PDA

View Full Version : How much does a complete repaint actually diminish the value of a car?

ViperSmith
01-09-2014, 08:51 PM
I am pondering getting my car repainted in a satin crusher orange color. I love crusher orange and the satin finish of the carbon is - just hot. So, it won't be a cheap paint job to say the least.

But, I keep hearing "It ruins the value of the car" - ok, but to what extent? An extra $5k in value? I mean, if you are dropping $15k on a paint job (as an example), you sure should be able to eat the cost of $5k in "loss" if so.

TowDawg
01-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Honestly, if it's a top notch paint job that's done correctly (and it's all documented), it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Voice of Reason
01-09-2014, 09:05 PM
How about a satin wrap in the color you're looking for?

BlknBlu
01-09-2014, 09:07 PM
As long as it is documented with pictures to show there was no previous damage and just a color change you should be fine.

Bruce

ViperSmith
01-09-2014, 09:07 PM
How about a satin wrap in the color you're looking for?
Considered it, would be MUCH cheaper - but the damned hood is SO BIG (6'x6') that 3M doesn't have a size that fits!

- - - Updated - - -

As long as it is documented with pictures to show there was no previous damage and just a color change you should be fine.

Bruce

Is that the biggest concern people have with complete repaints (that would be my guess, honestly)

FLATOUT
01-09-2014, 09:25 PM
I think it depends on the paint job. My 08 ACR was repainted GTS Blue with White stripes after it was spun on the way home from the dealer. The repair and paint work is such high quality that I'd take it over any factory scheme from 08-09. In 2010 they made some GTS Blue and White striped ACRs that I wouldn't mind owning :D

Newport Viper
01-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Paint it. enjoy it! Don't worry about it...

ViperSmith
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Paint it. enjoy it! Don't worry about it...

oh definitely, not. Someone remarked to me today and I was curious what people thought. Diminished value would be the least of my concerns!

Nine Ball
01-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Google images of satin orange wrapped cars. Does not look good at all. I would stick with OEM colors to retain value. Orange needs to be gloss to look right. Satin black is a more accepted/regular finish nowadays, orange is not.

LeadfootRT10
01-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Google images of satin orange wrapped cars. Does not look good at all. I would stick with OEM colors to retain value. Orange needs to be gloss to look right. Satin black is a more accepted/regular finish nowadays, orange is not.

Just did the same....not as appealing as i thought. I guess it would depend on the car otherwise it would end up looking like a traffic cone.

Timnineside
01-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Plasti dip is your friend. Spend a couple hundred bucks and run it for a few months. If you like it paint. If not peel it off and be happy.

ViperSmith
01-10-2014, 12:04 AM

Yeah - waiting on a sample of satin to see - plus not doing anything for many months

2010.Blue.White.ACR
01-10-2014, 01:17 AM
Have prefix paint it.

TowDawg
01-10-2014, 05:56 AM
I'm actually playing with different colors right now (waiting on the bodyshop to have some test panels for me to look at).
Mine is a repaint because of an accident though. Minor accident, with minimal damage, but managed to scratch up a few panels. Since I already had 40k on the car, I decided I might as well come out of pocket and do a complete re-paint since it had the typical chips and sand blasted areas anyway. While I'm at it, why not add the '08 hood too? Damn I'm bad about the "while you're in there" syndrome! lol
Since changing the color on a Viper isn't a big deal and all the panels need to come off for proper re-paint anyway, I'm toying with changing the color.
I'm 99% sure I'm going with the Lambo "balloon white" and silver stripes. Gonna have them do the base white with silver stripes and then pearl over all of it.
The factory Lambo color has a satin clear, but I'm looking at it with a regular clear.
A word of caution on the satin clear (and why I'm not doing it). It looks AWESOME, but it's hell on your paint guy because it has to be laid perfectly from the gun. He can't sand or buff it, or it will start getting shiny and won't be satin anymore. The main reason, I'm not going satin is that I actually drive the car a good bit (I might be done tracking it though, since it will be so pretty and I have a separate race car now anyway), but the same issue of buffing applies to me as well. If it's satin, I can't buff anything later, or the finish will start to get shiny.
Just something to think about.

plumcrazy
01-10-2014, 06:00 AM
id never worry about the value if i wanted to paint MY car.

