PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 1st gear

wum
09-09-2016, 09:38 PM
I tried searching, but wasn't able to find an answer, so I thought I'd just start a new thread. Basically, when I try to shift from 1st to 2nd gear at low speed (like in a parking lot) the transmission prevents any gear from engaging and I'm stuck in neutral for a few seconds until finally I'm able to engage 1st, 2nd or 3rd. It is not a problem if I am shifting from 1st to 2nd when the rpms are over 2K. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

TIA,

Mike

PTP
09-09-2016, 09:50 PM
That is the skip shift lockout.

"Shift blocking is a feature of automobile six-speed manual transmissions added to improve fuel economy ratings in the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) system by preventing a driver from switching from first gear to second or third as would be done normally. A solenoid prevents the shifter from engaging these gears, forcing the driver to shift from first to fourth gear. The solenoid is computer controlled, and will deactivate if the throttle is opened wide enough, or the car reaches speeds above those typical in city driving."

You can bypass it by getting the revs higher like you mentioned.

Mark1107
09-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Next oil change when it's on a lift there is a simple plug and play connector that disables the shift blocking located by tranny tunnel. They sell the connector on eBay 20-60 bucks.

Larryskillzs
09-09-2016, 11:47 PM
That skip shift is annoying and random to me. When I think it's going to happen it doesn't and when I don't think it's going to happen it does. Regulation for the win!!

wum
09-10-2016, 01:23 AM
got it. thanks everyone!

dethred
09-10-2016, 01:39 AM
Can a moderator move this to an archive or remove it? The thread title makes it sound like there's a mechanical problem with the car as opposed to the OP not knowing about a feature on the car.

apeas2
09-10-2016, 08:23 AM
When your in the range of skip shift, it also lights up on the top right of your instrument panel cluster with a gear shifter and skip shift light. It's small, but there.