PDA

View Full Version : Adjusted MCS singles rim swap

parabs
09-24-2016, 05:33 AM
I installed a set of MSC singles purchased from Mark at Woodhouse and just finally completed the ride height adjustment.

I had the car running on forgestar f14's as provided by Nine Ball with khumo v720 acr tires set to the out of the box ride height of the forgestars.

I then tried my freshly refinish SW2's with 315/30/18 & 345/30/19 toyo r888 however I got too aggressive with the front tire selection and the sidewalls bulge off the rims and stick out goofy on the front of gen3/4 cars in my opinion. So then I put on my set of freshly refinished 6 spokes with Pirelli p-zeros in 285/35/18 & 355/30/19 as purchased from JonB. The rears also have 3/8" spacers and the long neck wheel lugs from JonB (Ipsco). Powdercoated caps provided by BJG32.

The front frame rail is at 4" off the ground and the rear is 4-5/8" off the ground as measured with the pzeros. From what I have read the rear should be 4-3/4", a lower setting can enhance oversteer.

Learnings:

1. The MCS coilovers are massively easy to adjust...(this is my first set of adjustable coilovers). I bought the MCS spanner tool and they worked great.
2. If a tire specifies a rim range, better results occur if you pick rims that are on the wider end of the rim range. Ie, the 315 toyos recommend a rim range of 10.5-11.5, 11.5 is the better width..imho. I should have purchased the 295/30/18 toyos for the 10.5 sw2 front wheels.
3. The pzeros have very low levels of grip vs the khumo or toyos, which was expected, however it was still a surprise how poor the street grip is on the pzeros after limited use of the khumos and toyos.
4. To my eyes, the 285/35/18 fits the stock rim much better than the 275/35/18 factory issue size.

parabs
09-24-2016, 05:39 AM
And the forgestars that proceeded the wheels pictured above. (Gratuitously posted as these wheels/tires are for sale ;) haha)

darbgnik
09-28-2016, 11:41 PM
Maybe I'm the wrong one to ask, with a whole shed devoted to wheels and tires, but why so many sets?

BTW, with the front camber set up for the track, those 315s would probably tuck nicely. For sure they would on a Gen V.

J TNT
09-29-2016, 05:58 AM
Smart move going to Mark for MCS suspension , he's a wealth of knowledge ! ;)

Coloviper
09-29-2016, 07:30 AM
Where did you get the MCS spanner tool from. I need one of those for my singles.

J TNT
09-29-2016, 08:33 AM
I picked mine up from a BMW SITE , I think bimmers.com ?

mjorgensen
09-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Where did you get the MCS spanner tool from. I need one of those for my singles.

I have a couple loose ones you can get, they are $45 for the pair.

parabs
09-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Maybe I'm the wrong one to ask, with a whole shed devoted to wheels and tires, but why so many sets?

BTW, with the front camber set up for the track, those 315s would probably tuck nicely. For sure they would on a Gen V.

Ummm, because I have a wheel/tire problem. I see a set of rims and I immediately think "hello there ;)" I plan to get a set of TA sway bars and get the TA alignment to better "tuck" the 315's but I don't really like the fitment of the 315 on the 10.5" rim, so I am going to work on an alternate wheel solution to run that tire. I'm considering a set of CCW SP600's in 18x11.5/19x13 because they look so damn good on "Hammer's" black gen 3, or a set of forgeline wheels in the same size with the center lock conversion...I'm curious if they will be going on sale this fall.

I also have a set of SW1's that have been freshly refinished with pzeros on them.

First time I ever laid eyes on a viper I couldn't believe the size of the steamrollers out back. That was back in the early 90's. I love a fat tire and so far I haven't found the fit and look I desire. This is nonsense, but i honestly had a hard time ordering the toyos because they are a "345" vs the Pirelli and khumo "355" option. I know it's asinine for that to be a thing, but it is a thing for me lol.

I bought them from Mark at the same time I bought my coilovers.

Smart move going to Mark for MCS suspension , he's a wealth of knowledge ! ;)

Mark is awesome!! He helped me out on the 11th hour of a h/c/I swap when I overlooked buying the oilpan and timing cover gaskets. Mark saved the day for me.

I have a couple loose ones you can get, they are $45 for the pair.

Hey Mark, this isn't a big deal at all but when your guys shipped out the spanner tools with the coilovers they accidentally shipped out two of the same spanner tools. Both have the same p/n and are the larger diameter spanner tool so I was able to make them work. Only noticed a week ago when I finally decided to adjust the ride height despite having them in my possession for about 6-8 months. Next time I order something from you perhaps you can drop the correct spanner tool in the box? Considering above where I'm thinking of adding the TA sway bars, will you confirm they are a bolt in for a gen 3/4 and that the sway bars with the TA alignment would be "good". And then of course, do you have them in stock?

FrgMstr
09-29-2016, 11:13 PM
Considering above where I'm thinking of adding the TA sway bars, will you confirm they are a bolt in for a gen 3/4 and that the sway bars with the TA alignment would be "good". And then of course, do you have them in stock?

I can answer for Mark because I just did this a couple weeks ago. The TA sway bars are a fit for our cars. My 08 had the "same" sway bar in the rear as the one I bought new, so you might not need that, not sure on a Gen III. My OE rear weighed identical to the Gen V rear bar, part number was one digit different (still had the tag on it). The front bar on my car was hollow, and certainly not the Gen V TA sway bar.

I put the TA alignment back on the car after a couple hundred miles as I want to do more twisty road stuff this year rather than straight line racing. The TA alignment along with the TA sway bars is INCREDIBLE. DO IT. Make sure you do the alignment too. The TA alignment on its own is a big deal. I have SWII's on my car, and used a spacer in back as those tuck just a bit too far in, but just a looks thing.

The new sway bar up front is very noticeable in the corners, I have not gotten it to push yet with Mich SS up front. I knew that I needed the upgrade for sure after seeing this picture at CoTA. (Now I took a bad line into that turn and the back end came out on me at about 130mph, and I was gathering it up fine, but it always seemed the car was rolling way too much in front. I have MCS singles on the car as well.)

I got replacement urethane bushings from Roe Racing, not sure if Woodhouse can be your onestop shop on that or not.

So, not sure you need the rear bar, but surely the front.

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/CoTA-2014-LateralGs4.jpg

parabs
09-30-2016, 05:51 AM
That's an awesome endorsement, thanks Frog! And yeah, may as well do the bushing while I'm in there.