PDA

View Full Version : Xpel Suntek reviews and info

donb
10-10-2016, 10:45 AM
As I'm edging closer to a car, I'm considering doing a clear wrap.

Both of the Lotus I've had came with clear protection on the front fascia and rockers. It's a thick clear vinyl that held up well, but massive orange peel.

Hearing about the paint quality on the Viper, it sounds like this would be the nicest paint quality on a car that I've owned.

I plan on making the Viper a DD, so I feel like the protection would definitely be used to minimize paint damage on the car.

For those who have done the Xpel or Suntek, etc., how does it look? Does it add orange peel to the appearance? Is it possible to do a clear wrap that actually looks as smooth as the factory paint?

How does the wrap hold up to the crazy temps here in Arizona? Is there any danger of it causing harm to the paint if/when it is eventually removed?

To any of you that have done it, any regrets?

I'm vaguely aware of exotics owners getting it done, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Posted this in the AZ sub-forum as are situation is a little unique (heat, gravel everywhere) and would appreciate any vendor/installer recommendations you might have.

One last question, I might end up buying a car across country. Would you recommend having it just trucked to my door, or putting some sort of temporary wrap on it http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/ and driving it home that way?

I'm not sure if breaking the engine in on a long trip (2,000mi) home would be a good idea?

Thanks in advance,

-Don

Purple Haze
10-10-2016, 03:10 PM
20414Here is my 2016 Stryker Purple with Xpel finish. Xpel was applied professionally to the whole front including headlamps, mirrors, A- Pillars, lower carbon fiber, rockers and door grabs...Didn't do doors, roof or back trunk he said I'd be wasting money...Since the hood is so huge the installer, who came right to my house 5 times to do the job and is one of the best, told me Xpel doesn't have one sheet or one piece large enough to do the whole hood so he had to piece it together. If you look hard you can see some of those pieces but it's not readily apparent. Anyway it looks great, bugs wash right off and as you can see it looks 99% as good as the rest of the finish. No orange peel, etc. But I don't live in Arizona I live in Ohio. Guy said when removed as long as he does it won't be any problem with paint but why ever remove it unless it starts looking bad. No regrets I'll do it on my ACR when it gets here next year.

Purple Haze
10-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Here is the back view of the car shows more of car without the Xpel hard to seen any dif...20416

donb
10-10-2016, 11:31 PM
Thanks for your post.

I actually grew up in Cincinnati....small world.

Did you do the portion directly in front of the rear wheels?

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw you said rockers! Thanks again.

Purple Haze
10-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Yes again whole front from the windshield forward and all the way down, rockers, fenders, etc...Also did door floor jam where you put your foot to wiggle into the cockpit so I don't accidentally scratch that too! Did under sides/bottom of car-had to put it on my friend's lift did front and under doors...You'll never see that area but wanted it done anyway...Again everything except roof, doors and trunk deck and rear bumper. Well under $3k by the way I feel I got a good deal he spent many many hours on my car...