PDA

View Full Version : Bunch a questions from a new guy

F8L BIT3
10-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Hello, All. New to the forum. Bought my 04 last spring and haven't done much to it aside from K&N. I have a few questions that i'll list below. I'm current in Afghanistan but the mod-list bug has already bit! I'm glad this forum seems to be active and I look forward to participating!

- Stripes: My car is silver w/ black stock wheels. I think classic black stripes could be a great addition to break up the exterior and add a lil more of an aggressive feel. Havent been able to find any examples of Silver verts with the traditions bumper to bumper stripes (GEN IV style as I have an 08 hood). Anybody have examples of this or have seen it in person?

- Shifter: Ive done a lot of research. I know the stock height shifter has to go but i'm torn between a full short throw kit or just a shorter stick. Any strong opinions about one over the other?

- Console area: I'd really like to bring some contrast in to the interior but the red painted consoles Ive seen seem a little on the loud side. I'm thinking maybe a flat or satin red wrap may give more of the look i'd like (the glossy red painted setup doesnt seem natural on the interior to me for some reason). Thoughts or examples? Anybody know what a good shop charges to wrap the console pieces?

- Fender emblems: anybody know a good source for red emblems? Has anybody had luck with getting them painted and then put back on?

I'm sure i'll think of more but these are the ideas im toying with for now. Thanks in advance for the input!

SlateEd
10-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Hello, All. New to the forum. Bought my 04 last spring and haven't done much to it aside from K&N. I have a few questions that i'll list below. I'm current in Afghanistan but the mod-list bug has already bit! I'm glad this forum seems to be active and I look forward to participating!

- Stripes: My car is silver w/ black stock wheels. I think classic black stripes could be a great addition to break up the exterior and add a lil more of an aggressive feel. Havent been able to find any examples of Silver verts with the traditions bumper to bumper stripes (GEN IV style as I have an 08 hood). Anybody have examples of this or have seen it in person?

- Shifter: Ive done a lot of research. I know the stock height shifter has to go but i'm torn between a full short throw kit or just a shorter stick. Any strong opinions about one over the other?

- Console area: I'd really like to bring some contrast in to the interior but the red painted consoles Ive seen seem a little on the loud side. I'm thinking maybe a flat or satin red wrap may give more of the look i'd like (the glossy red painted setup doesnt seem natural on the interior to me for some reason). Thoughts or examples? Anybody know what a good shop charges to wrap the console pieces?

- Fender emblems: anybody know a good source for red emblems? Has anybody had luck with getting them painted and then put back on?

I'm sure i'll think of more but these are the ideas im toying with for now. Thanks in advance for the input!

Welcome and congratulations! (and if you're in Afghanistan serving, then Thank You!)

I don't have much to offer on the cosmetic stuff... although I'm a huge fan of carbon-fiber wrapped center console on a Gen3 (biased of course). I bought mine used from a Forum member after his taste changed... check the classifieds just in case.

On the shifter... I found getting a short shifter mechanism and keeping the stock height was the best way to go! you get the additional leverage for easier throws with the longer shifter, but the actual mechanism underneath is tighter with much improved centering-action (key to avoiding misses). I used Jon B at Parts Rack to buy the shifter itself and he's very knowledgeable about options... give him a call, just not on a Monday morning :-)

only other thing is Tires (I know you didn't ask about those, but still)
check the date code - much more important than the tread-depth. If they're more than 5 years old, plan to change them right away.

Welcome to the madness!!

F8L BIT3
10-25-2016, 01:31 PM
Thanks! Yes, im currently serving. We appreciate the support. I'll def give them a call when I'm ready to purchase. Tires are good to go... dealer put on a new set of PS2's before i purchased. Hoping I can get a few years out of them. I was looking at either the MGW or the IPSCO setup. I know it's all about feel though and it's tough to know until you know.

diablovox
10-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the club! And thank you for your service!

