PDA

View Full Version : Headers on Gen 5

DPViper
01-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Will the Gen 4 Belangers fit the Gen 5? It would be nice to use my Gen 4 headers on the new car. Also...does the Gen 5 throw a code with headers and no PCM? Thanks, DPViper

Nambo
01-09-2014, 07:05 AM
I believe that the engine position was moved slightly and that the Gen IV headers won't work on the Gen V, I am sure someone will correct me if that is in error. I only have 200 miles on mine so far but no CEL yet.

Nine Ball
01-09-2014, 07:24 AM
I've heard the primaries fit identical, but the collectors have to be cut and the angle changed for the Gen V.

Garron
01-09-2014, 07:32 AM
I've heard the primaries fit identical, but the collectors have to be cut and the angle changed for the Gen V.

I have been getting emails from Belanger about tip design.

Call them, they are friendly and great to talk too.

Policy Limits
01-09-2014, 07:45 AM
I've heard up to 1500 miles without a cel on ones that fit. Gonna keep track until 5k miles before I pull the trigger.

That new TA that Mark just did sounds nasty; and that's just at idle!

ViperSmith
01-09-2014, 08:23 AM
I've heard up to 1500 miles without a cel on ones that fit. Gonna keep track until 5k miles before I pull the trigger.

That new TA that Mark just did sounds nasty; and that's just at idle!

Come on man, that TA is calling your name!

mjorgensen
01-09-2014, 08:45 AM
I think that there was a person that modified the Gen4 headers to fit, but I know that Lou made some good changes on the GenV header to insure the compatibility with the factory emissions needs and no CEL. There is a car running around AZ. for Lou with over 4000 miles now with no problems so we were 95% confident that they were safe to start offering to our customers.

Policy Limits
01-09-2014, 09:08 AM
That's great news; will keep it in mind if I get the roadster.

Jack B
01-09-2014, 01:57 PM
The O2 sensor location was also changed on the g5 balenger's.

Existing headers would be hard to modify due to the double ceramic coating.

I would think balenger would offer the collectors only - worth a call

Does anyone have a before/after opinion

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Short-Answer is "not perfectly" ..... a G4 full system was muled-up to a G5 in AZ, to tweak the G5 fit as noted above......It was then removed almost-as-new..... {PartsRack sold the 'slightly blemished' unit for Lou....} Other than the 2 AZ-Eddie units, Mark is the only hands-on guy so far....... I'll be a lot happier after some break-in-miles and NO CELs on multiple cars.....

cashcorn
01-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Will this void the warranty? And if a CEL comes on, will the GenV go into limp mode like the previous Gen4.

Coloviper
01-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Was the O2 sensor moved into the header tubes collector as opposed to just being off of one exhaust tube as in the past? Great if it is as the former location will NOT pass emissions. Been there and done that! Loved the sound and torque of the Belangers on my GEN III Viper I had, but boiled down to O2 Sensor location and crappy hi-flo cats which did not allow it to pass emissions period. If those have been corrected, then there is real hope for the system. Only CEL I ever had was after 3,000 miles on the system and an O2 sensor wire shook loose, got too close to the header and burnt up/shorted out. I agree with Jon however as true real world results will tell the story on the set-up.

Bill Pemberton
01-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Now Coloviper, you just need to get a PO Box in some little village , like Phippsburg, on the other side of the East Range, and then you won't need no stinking checkups. Now, you have to
admit , that is a pretty good idea, right?!

Coloviper
01-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Bill, funny you say that as I have a second home (wink, wink) that I rent (wink, wink (for free)) in my friends pool house at his home in Pueblo West where I have the Saleen S351R registered. A PO Box will unfortunately not work as damn state requires a physical address. Wouldn't you know it, 3 months after registering it there, I started to get Jury Duty notices in Pueblo County. I mean come on!!!!!! What a pain in the butt.

Anyway I found a way out of that because of a technicality as I was not a full time resident of the county so after a few hours on the phone with the Clerk, she took me off the call for public service lists and wouldn't you know it, 6 weeks later I get called to Jury Duty in my permanent home county. WTF!!!!!! Thankfully my number did not get picked in the attend actual jury lucky lottery.

The entire thing is a pain in the ass. In this land of governments dying to get more money, they could double or even triple my yearly vehicle registration amount and I would happily pay it if it meant I had a waiver from emissions every year and went on my merry way.

I am just so sick of these useless government agencies like EPA, etc. Global warming, what a fairy tale. Like the scientific and political mission of the recent Russian ice breaker going to the South Pole to prove the science on Global warming and how we are killing the planet, yet it gets stuck in the ice on the way home. None of this passes the real sniff test! Can't common sense ever come into play. Like my 2,500 miles a year does anything to hurt even a blade of grass.

Coloviper
01-09-2014, 07:58 PM
I am from Colorado so I should clarify as of January 2014, I mean grass as in Kentucky Blue Grass on the lawn in front of our home. Our other Grassy State Grass is pretty expensive if you watch the news. Sure let everyone light up and drive back home from their other states as 1/2 of the tokers coming here are from out of state, yet get me on the ground and beat me like Rodney King because I have hi-flo cats on the car. Argh!!!!!!!

