PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a Gen V GTS

Simms
01-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Just curious, anything new on this? We heard in the past that Ralph was possible testing some Mopar springs on his car, but who knows how true it is and when we will actually see anything from Mopar.

Bernie/ViperExchange is selling a very nice first edition that I believe used to be Cody Whiteheads car. The description says it's lowered with Eibachs. Can anybody verify the accuracy of this and how it worked out?

Jack B
01-10-2014, 10:56 PM
I have the MCS coilovers, they are height adjustable. Woodhouse installed them and lowered the car before I picked it up. The adjustment is also a bit easier than Penskes.

Just curious, anything new on this? We heard in the past that Ralph was possible testing some Mopar springs on his car, but who knows how true it is and when we will actually see anything from Mopar.

Bernie/ViperExchange is selling a very nice first edition that I believe used to be Cody Whiteheads car. The description says it's lowered with Eibachs. Can anybody verify the accuracy of this and how it worked out?

05Commemorative
01-11-2014, 12:46 AM
I think he is referring to the GTS model with its adjustable suspension.

Simms
01-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Yes, GTS. The MCS are awesome for the SRT guys, but it seems that the GTS guys may not have any real options yet.

Nine Ball
01-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Yes, that is Cody's car on the Tomball site. He used Gen 3/4 Eibach springs on the factory shocks. Seems to work okay.

mnc2886
01-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Did it mess with any of the electronics like traction and stability control?

Nine Ball
01-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Did it mess with any of the electronics like traction and stability control?

No, and it shouldn't. Those systems are controlled by brakes and throttle position.

Simms
01-11-2014, 09:45 AM
No, and it shouldn't. Those systems are controlled by brakes and throttle position.

Any idea how it affected the ride/settings?

Cdubb
01-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Just like any lowering spring the ride quality got alittle stiffer but that's it. I did the entire Power Tour long haul with them installed!

DPViper
01-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm eager to hear if the Eibach's are a good option on the SRT. I recall many gen 4 guys saying the Eibach's made the car bouncy....is there any reason the Gen 5 would be different?

VENOM V
01-11-2014, 10:45 AM

I would prefer to wait for Mopar to release lowering springs for the GTS. I've heard that the prototype springs on Ralph's car have a spring rate within 5% of stock GTS rates, and lower the car about 1/2". That's good news because that means the damping on the stock GTS dampers will work perfectly. Plus, Ralph has tracked with those springs numerous times, so you know they're done right. I've lowered a different car in the past with stiffer springs but kept the stock dampers. Ride was horrible until I replaced the dampers with ones that were developed for the stiffer spring rate of the lowering springs.

The catch is that nobody knows if or when these Mopar springs will be offered.

Honestly, from pictures I thought I'd want to lower my GTS. But after taking delivery and driving the car for over 5,000 miles, I no longer want to lower it. It's pretty low as is, and the tires fill the wheel wells nicely. And when I track it, it occasionally bottoms out on a hard bump or dip. Not sure if I've actually bottomed anything out except for the small black wind deflectors in front of the front tires, but it seems like it needs it's full range of motion. In fact I snapped off one of those deflectors at Laguna Seca. They're only $14 and easy to replace, so not a concern. Take a look at my car in the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. That suspension has got to be close to full compression. I wonder if reduced travel would upset the car.

XSnake
01-11-2014, 10:53 AM
If you know spring dimensions and what spring rate you want you can have Hyperco make you a set

Simms
01-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Just like any lowering spring the ride quality got alittle stiffer but that's it. I did the entire Power Tour long haul with them installed!

Thanks Cody. Would you use them again on another GTS?

Simms
01-11-2014, 11:30 AM
I would prefer to wait for Mopar to release lowering springs for the GTS. I've heard that the prototype springs on Ralph's car have a spring rate within 5% of stock GTS rates, and lower the car about 1/2". That's good news because that means the damping on the stock GTS dampers will work perfectly. Plus, Ralph has tracked with those springs numerous times, so you know they're done right. I've lowered a different car in the past with stiffer springs but kept the stock dampers. Ride was horrible until I replaced the dampers with ones that were developed for the stiffer spring rate of the lowering springs.

Honestly, from pictures I thought I'd want to lower my GTS. But after taking delivery and driving the car for over 5,000 miles, I no longer want to lower it. It's pretty low as is, and the tires fill the wheel wells nicely. And when I track it, it occasionally bottoms out on a hard bump or dip. Not sure if I've actually bottomed anything out except for the small black wind deflectors in front of the front tires, but it seems like it needs it's full range of motion. In fact I snapped off one of those deflectors at Laguna Seca. They're only $14 and easy to replace, so not a concern. Take a look at my car in the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. That suspension has got to be close to full compression. I wonder if reduced travel would upset the car.

I also like the idea of the Mopar springs, but as you said, never know if they would ever be offered. Kudos to you for tracking that beauty!

Thanks Matt. No car yet, but as always I'm planning for the future.

V10LEE
01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
I plan on lowering mine the same as my ACR ( 1 1/4inch). I bought some KWs for my Gen V from Jon B. These don't have the full adjustability like the KWs that came on my ACR, but just the rebounds ( the primaries). Which I think is just fine for my track days..

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/rapid25_2012/DSCN3078_zps409da60f.jpg (http://s753.photobucket.com/user/rapid25_2012/media/DSCN3078_zps409da60f.jpg.html)

Cdubb
01-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks Cody. Would you use them again on another GTS?

If you can get a coil over to work no but as an only resort yes. HA

Cdubb
01-14-2014, 11:47 AM
I plan on lowering mine the same as my ACR ( 1 1/4inch). I bought some KWs for my Gen V from Jon B. These don't have the full adjustability like the KWs that came on my ACR, but just the rebounds ( the primaries). Which I think is just fine for my track days..

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/rapid25_2012/DSCN3078_zps409da60f.jpg (http://s753.photobucket.com/user/rapid25_2012/media/DSCN3078_zps409da60f.jpg.html)

The KW V3 is exclusive to the ACR, I would have gone with the MCS double adjustable for the same price as those V2s.

V10LEE
01-14-2014, 06:35 PM
The KW V3 is exclusive to the ACR, I would have gone with the MCS double adjustable for the same price as those V2s.

These V2s were $2900 and change from Jon B. The MCS cost $5,000 ..

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-14-2014, 06:46 PM

Hey, you quoted my super-secret, frequent customer, VOA-Enthusiast Price !

[Thanks L}

V10LEE
01-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Hey, you quoted my super-secret, frequent customer, VOA-Enthusiast Price !

[Thanks L}

Oops my bad bro..;)

Nine Ball
01-14-2014, 07:06 PM

I think Cody meant these singles, as he installed a set on a customer's Gen V already. Similar pricing to the V2.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/1358-Opening-2014-with-MCS-shock-sale

V10LEE
01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
I think Cody meant these singles, as he installed a set on a customer's Gen V already. Similar pricing to the V2.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/1358-Opening-2014-with-MCS-shock-sale

He said double adjustable MCS..

Cdubb
01-15-2014, 01:46 PM

Retail on the KW V2s is $4150! I can get into a set of MCS double adjustable for under $4k. Jon basically gave those away!

Jack B
01-15-2014, 06:10 PM
I have the MCS's on my car. Mark Jorgensen picked the springs. The car has an excellent/comfortable ride when the compression is set to "0". they were on the car when I picked it up so I have no comparison to the oem ride The car is lowered approx 1"F and 3/4"R.

As far as bottoming your car, possibly that is a place where you could gain some time with a stiffer compression on the outside shocks.