me about the same as a new gen 5 SRT but no comparison.

Seems more and more people are giving the same reason. "They feel the ACR is still the better car" personally. The new car didn't do enough to compensate for the difference in price or styling. In your case styling.
Good for you for keeping to your personal taste.

Bought a 2010 ACR 2 months ago.

Why ?

- The most aggressive Viper ever built (street)
- The last of the 'no nannies' Viper. The last of an era.
- In your face Aero
- Very limited production. Both total year and model. Don't know the exact 2010 total numbers but it has to be one, if not The lowest in Viper history
- The Nurburgring record. Makes it a car with historical significance and something that can never be taken away, regardless of future records that will be set
- I waited to see what the Gen V would offer and decided that I would rather own an ACR. There will be plenty of Gen V's for sale in the next few years. Not many ACR's. I can even imagine that the ACR's will hold their value better then the Gen V's in a few years
- Road presence
- More reasons to be added as I put miles on this machine

I have no intention to track my car at this time. Cant say never since I don't know what will happen down the road and this ones a keeper, but I certainly didn't buy it for tracking

Now, having said the above, I also have a Coupe, so I am just responding to "why the ACR"

Matt

Looks like you bought it for mainly that reason.."looks' as you do have a coupe anyways.

Having the "ultimate" and being financially able to as well, is what got you to buy one. So Exclusivity is your main reason behind that acquirement.

Bill Pemberton
01-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Would have to say they the majority of the owners we have sold ACRs to, do not track the car. I would not be surprised to find 25-30% of the Gen IV ACRs have been tracked , whereas it was
pretty unusual for the Gen II ACRs to see road course usage.

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Would have to say they the majority of the owners we have sold ACRs to, do not track the car. I would not be surprised to find 25-30% of the Gen IV ACRs have been tracked , whereas it was
pretty unusual for the Gen II ACRs to see road course usage.

I responded on the blown ACR thread with the fact that 20% buy them for track and got scuffed with how off I am. Now coming from someone with better stats, I think I have an apology coming...not.

Anyways , with this thread I am trying to prove the point that the ACR is bought more for its looks, status (King of the Hill) and its indifference, than it is for its use (track).
That its not for old men at coffee shops and high school kids to gawk at it, as someone had replied in my other post on ACR's. That's its not a car you brag about. Dam right it is!! I am beginning to think that , that is not so bad if it was the reason. I for one feel proud of my Viper when old men and kids gawk at it. Nothing wrong with that. Is it the only reason, of course not. But it does make you feel good about what you have. We bought it for the love and we drive it for the look (some of us anyway).

rw99
01-13-2014, 03:35 PM
To your previous question, I only track the car a few times each year. Hoping to do more, but multiple schedules often collide. You can characterize me as a "fun" track guy, not a serious track rat.

Nine Ball
01-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Anyways , with this thread I am trying to prove the point that the Viper is bought more for its looks, status (King of the Hill) and its indifference, than it is for its use (track).

Fixed. This statement isn't just related to ACR's, but all Vipers. Most of them are purchased for their looks/status/history, and several owners rarely drive them or even attempt 100% throttle through a few gears. Those guys are missing out :)

FLATOUT
01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/ZOSICK/dfc24ba5-241c-46d3-97d1-e1dc2e98608d_zps2e88eef0.jpg (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/ZOSICK/media/dfc24ba5-241c-46d3-97d1-e1dc2e98608d_zps2e88eef0.jpg.html)

This is the other reason I bought the ACR over a Coupe (Which I also love). Road Presence, there are very few cars in your rear view mirror that will command this much attention.

I drive mine on the street mostly but get to the track when I can. I love it on the street also though, for me it's just setup all around for what I like to do with my cars.

This picture was taken by Slowhatch here on the board this weekend, on a local cruise where I put 350 miles on the car. Our San Antonio Prez also picked his up from Tomball Dodge the same Saturday, drove down to the beach to meet us for lunch and drove it all the way back to San Antonio (500 mile day).