I recently bought my '06 vert too, and have some subtle mods on it too,

Console area, I wrapped it in 3M DINOC carbon fiber vinyl -

Also replaced all interior and dash lights with white LEDs

TIRES - I just ordered a set of Gen V Pirellis, these are 10mm wider but will fit perfectly and are excellent tires, see this thread and email Jon - http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/15317-quot-STUPID-CHEAP-quot-TIRE-SALE-for-SRT10-18-19-quot-Wheels-from-629-set-of-four-!!

Stereo upgrade guide - http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/15794-Gen-3-2006-Dodge-Viper-Aftermarket-Stereo-Install-Guide-Complete-in-detail

theviperstore.com is also a very nice website to look at what types of upgrades might be available for you car.

:smileys-car-driving

LATAMUD
10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Shifter: I have a MGW, Mark Jorgensen from Woodhouse can get you one. The Ipsco one looks just as good and I imagine feels the same.

- Fender emblems: only ones I can find in red for Gen3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-Dodge-Viper-SRT10-FENDER-side-rear-bumper-emblem-kit-4-pc-RED-NEW/181962322603?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Dd19d47dcff424962891 834d16dd54f66%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D9%26 sd%3D182029511533

Pics of your Viper!

F8L BIT3
10-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Those emblems look good. I'd post pictures but I didn't do any decent shoots before i deployed so it will have to wait until I get home. Mostly stock right now... only exterior bits are black stock wheels and gen IV hood. Im sure it wont stay that way for too long though!

Vprbite
10-26-2016, 03:00 PM
What if you paint your console body color? Gloss black is always good. Or satin silver would give a nice touch, IMO.

Also, Jon at partsrack should have the emblems for you. If not, theviperstore usually stocks them.

Good luck and enjoy.

jjhammer
10-31-2016, 05:33 PM
My console came painted, added the ipsco shifter

F8L BIT3
11-01-2016, 01:24 AM
With the MGW or IPSCO shifters, if you reuse the stock stick & knob, is the height still lowered? Or is the lower shift height purely a result of a shorter stick and knob and nothing to do with the actual shift mechanism below? Hope that makes sense... It's just a bit confusing when you browse online as some of the kits look like they come with adapters or their own sticks.

F8L BIT3
11-01-2016, 01:33 AM
Welcome to the club! And thank you for your service!

I recently bought my '06 vert too, and have some subtle mods on it too,

Console area, I wrapped it in 3M DINOC carbon fiber vinyl -

Also replaced all interior and dash lights with white LEDs

TIRES - I just ordered a set of Gen V Pirellis, these are 10mm wider but will fit perfectly and are excellent tires, see this thread and email Jon - http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/15317-quot-STUPID-CHEAP-quot-TIRE-SALE-for-SRT10-18-19-quot-Wheels-from-629-set-of-four-!!

Stereo upgrade guide - http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/15794-Gen-3-2006-Dodge-Viper-Aftermarket-Stereo-Install-Guide-Complete-in-detail

theviperstore.com is also a very nice website to look at what types of upgrades might be available for you car.

:smileys-car-driving

How'd the wrap job go? I was going to have mine done but it relatively easy, maybe i'll give it a shot.

jjhammer
11-02-2016, 01:38 PM
With the MGW or IPSCO shifters, if you reuse the stock stick & knob, is the height still lowered? Or is the lower shift height purely a result of a shorter stick and knob and nothing to do with the actual shift mechanism below? Hope that makes sense... It's just a bit confusing when you browse online as some of the kits look like they come with adapters or their own sticks.

If you reuse the stock "stick & knob," then the height should be the same. I used the 1" lowering kit. The stock shaft is two pieces, one with the knob and one that goes to the shifter. I replaced both with the 1" lowering kit.

F8L BIT3
11-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Good to know. I definitely want it lowered some.

Someonewho
11-03-2016, 01:14 AM
Hoping I can get a few years out of them.

*months*

F8L BIT3
11-03-2016, 11:23 AM
LOL! I bought the car back in March and I think I put just about 1k miles on it (which included a round trip to San Antonio) so at that rate, I'll probably be ok for another year or 2 (I hope).

MI Viper
11-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Thank you for your service, from a veteran like myself, and congrats on your Snake.