PDA

View Full Version : My new TA didn't pass smog.

Brad00GTS
01-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Due to the great wisdom of our leaders in Sacramento, if you buy a new car from out of state, it must be smogged before it can be registered. I took it in today with 25 miles on the odometer and it failed. The test said the OBD system was not ready to be tested. The shop told me to put about 100 miles on it and bring it back. :p

Doug D
01-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Everything is fine, the monitors need to run and it takes more than 25 miles

FLATOUT
01-10-2014, 12:19 AM
Yep common problem the O2's have to reach ready status. My 2003 failed numerous times because the station is so close to my house lol. Go for a spirited drive and then bring it back in.

Nine Ball
01-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Putting miles on a new TA is a good problem to have. Enjoy.

TrackAire
01-10-2014, 02:38 AM
I'm guessing the problem is more with the car achieving it's drive cycles to satisfy the OBD II protocol. You can google smog drive cycle to get an idea of what the car will require if you're trying to do it quickly. Even things such as fuel level in the tank can effect the drive cycle parameters from being satisfied on certain makes. Good luck and enjoy putting the miles on her!!

George

DreadLox
01-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Good luck on that beauty Brad! Hey were you the one that got the headers and exhaust work done on the TA?

Policy Limits
01-10-2014, 06:47 AM
U can't even make this stuff up...

Space Truckin
01-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Due to the great wisdom of our leaders in Sacramento, if you buy a new car from out of state, it must be smogged before it can be registered. I took it in today with 25 miles on the odometer and it failed. The test said the OBD system was not ready to be tested. The shop told me to put about 100 miles on it and bring it back. :p

Why did you go to the smog station with 25 miles????

Ricketts
01-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Average vehicle clears all the not ready codes within 40-50 miles of driving. Everyone now and then you'll get a subborn one that requires to be driven by the book though.

Janni
01-10-2014, 07:58 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Dr's orders- get out there and drive!

BlknBlu
01-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Ship it here to Omaha and it will pass emmisions. I will make sure of it.....lol

Bruce

VYPR BYT
01-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Due to the great wisdom of our leaders in Sacramento, if you buy a new car from out of state, it must be smogged before it can be registered.

Don't sweat it. It seems yours is one of the "not-so-dumb" laws in California...

- A law created in 1925 makes it illegal to wiggle while dancing.
- A person must be 18 years old to buy a wax container.
- All persons wishing to keep a rhinoceros as a pet must obtain a $100 license first.
- Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
- Before a business may have a “going out of business sale”, they must obtain a special permit from the city manager.
- Children may not wear a Halloween mask unless they get a special permit from the sheriff.
- City Council order reads: “No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash.” :smilielol:
- Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine.
- Cars are the only item allowed in a garage.
- Cars may not be driven in reverse.
- Cats and dogs are not allowed to have sex without a permit.
- ... etc, etc.
http://www.stupidlaws.com/laws/united-states/california/

V1P3R
01-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Bruce, does your emissions testing include a new set of rear's? :dude3:

ViperGeorge
01-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Get your self an OBD II reader. Plug it in and check the status of IM monitors. If one has failed take it to the dealer, if some are incomplete drive the sucker. It sometimes takes at least 3 drive cycles to complete some tests (especially the EVAP test). A drive cycle means the engine is off and coolant has cooled to below 140 degrees and then it is driven so that the temp exceeds some other number (180?). Without a reader you could be going back to the testing station a lot. Once the IM monitors are all passed you will pass smog. Some states allow 1 IM monitor to be incomplete. The Evap IM test takes the longest to complete as fuel in the tank must be between 15% and 85% and certain other driving conditions must be met. I think the A/C even needs to be on. A stupid test for sure.

Brian E
01-10-2014, 10:44 AM
"Generic" Drive Cycle Instructions:

1) The drive cycle begins with a cold start. Coolant temperatures must be below 122 °F and the difference between coolant and air temperatures read by the sensors must be within 11 degrees.
2) The ignition key must not be left on prior to the cold start – otherwise the heated oxygen sensor may not run.
3) As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for 2-1/2 minutes with the air conditioning and the rear defrost on.
4) Turn the air conditioning and the rear defrost off and accelerate to 55 mph under moderate and constant acceleration. Hold at a steady 55 mph for at least 3 minutes.
5) Decelerate to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch.
6) Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph. Hold for 5 minutes. Decelerate to a stop without braking.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
01-10-2014, 10:58 AM
When you get a few miles on your "New TA Beast", drive up to Sacramento and lets Dyno it..!! BTW It should pass emissions testing with no problem after a nice break-in run..

Congrats on your new Viper!

Bad Boyzz
Toddy

Martin
01-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Very common problem... It'll also happen if you let your battery go dead.

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
What Brain E says! In fact, that 'primer' should become a great sticky note explaining what to do on OBD-2+ cars whenever you swap a PCM, disconnect a battery, etc. . . . . . . . Brad, this is NOT a Viper issue, or a mileage issue, it is a lack-of-driving-cycles issue. . . . . PS I am very jealous that YOU have this TA problem, and I DONT !!