F2V
01-10-2014, 06:31 AM

Good advice...and I wouldn't let anybody do it, one way or the other, except PREFIX...and you'll also be pleased with the documentation.

Policy Limits
01-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Get crusher orange or snake skin green and from prefix

Smog Dog
01-10-2014, 07:28 AM
I would stick with Prefix and a factory color.

Bill

The_Greg
01-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Get crusher orange or snake skin green and from prefix

Oh man, SSG Gen V... That would be cool! But I also believe there should be more orange Vipers out there.

When I was shopping for a Viper the only thing I wanted to know about re-paints were what the car looked like before the work. And I think Nine Ball has a point about factory colors... I would be more comfortable sporting a Crusher Orange Viper than some House of Kolor crazy color.

SNKEBIT
01-10-2014, 07:44 AM
I am sorry but why pay 3 times more for a paintjob from Prefix? I have seen their stuff.
I know I am gonna get flamed here but there stuff is better than most but not worth the price tag unless you like throwing money away.
There are shops out there that do better work for less money.
rant over...................

SNKEBIT
01-10-2014, 07:47 AM
Oh man, SSG Gen V... That would be cool! But I also believe there should be more orange Vipers out there.

When I was shopping for a Viper the only thing I wanted to know about re-paints were what the car looked like before the work. And I think Nine Ball has a point about factory colors... I would be more comfortable sporting a Crusher Orange Viper than some House of Kolor crazy color.

We painted a gen 3 vert candy apple red before Chrysler used it. It got rave reviews for years! And a lot cheaper than prefix. lol
It depends on the color.

slitherv10
01-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Painting it orange would make it a wanna be TA in my opinion. I would paint it a one of color that you like. In the end your the one who's going to live it. Plus, you don't want to be a copy cat or wanna be TA.
As far as paint shops. I have to agree with SNKEBIT, have it custom painted from a good paint shop, some of those guys who do show winning cars at shows, and put the money into the painjob not the name behind it Nothing wrong with Prefix of course but there are certainly better out there, way better.

AZTVR
01-10-2014, 08:38 AM
I definitely believe that it would be a good idea to have photos at the paint shop just before the paint job is started. Maybe a video if you have capability. You will limit your resale anyway to someone that likes your choice of color, and they also will think about the resale value. The best way to reduce concern is have the capability to prove that it was your choice to create a one-of-one new Gen V; essentially a bespoke car, that the factory could not do for you. Be able to play it up as an asset.

VENOM V
01-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Although I'm sure there are other top notch paint shops, my Prefix paint job is show car quality. Prefix is a name the average Viper buyer knows, so unless it's really pricey they would be best for resale. As far as colors, I think crusher orange should stay with the TA. How about a 1 of 1 2013 SSG? I'd spring for black GTS stripes but that's a personal preference.

Policy Limits
01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Hmmm not so sure; remember last year they said white stripes can only be painted on a launch edition ? And now it's available as an option for other colors like adrenaline red a year later.

Personally I hope crusher can be had on the GTS in the future and on the roadster. Still wanna see Stryker Green too...

FLATOUT
01-10-2014, 10:35 AM
I think any prefix multi stage work is wroth it, and is great work. But if you are simply changing to a standard color or stripe combo prefix is certainly not any better than another top notch painter.

I think someone above though hit the nail on the head, document the process. People are always afraid of something being hidden or done to cover something up. One of the reason I like to document my install work is so other members can see the quality, care, and time I spend on all of the little details that most shops don't have the time to address. Same thing would go with paint work I would think.

Andy

Policy Limits
01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Another practical consideration: what, if any, steps need to be taken with the Department of Motor Vehicles in terms of Title and Registration of a car that completely changes color?

I'd bet the laws might differ from State to State.

