PDA

View Full Version : New SCT X3 Programmer information and review

Sean Roe
01-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

We’ve had some time to work with the new SCT X3 Programmer for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / SRT vehicles and can now provide you more information about them. The new box, part #3200, is compatible with vehicles through the 2013 model year and while the Gen4 / Gen5 Vipers are included in that range, the software has not been released for them as of this writing (still in process at SCT and we are anxiously awaiting the release).

The new boxes are similar to the previous model X2 9550 in that the device’s main function is to store your stock program file and allow you to flash your PCM with a custom tune file. Both boxes also have the ability to display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (the reason for a check engine light) as well as clearing out the code to turn off the light.

The new X3 3200 box has been updated with a more user friendly menu and selection process by way of increased display size, more navigation buttons and an improved menu layout. The features of the new box also include:
• Stores up to 10 custom tunes
• Can be used on 5 different vehicles before it VIN locks (it still can only be used to program one vehicle at a time).
• OBD2 data logging with parameters displayed on the device screen as well as directly stored into the device for reading / downloading to a PC after. The device can datalog a different vehicle than it programmed, which makes it a very useful diagnostic tool.
• PC data logging software
• 0-5 volt two channel analog input and logging of external sensors, such as a wideband. This requires a separate cable available from SCT.
• A USB cable is included.
Overall, we like the improvements made by SCT and feel it’s now and even more valuable tool for Viper and Ram SRT-10 owners. You can couple the box with our custom programs for your vehicle or use the single user license software and X3 bundle to create your own tunes for maximum performance.

You can find more information about the SCT X3 for your Viper on our website at http://www.roeracing.com/productcart/pc/New-Arrivals-Specials-c576.htm

Best regards,
Sean

Images below

Rukcus
01-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Can the DCX Pro racer package do the tunes for this reader?

The Stig
01-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Before everyone runs out and buys this new tuner/datalogger..... what does it log? and what items can we see with this handheld..from the OBD2 connection

MoparBoyy
01-12-2014, 06:30 PM
thanks for the review Sean. I will be getting one of these soon.

Sean Roe
01-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Can the DCX Pro racer package do the tunes for this reader?

Yes, the Advantage III / Pro Racer software is unchanged and writes files into the new boxes the same way as before. It's important to note, though the box has changed, what you can do with the software and a particular PCM has not. Meaning, no new parameters have been unlocked in a 2006 PCM (for example) because the PCM has not changed.

Before everyone runs out and buys this new tuner/datalogger..... what does it log? and what items can we see with this handheld..from the OBD2 connection

It can log the standard OBD2 data stream like a normal scan tool package, but there's a lot of data in there that isn't really useful for tuning. Depending on what you're doing, you can select the items you chose to record. The fewer you select, the faster it updates them and the higher the resolution on your datalog. Generally, the important OBD2 ones are RPM, throttle position, MAP, ignition timing, fuel trims. See screen shot below of configuration setup for datalogging.

So far, the longest I've recorded and saved into the device was close to 18 minutes on about 8 channels, and that was just because that's how long the drive with the car owner lasted. I think it will record longer, but haven't tested how long yet. I'm assuming that the more channels you record, the faster it will use up the internal memory. It's just nice to know you're not limited to a minute or less if you wanted to record a couple laps on a road course or a drag strip pass.

Edit- The resolution on this screen shot wasn't very good. I had highlighted the total items you could select for the datalog of this Gen3. The total number of items was 127.

The Stig
01-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Sean
With this tool we could record the data, based on your direction on what you want. Send you the info and then you could adjust a tune?

ICPREY
01-12-2014, 08:08 PM
You would probably have to configure a wideband as an input to do a remote type tune.

Sean, what type of connector does the SCT analog input have? Serial or USB?

Colin

Sean Roe
01-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Logging the short and long term fuel trims from the OBD2 stream would be beneficial for those with a big camshaft, larger injectors, or 2 bar MAP sensor as it would allow you to make sure your adaptive values are within range for the best drivability.
For full throttle tuning, you'd look more at MAP, RPM, spark and a wideband input.
If a log showed some part of the tune could be improved, the data could be used to identify where in the tables the adjustment is needed. This is in essence what we've been doing all along with standard datalogging scan tools. It's just now integrated into one unit, which makes it a lot more convenient and cost effective for those that don't have OBD2 logging scan tools.
The Analog input cable is basically a Firewire cable and the connector is at the top of the box. The cable from SCT with wiring diagram is about $12. That's what you'd need to connect to a wideband.

LATAMUD
01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
I've been datalogging spark advance as one of the SAE PIDs selected in my config file. Is it normal for this to not get a reading? It's one of the parameters I'm being asked to log but every time I get logs for everything else but this is always 0 across the chart. There is only one spark advance selectable, my tuner keeps telling me to find another selection to log spark advance. I'm about as far as I can go as a customer. I got the software/device/vehicle all to communicate with and am able to datalog. There is an SCT certified dealer in TAMPA, but they're a Ford Mustang shop, but they do have a DYNO. I'd really like to bring it in somewhere to get the final adjustments done on my tune.

Sean Roe
01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
The logging setup is what may trip people up the most, no instructions on what communication type different years require, what PID's to select, etc.. I've made a couple configuration files I can load into boxes depending on what year they're being sent out for.
On the Gen3, you need to take a look at my screen shots below and make sure you're setting the box up correctly for the VPW interface type. Otherwise, it won't communicate properly on CAN or Kline.
This is the setup and log I did on an '04. Plug your X3 into your PC and use the guide me tab to create a new configuration file. Let me know if that helps.
Edit- Your tuner has the same logging software as you and can create a configuration file to email you. If your setup isn't what's off, I can email you something to test with from a known good configuration file.

extremneon
05-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Hello,

Will this tuner benefit somebody like me wifh a pretty much stock 06 Viper? Tbe car does have a K&N air filter.

Also any discount for forum members?

Thanks!