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Fixed. This statement isn't just related to ACR's, but all Vipers. Most of them are purchased for their looks/status/history, and several owners rarely drive them or even attempt 100% throttle through a few gears. Those guys are missing out :)

Totally agree Nineball. Definitely not tracking the ACR or experiencing it at some time during ownership is certainly a loss. Whether for pleasure or during a lesson during track days, its something to explore. Especially when you own of the , if not the, best track cars to date.

But, at the end of the day, you could do that with a ZR1 or a GTR or any car really. So, it is about the persona of the Viper and not just because its a track monster. If SRT would concentrate on the track end of it, it would certainly be leaving the larger market behind.
Bragging rights as I have said in another thread today (full blown ACR) is certainly one of the main reasons for us to own one of these beasts. I know I would be bragging if I had one.

FLATOUT
01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
I can honestly say that bragging rights has nothing to do with it for me. I made the decision to start tracking my last viper (2003 Vert), and once I started looking into the modifications it would take to get it where I wanted it (i.e. better brakes, tires, roll bar, aero, and KW's) I realized I should just buy an ACR that is completely setup and ready to go.

Although I bought it for the track I really enjoy it, and use a bit of it's performance on the street. Although I can't push it quite as hard it's still a great experience and much improved over my vert. The aero makes a difference.

blk_fxstc
01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
I can honestly say that bragging rights has nothing to do with it for me. I made the decision to start tracking my last viper (2003 Vert), and once I started looking into the modifications it would take to get it where I wanted it (i.e. better brakes, tires, roll bar, aero, and KW's) I realized I should just buy an ACR that is completely setup and ready to go.

Although I bought it for the track I really enjoy it, and use a bit of it's performance on the street. Although I can't push it quite as hard it's still a great experience and much improved over my vert. The aero makes a difference.

Shhh, don't tell them ACR aero can be used on the street, that will open up a whole other can of worms...... ;)

2010.Blue.White.ACR
01-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Saw mine at the factory back in 2010 and I knew I had to have it and 2 years later I happened to find it by luck. Plus it's rare

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Please understand that when I say "bragging rights", I am not stating that you are going around town sticking your tongue out at everyone and shouting out " this is my ACR" " look at what I have", god no!!
What I am saying is, you bought it because it is one off or holds records, or is limited as was the 2010 ACRs or the Nurburgring's or Snake skins, or the like. Its still a bragging right. Its something that is uncommon as it may. We all want something to be special or one off or what not. That is why we chose the Viper. Because it has all that included in the deal. Not just the HP and the performance,but, the "bragging rights" of saying I am not among the many but, among the few. We all agree to that in that we don\t own or want a Vette because as well all continue to emphasize, they are a dime a dozen.

You guys know what I am saying here.

Just wanted to clarify as some people have been responding as though its posing or showing off. Not at all what I am trying to insinuate. Its hard to get expressions across on text. Sorry if any of you misunderstood.

ACR Steve
01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Is there any other Viper to own?????????? :)

Rizzo
01-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Honestly the ring record never even entered my mind. With mine i will be a Poser lol. For the simple reason that there are no tracks anywhere near me and with 4 kids and limited time for summer activities its hard to take the time off to drive 500 miles to run around the track and then drive home. I have tracked both my other vipers and hope to try this one on the track but it will be tough. I just love the looks and the agresiveness of it. To be honest i had made a deal on an Aston Martin and the day. I was going to buy it I came across my ACr which was just a better deal and ive always wanted one. the Aston will have to wait for a while.

XSnake
01-13-2014, 06:13 PM
because race car

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Honestly the ring record never even entered my mind. With mine i will be a Poser lol. For the simple reason that there are no tracks anywhere near me and with 4 kids and limited time for summer activities its hard to take the time off to drive 500 miles to run around the track and then drive home. I have tracked both my other vipers and hope to try this one on the track but it will be tough. I just love the looks and the agresiveness of it. To be honest i had made a deal on an Aston Martin and the day. I was going to buy it I came across my ACr which was just a better deal and ive always wanted one. the Aston will have to wait for a while.

