PDA

View Full Version : Gen V ECU data

donb
10-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Hi,

Some performance cars I've owned stored information in the ECU such as redline, hours at particular RPM, etc.

Does anyone know if the Gen V ECU's store any of this information?

I'm interested in using this a pre-sale information (how hard has this car been treated, etc).

Thanks in advance,

Don

sadil
10-12-2016, 10:09 PM
You must own Porsches!!! ;) interested in knowing as well!

Hi,

Some performance cars I've owned stored information in the ECU such as redline, hours at particular RPM, etc.

Does anyone know if the Gen V ECU's store any of this information?

I'm interested in using this a pre-sale information (how hard has this car been treated, etc).

Thanks in advance,

Don

donb
10-12-2016, 11:09 PM
You must own Porsches!!! ;) interested in knowing as well!

Hi sadil,

I was referring to both of the Lotus I've owned (with Toyota engines). You could have the dealer do an ECU dump showing redlines and the time at certain bands of RPM.

With all the Gen V's running low on oil, engine problems and just reputation for these cars being beat to all hell, I'm a paranoid buyer.

Would love to find a car, but would love even more to avoid someone else's problem. :)

Terminator02
10-12-2016, 11:44 PM
The cars beat to hell as you say is a common misconception. Most never touch a track or anything outside of cars and coffee. Average owner puts 1500-2k a year on them. The number of owners who beat on them is very low. Now there are a percentage of owners who run them very well on the track much like a Porsche enthusiast which I'd say is the safest car to buy. An engine should be taken to redline, gears rowed, etc. These owners change fluids more regularly, more aware of maintenance, checking oil levels etc. Buy a well sorted car not a babies one imo. Especially don't buy a babied car the older it gets. I'm sure you know this already.

If you don't plan to mod, get a stock car or even a car that has r28 only for the recall as it now has a 10 year warranty. If you plan to mod, get one that doesn't consume oil, has some miles and offer to pay for a Blackstone oil analysis and you will be good to go. These are good cars.

dethred
10-13-2016, 12:18 AM
Cars beat to hell??? Jesus H Christ.

First gear brings you up to highway speeds. We'd all be in prison if we beat our cars to hell. A 4 banger with a second gear that hits 55mph is what you should be worried about in regards to beating on a car.

AZTVR
10-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Cars beat to hell??? Jesus H Christ.

First gear brings you up to highway speeds. We'd all be in prison if we beat our cars to hell.

:t1236:

mnc2886
10-13-2016, 09:00 AM
In my opinion, don't over think it. Performance vehicles were meant to be driven in a spirited manner. I feel generically people misuse the concept of a car that's been beaten on. A car that truly has been mistreated are the ones that didn't have proper maintenance. Not the ones where an owner used it as the engineers intended.

dewilmoth
10-13-2016, 09:34 AM
In my opinion, don't over think it. Performance vehicles were meant to be driven in a spirited manner. I feel generically people misuse the concept of a car that's been beaten on. A car that truly has been mistreated are the ones that didn't have proper maintenance. Not the ones where an owner used it as the engineers intended.

+1. Anyone with attention to detail should be able to look at a car for 15 minutes and know whether it's a car they'd like to own. I've used that theory on a lot of car purchases, and it hasn't burned me yet.