PDA

View Full Version : A track day at VIR

Special Ed
09-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Yesterday was the second time I have tracked my TA2, the only car I have ever tracked. Started the day in HPDE 1 and was moved to intermediate solo for the last two of the five sessions.

I'm starting to get hooked. This could get expensive. https://youtu.be/sRAEO1juhP0

allans
09-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Lines look good, nice job. Best, Allan

ECMesq1
09-27-2016, 08:39 PM
That looks like a lot of fun. What kind of speeds were you carrying through some of those straights? Did you use any of the onboard timers/g meters or did you catch that data on your phone? Been thinking about taking my viper to mid-Ohio for a track day some time.

Bruce H.
09-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Great job for just the second time out! Excellent track...was there last in '14 and can't wait to return.

Leslie
09-27-2016, 09:08 PM
That looks like a lot of fun. What kind of speeds were you carrying through some of those straights? Did you use any of the onboard timers/g meters or did you catch that data on your phone? Been thinking about taking my viper to mid-Ohio for a track day some time.

Mid ohio is a great track, going this weekend.

38D
09-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Expensive you say...wait until you start to race and need new tires every event!

I'd suggest working on getting tighter to the apex as you're leaving 2-6' nearly everywhere. This slows down your laps dramatically as you can't be as aggressive with the power mid corner. You might also think about putting the camera inside the car so you can see what your hands are doing. But overall looks smooth.

Special Ed
09-27-2016, 09:13 PM

Speeds in the low 150's over the hill on the back straight, 143 +/- at start finish and low 130 thru the esses. I will show my age in that I no idea how to capture the data. Sad I know.

dmann
09-27-2016, 09:14 PM
You looked good out there. I feel ya on getting hooked. Its so much fun and a sport that we can continue to enjoy and learn for some time.

Special Ed
09-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Expensive you say...wait until you start to race and need new tires every event!

I'd suggest working on getting tighter to the apex as you're leaving 2-6' nearly everywhere. This slows down your laps dramatically as you can't be as aggressive with the power mid corner. You might also think about putting the camera inside the car so you can see what your hands are doing. But overall looks smooth.

Thanks, I was much better in the afternoon, but the camera was dead. I did have the camera in the car earlier, but the glare off the windshield was so bad that you really couldn't see the track very well.

ECMesq1
09-27-2016, 09:19 PM
I've used Harry's LapTimer before and it's a $20 app you can put on your iPhone that will capture video and overlay telemetry data including a map of the track and lap times. I know there are other options but it was pretty cheap/easy to use and upload straight to YouTube.

RdyPlr1
09-27-2016, 10:58 PM
"second time out" turns into third , fourth ... tenth.. nice run. Like ECMesq said.. buy harry's lap timer, as you learn your car you'll see your times improving.. that's when it gets addicting.

LmeaViper
09-28-2016, 07:40 PM
That looks like an awesome track.

NT-ACR
09-28-2016, 07:48 PM
https://youtu.be/sRAEO1juhP0

Bleed viper
09-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Great job, looks like a fast track. Keep it up!