PDA

View Full Version : Taking cats off with belangers and mopar pcm?

Rizzo
01-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Hey guys. On my ACR it has belanger headers with their high flow cats. The fellow im buying it from thought it was too loud with the bellanger exhaust so he installed the stock muffler on. It also has the mopar pcm. My question is can I take the cats off completely and will it throw a code or will the pcm adjust for it? Also. Roughly what would i gain in hp by going no cats and the bellanger mufflers? Im not worried about the hp much but i like it very loud. Ive heard the bellanger full system is very loud so im excited to hear it. My 05 had stock headers and no cats with the 08 muffler. It was ok at high rpm but to be honest at idle and just above idle it sounded like crap to me. But ive never been a big fan of the Viper noise. Thanks guys.

ACRucrazy
01-12-2014, 05:38 PM
The Mopar PCM does not read the downstream 02 sensors. They can be unplugged and removed, so therefor it wont matter if you have cats or not.

Timnineside
01-12-2014, 07:48 PM
What ACRUCRAZY said. I believe when installed they have to be turned off. If it throws a code after install double check they are off.

The full Belanger system is good for 30-50whp from my readings. (Doing the same install now). I'd imagine most of those gains are in the headers and cat deletes or hi-flo's with minimal HP gains from the mufflers.

From what I read the sounds are perfect from full Belanger so you should be impressed.

*when you go to remove that OEM exhaust you may need 02 extensions. See my thread in the gen3/4 section to see how I eliminated them.

Rizzo
01-12-2014, 08:51 PM
I forgot to mention it also has the full k and n intake system as well. Not sure if thats good for any hp or not but its on there.

Timnineside
01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
I forgot to mention it also has the full k and n intake system as well. Not sure if thats good for any hp or not but its on there.

That's typically good for the loss of a few HP. Put OEM back on.

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Taking the cats off will lose torque, backfire thru the sidepipes and shoot flames with a stock PCM......much less backfiring with MoPar PCM. To my ear catless is 8.4L of stink 22" from your nose...... and a ratty sound, vs HF cats. Decibel level will be obnoxious too.

The KN lowers the note-tone a bit, but no real HP gain. Sexy look.

Vipes
01-14-2014, 05:45 PM
What if cats are removed with stock PCM? Code is thrown?

ACRucrazy
01-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Yes, even if you use hi-flow cats. Spark plug non-fouler drilled out may work in the downstream 02, but I haven't tried it on a Gen IV. It has worked on other vehicles however.

Vipes
01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Yes, even if you use hi-flow cats. Spark plug non-fouler drilled out may work in the downstream 02, but I haven't tried it on a Gen IV. It has worked on other vehicles however.

Interesting. I have a gen III. In other cars I have connected a resistor with a fixed ohm to remove the code.

Westxsrt10
01-15-2014, 10:11 AM

I've had no codes on my downstream o2's. I used a drilled out 90 degree non-fouler along with a drilled out short inline non-fouler screwed in to that. (for clearances issues).

I've found the up stream o2's need special start-up procedures to keep them from tripping codes. (along with never lugging the engine)

Just passed my OBDII port smog test a few months ago.