God for you for being one of the very few who have the balls to admit that posing is one of many reasons for buying an ACR over a coupe or Vette or Mustang or any car for that matter. We all do all the time in our daily drives , track and even when it is parked somewhere....POSING.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-13-2014, 07:45 PM

I agree mostly with Steve... When I was shopping for Vipers I found the coupe to be more attractive than the ACR or roadster as I found the ACR to be a bit over-the-top. I also prefer the stripes to the standard ACR paint scheme. Now that I've been around for a while I find the ACR desirable but I'd need to find an orange striped version instead of the standard black center.

Aside from visual appeal, the ACR would be awesome on the track but my time and funds are limited for tracking. I'd like to track more and maybe one day I will, but for what I use the car for at this time for a coupe just makes more sense. If and when I reach the limits of the coupe on track I may consider an ACR.

FLATOUT
01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
God for you for being one of the very few who have the balls to admit that posing is one of many reasons for buying an ACR over a coupe or Vette or Mustang or any car for that matter. We all do all the time in our daily drives , track and even when it is parked somewhere....POSING.

You seem to have a strange obsession with the word POSING. Why do you care what others do with their cars?

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 08:24 PM
You seem to have a strange obsession with the word POSING. Why do you care what others do with their cars?

Ask this guy who is the one I am referring to in another thread...notice his quotes below...its directed towards those comments and his obsession for that word. Its over your head....but here are his quotes with HIS obsession for POSING. Not mine. I think I used that word once on a reply to Rizzos post. He used that word yet you seem to have isolated your response to me...hmm..interesting...your not still holding on to old grudges are you Flat...from the alley...lol...Ive grown out of that childs game. Anyway, obsession has a different definition. Using a word once does not make it an obsession.

Quote from 05Commemorative

#1. Seems like you might as well change the question to "are you a poser? or not?" Your # on ACR's is way too high. I believe the % of ACR owners that track their cars is very high. If you were to put a blower on one, I think you would be obligated to get a license plate that said "poser".

Quote...

#2..
So, I will stand by the following quote "If SRT puts a blower on an ACR, they should also include a license plate that says POSER" so the package is complete.

V10LEE
01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Bought mine for tracking. It has almost everything you need for it too. Like the KW variant 3 coilover, 2 way adjustable shocks. Not to mention the car looks menacing with the aero..

FLATOUT
01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
I guess I just don't get it, who cares.

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 08:38 PM
I guess I just don't get it, who cares.

Like I said,

Your more than welcome to ask 05Commemorative why he is obsessed with it.

Or was it just my answer that your obsessed with...:dude3:

Timnineside
01-13-2014, 08:43 PM
because race car

This and "Merica"

I have wondered what the biggest benefit over the coupe was myself. After owning both I think the wheels/tires/suspension is by far the most noticeable as far as track improvement for me (Track once a month in the summer). IDK if the aero is for the hardcore guys but it seems more for looks then anything for the occasion track addict.

A badass car overall and after owning both I am torn thinking about doing the aero to mine.

-Tim

Leslie
01-13-2014, 09:04 PM
ACR is HOT!

that's enough reason JMHO.

haha.

Rizzo
01-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Haha. Thats what ill get for a license plate on my ACR. "POSER". Betcha nobody has that one. Lol

slitherv10
01-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Haha. Thats what ill get for a license plate on my ACR. "POSER". Betcha nobody has that one. Lol

At least you have a sense of humor. You know you stole my car from me right. That Voodoo is one hell of a car. Good catch!!

DreadLox
01-13-2014, 09:30 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/ZOSICK/dfc24ba5-241c-46d3-97d1-e1dc2e98608d_zps2e88eef0.jpg (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/ZOSICK/media/dfc24ba5-241c-46d3-97d1-e1dc2e98608d_zps2e88eef0.jpg.html)

This is the other reason I bought the ACR over a Coupe (Which I also love). Road Presence, there are very few cars in your rear view mirror that will command this much attention.

I drive mine on the street mostly but get to the track when I can. I love it on the street also though, for me it's just setup all around for what I like to do with my cars.

This picture was taken by Slowhatch here on the board this weekend, on a local cruise where I put 350 miles on the car. Our San Antonio Prez also picked his up from Tomball Dodge the same Saturday, drove down to the beach to meet us for lunch and drove it all the way back to San Antonio (500 mile day).