But I am all better now. However the 96' RT is starting to feel anemic with just factory motor, the KN Filtercharger Stage II kit and Borla cat-back. So a old VCA member sold me his new NOS in-the-box Edelbrock CARB Compliant Ceramic Headers last week (complete with custom copper gaskets), picked up a Fidanza lightweight flywheel read to go in and just need new Dana or Mopar 3.55 gears to help wake it up a little.

Hopefully that will help get me through the summer with a smile. Would love to put the CARB Compliant Paxton kit on the car shortly down the road as well to hopefully get near 600 rwhp, though I believe electronics and fuel system upgrades would be needed to really do that and then it boils back down to complying with the frickin' emissions specs again holding me back.

Can't register two vehicles at my friends place as I believe he has another 4 people registering their hopped up cars there too (Euro Spec Porsches, Ferraris, etc.) so I am sure it will hit some flag somewhere at some point.

Okay enough of my soap box. I am out here in SLC, Utah at a mining site and bored so my rant is over now.

Later dudes!!!!!

johniew398
01-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Although you have to watch living in one state and registering a vehicle in another state as one of our state court judges found out here a few years back.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2003/11/conviction-in-arkansas-rv-tax-case-upheld/

But then again he was doing it so he didn't have to pay sales taxes not get around the smog requirements.

Jack B
01-09-2014, 09:49 PM
I am not sure because I have not seen a G4. I had a talk with Lou Balenger and he said the first few he did set codes so they moved the location of the O2. I can tell you this, there is a O2 bung in one of the primary tubes and the second O2 is three inches past the only cat. I get the impression that the G4 had the second O2 between the first and second cat, that is a guess.

Was the O2 sensor moved into the header tubes collector as opposed to just being off of one exhaust tube as in the past? Great if it is as the former location will NOT pass emissions. Been there and done that! Loved the sound and torque of the Belangers on my GEN III Viper I had, but boiled down to O2 Sensor location and crappy hi-flo cats which did not allow it to pass emissions period. If those have been corrected, then there is real hope for the system. Only CEL I ever had was after 3,000 miles on the system and an O2 sensor wire shook loose, got too close to the header and burnt up/shorted out. I agree with Jon however as true real world results will tell the story on the set-up.

mjorgensen
01-10-2014, 08:49 AM
I am not sure because I have not seen a G4. I had a talk with Lou Balenger and he said the first few he did set codes so they moved the location of the O2. I can tell you this, there is a O2 bung in one of the primary tubes and the second O2 is three inches past the only cat. I get the impression that the G4 had the second O2 between the first and second cat, that is a guess.

Correct so in theory you could remove the back (second) factory cat and still be CEL free ;-) Lou did a great job making this work and so far I have not been contacted about any problems and he is sending them to me as fast as he can make them.

Coloviper
01-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Mark, but not emissions compliant, correct due yo removing cats. Would be great if Lou offered ability to keep all factory cats but replaced Headers and cat back only for those that have to comply. Sure it leaves some power on the table but is only option for those that need to still be compliant to register. Please pass on to Lou. I would but he would just yell at me some more.

Jack B
01-10-2014, 10:09 PM
At this point, the Balenger single cat does seem to be emissions compliant?

Mark, but not emissions compliant, correct due yo removing cats. Would be great if Lou offered ability to keep all factory cats but replaced Headers and cat back only for those that have to comply. Sure it leaves some power on the table but is only option for those that need to still be compliant to register. Please pass on to Lou. I would but he would just yell at me some more.

cashcorn
01-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Anybody in CA. have the Balanger exhaust installed and pass smog yet. Would like to have it installed before shipping(but need to have it smoged to register). I could always do the later, but would be cool from day 1.

mjorgensen
01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Anybody in CA. have the Balanger exhaust installed and pass smog yet. Would like to have it installed before shipping(but need to have it smoged to register). I could always do the later, but would be cool from day 1.

I would think it would pass a plug in because everything is in place to keep the PCM happy and if they are making more power they should be more efficaint and clean, but the cold starting would likely not pass if that is a part of any testing in your area. (don't think it is)

ViperGuy
01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Mark, Since you've got a couple G5 Balanger cars already on the road is it possible to post before and after dyno results... Thanks.

mjorgensen
01-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Mark, Since you've got a couple G5 Balanger cars already on the road is it possible to post before and after dyno results... Thanks.

Have not had the chance to dyno before and after on any customer new vehicles, sales and the customers are always in a hurry. I'm trying to get the GTS with some miles in for just that though.

ACRucrazy
01-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Any Gen Vers step up with the BBG headers? They look pretty sick to me!

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/BBG_GTS-R_2.JPG

Jack B
01-15-2014, 05:35 AM
Mark

We all know it is about time and money. We at the VOA site are going to contribute to a Woodhouse fund that will will pay for the dyno testing of a V with the Balengers. I have sent 49 cents to your paypal account to kick off the fund inception. If the fund does not reach expectations we will also allow you and Bill to buy beer with said fund.

Have not had the chance to dyno before and after on any customer new vehicles, sales and the customers are always in a hurry. I'm trying to get the GTS with some miles in for just that though.