PDA

View Full Version : Car is in limp mode after a jump start

elanderholm
01-12-2014, 03:05 PM
So my battery got really low, not totally dead, but I needed to jump the car.

The jump went fine, but now the check engine light is on and there is this weird flashing red lightning bolt thing blinking and the car won't rev pass 3k...maybe less.

Is this normal if the car needs a jump?

anyway to reset the lights and get it out of limp mode without going to a dealer? Anyone else successfully fixed this on their own?

I tried searching for limp mode etc, but couldn't find this issue discussed or resolved.

thanks

Tom Sessions
01-12-2014, 03:16 PM
It is most likely from the low voltage. After you get some power back in the battery a key cycle should take it out of limp mode. The ETC (lighten bolt) is whats flashing. The code will be stored in the PCM until it has enough drive cycles to clear it. The engine lite will go off after several drive cycles.

elanderholm
01-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks a lot. I did turn it off and back on and ETC is indeed gone. The check engine light is still on but the car runs fine. I will watch it as I turn it off and on a few more times. Thanks.

MtnBiker
01-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Hmmm. You might want to take it to tech and read/clear the code.

Back In Black
01-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Code is for low voltage. It will clear on its own after a few ignition cycles.

Brian E
01-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks a lot. I did turn it off and back on and ETC is indeed gone. The check engine light is still on but the car runs fine. I will watch it as I turn it off and on a few more times. Thanks.

You probably have set code P2610. PCM INTERNAL SHUTDOWN TIMER RATIONALITY TOO FAST.
Its normal to set this code when your battery voltage gets too low or you disconnect the battery. Either clear it with a code reader or it will go away after 3 engine starts.