^Every one that I have been behind says how BA it looks in the mirrors! Also what every other ACR owner said! Likewise I bought mine because in my eyes it's my favorite Viper to date, and the first time I saw the SSG color my eyes lit up like a child's at Christmas and it burned the image in my memory. Anyway I've only had mine since September of last year and have already driven it 2000 miles, doubling what it originally had. I have not tracked it... Yet... But I use it for an "almost" daily driver (almost because I have a company vehicle I use for work). The styling, the aggressive look, the rarity, the COLOR, there are so many reasons my heart thumps when I think about it.

blk_fxstc
01-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Bragging rights never entered my mind. Posing never entered my mind. I have owned a Gen II GTS, Gen III Vert, and wanted a Gen IV ACR for my next car. Most all the ACR owners I know here in Houston and around TX bought the ACR for its capabilities, nothing else. Some possess these traits, but not the folks I know, we drive them like they are meant to be driven.

08viperviolet
01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I have had an 06 vert and 08 coupe and 2 2010 ACR and must say the ACR is the most fun to drive. Ride is rougher than standard Vipers, but a blast when you want to have fun driven both ACR on the dragon and other roads and just is unbelievable. As I stated before it is my daily driver in South Florida.

Policy Limits
01-14-2014, 09:49 AM
I have a question about tires: what would you say the wear percentage difference is between the Sport Cups on the ACR and the regular road tires on the Gen IV Coupe? I'm talking about show car/ garage queen types with no more than 2k in miles annually and zero track use age

Steve M
01-14-2014, 09:56 AM
I have a question about tires: what would you say the wear percentage difference is between the Sport Cups on the ACR and the regular road tires on the Gen IV Coupe? I'm talking about show car/ garage queen types with no more than 2k in miles annually and zero track use age

I can't comment on the Sport Cups since I've never owned a set, but the OEM tires on my 2008 coupe were done at 10k miles...they were apparently a soft rubber compound similar to the cup tires, only with a different tread pattern (and more depth). The soft rubber compound and shallow tread depth of the Sport Cups would certainly give you less than that. If I had to guess, I'd say with normal street usage you might get 5-6k miles out of them, but that is pure conjecture on my part.

Shooter
01-14-2014, 10:17 AM
I bought mine because it's super duper fast and I look sexy driving it.

FLATOUT
01-14-2014, 10:21 AM

I knew it.

Scot
01-14-2014, 01:16 PM
I got my cause I have a tiny penis.... :D

I got a decent deal when I got mine brand new from Baxter... so that and the fact that there are not very many of them is the main reason I bought mine... I have never seen another ACR on the road...

I really have no desire to track my car....I raced a Honda S2000 (real wheel to wheel racing with cage.... not just HPDE shit...) for a few years so I don't really enjoy just riding around a track.... I am sure it would be fun for a few sessions but I don't care to risk it.

I never bothered to set up my signature.... I have a 2009 Black with red drivers stripe ... I currently have 13k miles on mine so I drive it year round.... biggest improvement was to swap the tires.... I adjusted my own suspension down to a decent level and adjusted the stiffness then had it aligned at a race shop.... great car!

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee374/ScotBurner/black.jpg

DreadLox
01-14-2014, 01:31 PM

Honesty is respectable!

cobraken
01-14-2014, 01:36 PM
I bought an '09 coupe and had Prefix add an aero package to it before I took delivery mostly for the looks. Believe the coupe is rarer than an 09 ACR.

Bill Pemberton
01-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Scot,

Raced wheel to wheel in Spec Miata, Viper in ITE , Rotary Rockets, etc. and though I have found it tough to do HPDE, you sure should check into Time Trials with NASA. Not sure about how
active NASA is in your area, but have found it to be almost as much fun as wheel to wheel since passing is open ( though a bit more respectful). Just a thought as it allows you to use the Viper
like many of us think it was intended - but cuts down the big risks in running door to door.