VYPR BYT
01-10-2014, 10:51 AM
The answer to your question breaks down like this;

1) If your drive the car and enjoy it frequently... paint it. The future buyer in that particular market will not mind if it looks great and unique.

2) If you own a garage queen... don't paint it. That is a different type of buyer looking at it when the day comes should you want to sell.

Mike

FLATOUT
01-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Thats not a bad way to look at it VYPR BYT. If I had a special edition car i.e. VooDoo or 1:33 I wouldn't touch it but standard base color cars wouldn't bother me especially if it was upgraded to something unique like a three stage snake skin green, or a balloon white.

05Commemorative
01-10-2014, 12:45 PM
I think of it two ways.

1) If you plan to keep it for a long time, do what you want with it and don't worry about the value.

2) If you do plan to sell, plan to take a major hit on it. I for one would not be interested in it (regardless of color or quality or documentation) and would always prefer the factory job. Maybe just me. I think you would have to find someone who was equally interested in the color you chose. If you chose a factory color, the buyer would look for one that was originally the factory color. If you chose a custom color, then you are looking for a buy that would equally appreciate that factory color - ie, small audience.

ViperSmith
01-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am tossing around the idea of satin - of which I'd have prefix do - but I am not married to prefix if I just want a crusher orange. For what they charge, I could easily just trade in for a TA at this point I'd assume.

The hardest part will be finding a good shop to do it locally, but I haven't ruled out Prefix, though as stated they will be much more expensive.

FLATOUT
01-10-2014, 02:29 PM
One thing to think about is a lot of members add aftermarket hoods, aero, and other parts that are painted by independent shops as well.

I do think if you go too outside the box you will simply cut down on potential future demand. Mines GTS Blue with White stripes so it doesn't get much more Viper than that.

XSnake
01-10-2014, 02:51 PM
wrap it

plumcrazy
01-10-2014, 04:54 PM
i agree with mitch, there are as good or better options for paint jobs for a lot less money

Newport Viper
01-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Another practical consideration: what, if any, steps need to be taken with the Department of Motor Vehicles in terms of Title and Registration of a car that completely changes color?

I'd bet the laws might differ from State to State.

Whoa! Love the deep thought on that this one. I wonder too!

VRYALT3R3D
01-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Do you plan on keeping the Viper for a long time? If yes, it doesn't matter.

commandomatt
01-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Repaint the damage area on your car

Trade the car in for a TA since that Orange is what you are after

Yes, you will loose some on the trade in but you would also loose some on the paint job. It may be about even in this regard. You will get the color and a car that is even better than what you currently have

I think one if the biggest issues with having a car painted when all the panels are removed is how well the painter re-installs them. Paint may be great but you may created a rattle box. This would be one of the reasons I would use a company like Prefix since they have done so many Vipers, they certainly know how to assemble them again. In other words, I think you have to look at more than just the ability to create a nice finish.

Matt

TowDawg
01-11-2014, 11:39 AM
With the work I've done on my car (and general curiosity), I've had every body panel (expect the doors) off the car at least once. That's the beauty of these of these cars. They're so simple to work on that someone with patience and even a small amount of mechanical ability can take them apart and put them back together. If the bodyshop is good enough to do a high-end paint job, they can certainly handle removing the panels and putting them back on.
Hell, they should even be able to improve on the panel gaps from the factory! lol

SNKEBIT
01-11-2014, 04:53 PM
With the work I've done on my car (and general curiosity), I've had every body panel (expect the doors) off the car at least once. That's the beauty of these of these cars. They're so simple to work on that someone with patience and even a small amount of mechanical ability can take them apart and put them back together. If the bodyshop is good enough to do a high-end paint job, they can certainly handle removing the panels and putting them back on.
Hell, they should even be able to improve on the panel gaps from the factory! lol

^^^^^^ THIS!!!!!!^^^^^^^

The really nice paint job doesn't look too good if you don't put the car back together properly. We often put them back together better than the factory did. But nobody ever notices that because they didn't notice the crappy fitment from the factory.... or the crappy factory paint job.
Vipers are easy to work on compared to most of the foreign cars out there, and some American made. We have done many.....