Brad00GTS
01-10-2014, 12:13 PM

Yeah I know, but somebody has to do it.

Good luck on that beauty Brad! Hey were you the one that got the headers and exhaust work done on the TA?

No, Mark was on vacation when I purchased it, and there was a driving standing by so I went with getting it sooner and not having to worry about when the next trailer was going out. Also, headers in Calif are not allowed.

Why did you go to the smog station with 25 miles????

Because I had to. Bad time of year for me to get a new car, no time to drive.

When you get a few miles on your "New TA Beast", drive up to Sacramento and lets Dyno it..!! BTW It should pass emissions testing with no problem after a nice break-in run..

Congrats on your new Viper!

Bad Boyzz
Toddy

Toddy, we are preparing our schedule of events for this year, I recommended we contact you and get some guys together and come to your shop. We will be in touch.

Brad00GTS
01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
What Brain E says! In fact, that 'primer' should become a great sticky note explaining what to do on OBD-2+ cars whenever you swap a PCM, disconnect a battery, etc. . . . . . . . Brad, this is NOT a Viper issue, or a mileage issue, it is a lack-of-driving-cycles issue. . . . . PS I am very jealous that YOU have this TA problem, and I DONT !!

I knew you would! Thanks Brian and Jon, I will try the primer also. Jon, are the 6 pt teamtechs for the Gen IV the same for the Gen V?

AZTVR
01-10-2014, 04:34 PM
idle the engine in drive for 2-1/2 minutes with the air conditioning and the rear defrost on.
My first reaction to this was "What possible reason would a drive cycle need to include the rear defrost being on?"
I then googled it and discovered that some say to also turn headlights on high beams and say that the more electrical load the better. I'm guessing that "they" want to have it experience max load on the alternator either for drag or to see lowest possible voltage output? Very interesting.

Newport Viper
01-10-2014, 06:05 PM
I will try the primer also.

They forgot to mention it only works while driving to the West.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
01-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Toddy, we are preparing our schedule of events for this year, I recommended we contact you and get some guys together and come to your shop. We will be in touch.

Sounds good!! Mi casa es su casa!!

Bad Boyzz
Toddy

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
01-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Nice talkin with you today Brad, looking forward to meeting the Central California VOA group at your upcoming February meeting..

I'll bring a few of my buddies so I got back-up..:t89186:

Bad Boyzz
Toddy

Exhlr8n
01-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Sounds like we will have some guest at our next Central Cal VOA meeting in Feb? If so, How about bringing down a set of those new Gen V headers for some eye candy...!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
01-12-2014, 02:46 AM
Sounds like we will have some guest at our next Central Cal VOA meeting in Feb? If so, How about bringing down a set of those new Gen V headers for some eye candy...!

Im sure we can arrange that, you got something to run them on??:t1567:

Bad Boyzz
Toddy

Brad00GTS
01-12-2014, 03:30 PM

If he doesn't respond here, I will email to see if this is possible. :dude3:

Black Adder
01-12-2014, 06:41 PM
When I "imported" my Voodoo (with 560miles on it) from Texas/NY I had to have it smogged. Couldn't believe the results and the smog guy was amazed, just about zero or really low on all readings. He said I should get it classed as a "low emissions vehicle" :-)

Brad00GTS
01-12-2014, 07:47 PM
When I "imported" my Voodoo (with 560miles on it) from Texas/NY I had to have it smogged. Couldn't believe the results and the smog guy was amazed, just about zero or really low on all readings. He said I should get it classed as a "low emissions vehicle" :-)

Same here, the air coming out of the exhaust is cleaner than the air we breath, but it still didn't pass. I have eighty miles on it now, so hope it makes it this time.

Exhlr8n
01-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Toddy,

I've got one of the Launch Edition Gen V, avatar is a pic. I will probably do some mods in the future.

Thanks
Tom

Brad00GTS
01-16-2014, 11:21 PM
I know you are all concerned, with 85 miles on the odometer, it passed with flying colors.

Canadian venom
01-16-2014, 11:49 PM
:dude3:

johniew398
01-17-2014, 12:04 AM
I know you are all concerned, with 85 miles on the odometer, it passed with flying colors.

Good to hear.

Black Adder
01-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Yeh !!!!

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-17-2014, 06:45 PM

Brad: About how many 'drive cycles' did it take to get 85 mi? 4-6? If you have TWO drives of 85 total miles it likely still would NOT pass. Miles don't matter much.....multiple adaptive-learning driving cycles do!

Brad00GTS
01-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Brad: About how many 'drive cycles' did it take to get 85 mi? 4-6? If you have TWO drives of 85 total miles it likely still would NOT pass. Miles don't matter much.....multiple adaptive-learning driving cycles do!

Jon

It was mainly one 50 mile drive and probably 5 other small drives