Rizzo
01-14-2014, 03:36 PM
There's my new plate... " SML PNIS" hahaha.. Nahhh I don't even the balls to put that on and I love a good joke but that would just invite WAYYYY too many red light conversations.... hahaha.

Dusty1
01-14-2014, 03:40 PM
I think to answer your question you need to know why you want the car. When my wife and I bought an 08' vert and 08' coupe we bought them because we loved the way the cars looked. In Houston we have many options on what we want to do with our cars. Unfortunately for my wallet we went to that first Viper Day in 08 and my eyes were opened, after a few more DE's over the next year I decided I wanted to trade up to an ACR and for the difference at that time we converted both cars to ACR's. Biggest difference was were how soft our original suspensions were. My wife now has 54k on her vert and drives it daily so how firm is too firm obviously depends on you. With the Aero, the styling is over the top and draws stares everywhere you go. So I guess it still comes back to why you want the car. I will warn everyone that tracking is about as much fun as you can have and its hightly addictive. The one thing we have come to the conclusion is the ACR is not a car you will out grow as a driver.

Richard

FLATOUT
01-14-2014, 04:33 PM
"The one thing we have come to the conclusion is the ACR is not a car you will out grow as a driver.

Richard"

Richard that is very well put. This is the first car I have owned (owned and built lots of fast stuff), that consistantly holds my attention span in check. It just does so much well that it's hard to look past it to another platform.

Dusty1
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
"So much to learn and so little time!!!" LOL

ViperGeorge
01-14-2014, 05:04 PM
This and "Merica"

I have wondered what the biggest benefit over the coupe was myself. After owning both I think the wheels/tires/suspension is by far the most noticeable as far as track improvement for me (Track once a month in the summer). IDK if the aero is for the hardcore guys but it seems more for looks then anything for the occasion track addict.

A badass car overall and after owning both I am torn thinking about doing the aero to mine.

-Tim

The aero definitely comes into play on tracks with fast corners. On a straightaway there is no appreciable difference between a coupe and an ACR. On a super speedway such as Daytona, the ACR may actually be a bit slower due to aero drag and a lower top speed than a coupe. But that is certainly not common. SRT tested the ACR on a lot of tracks and with rare exception the ACR was faster than the coupe on the vast majority of tracks because of Aero and suspension.

One more thing when you say you are torn about doing the aero to yours I assume you mean to a coupe. If so remember the ACR aero requires stiffer springs because of >1000 pounds of down force.

rw99
01-14-2014, 06:08 PM
The aero definitely comes into play on tracks with fast corners. On a straightaway there is no appreciable difference between a coupe and an ACR.
True, but there are a few straights where the added downforce makes a difference, Seca being one of them. Probably less an issue for highly experienced or pro drivers, but for me cresting the T1 bend flat out is confidence-inspiring in an ACR. I'd really be puckered up trying that in a non-aero Viper...

You really do feel the difference in how the car's planted in the higher speed turns, and I love that.

intense
01-14-2014, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=ACRucrazy;23006]

I stumbled upon mine 3+ years ago... and for over 3 years I watched it sit at the dealer. It was THE viper I wanted..

Then there's hope for me. The car I want recently came on the market. I was about to trade my car in on an '06 coupe and it was sold when I called. Now that I've come upon an ACR I'd be willing to wait for I'm going to hold off. I hope it waits for me.

Scot
01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
I think Time Trials = timed event = no insurance.... I looked up an ACR vs my S2000 at New Jersey Motorsports Park and it was about a 4 second difference.... for 4 seconds I will probably not take the ACR to the track... my S2000 was worth about $15-$20k and a lot safer if I wrecked it (rollcage, harnesses, etc..).... I would love to just go do about 5-10 laps in the ACR but with insurance. :)

Scot,

Raced wheel to wheel in Spec Miata, Viper in ITE , Rotary Rockets, etc. and though I have found it tough to do HPDE, you sure should check into Time Trials with NASA. Not sure about how
active NASA is in your area, but have found it to be almost as much fun as wheel to wheel since passing is open ( though a bit more respectful). Just a thought as it allows you to use the Viper
like many of us think it was intended - but cuts down the big risks in running door to door.