PDA

View Full Version : The fastest car for under $100,000

V10LEE
01-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Sweet article! I don't know how I missed this one.. :cool:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1303_2013_srt_viper_first_test/

C.J
01-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Makes you wonder what the press reports would have looked like had SRT given production vs. pre-prod vehicles to the press. Good find, thanks for posting!

Policy Limits
01-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Good stuff

Coloviper
01-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Why can't that POS rag just give the Viper it's dues? Why be childish with the little quips like barely, close enough, etc like it is doing the Viper this great favor. At this point I would not even wipe my ass with that mag. Don't even open it up at the supermarket to look st the pictures anymore. Truly rank it up there with the National Enquirer. I hope Ralph and team have the balls to never send a single SRT vehicle to them ever again.

No hemi
01-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Same ol Same ol.. funny how in the comments every 2 comments there's a guy saying that the gt500 is way better. lol

DreadLox
01-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Why can't that POS rag just give the Viper it's dues? Why be childish with the little quips like barely, close enough, etc like it is doing the Viper this great favor. At this point I would not even wipe my ass with that mag. Don't even open it up at the supermarket to look st the pictures anymore. Truly rank it up there with the National Enquirer. I hope Ralph and team have the balls to never send a single SRT vehicle to them ever again.

Lol, point is valid. All it's done is help give viper a bad rep. All I ever here is "oh well motortrend says this, look at this... Blah blah blah". But I am glad they seemed to change their harsh feelings on the viper. I think too many people are intomidated by it. I honestly wouldn't trade my viper in on a Ferrari or anything else but ANOTHER viper.

Allan
01-09-2014, 08:14 AM
I didn't think it was that negative.

They didn't say 'this car sucks, don't buy one'

...........pretty much seemed to say 'what's up with it?'
I do wish the mags would give the Viper more praise and less questioning, but at least they aren't totally ignoring it.

Some of the problem I think is the Viper sets the bar of expectations so high because 'it's a Viper' in the first place.
If it has to submit at all to the laws of physics, we as car people are surprised.

We as Viper guys have the mentality that nothing else is like a Viper. And we are right.
The real problem is that other cars are becoming high power, fast cars as well.
The mindset of all, is that the Viper should somehow yet be so much more than the rest.
That's very cool, but a hard rep to back up. ......as everyone else is playing so hard.

The Viper reviews not being so stellar and full of questions, are a result of the car's previous untouchable dominance.
Now that all the competing cars are using superchargers and such, doesn't help.

ViperSmith
01-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Most exciting car I've ever owned. Makes me feel like I am "16 again driving around trying to pickup chicks" - without being 16 or trying to pickup chicks.

Nine Ball
01-09-2014, 08:47 AM
The editorial staff of MT are generally just a bunch of nerds that are journalists, not gearheads. I'd say MacKenzie is about the only exception in that group, he seems to know his cars and has the experience. Randy P is just a driver, not a journalist, so his input is worthwhile. The rest of them? They daily-drive commuting appliances with no soul, and some people think these guys are authorities on telling us which cars are better. It is a joke, I wouldn't ask any of these guys for advice on what I should buy.

FrgMstr
01-09-2014, 08:57 AM
I think the conclusion says a whole lot about where your money should be going. Still liking that new TA though.

The new Viper is as good at $99,000 as it is at $140,000; it’s more rewarding for a driver new to the car; it’s a higher-quality car than it used to be in every regard; and it’s even easier to drive on the street. (It has a better ride and a lighter clutch than old models.) The highest-performing car under $100,000? Close enough.

Timnineside
01-09-2014, 12:43 PM
The editorial staff of MT are generally just a bunch of nerds that are journalists, not gearheads. I'd say MacKenzie is about the only exception in that group, he seems to know his cars and has the experience. Randy P is just a driver, not a journalist, so his input is worthwhile. The rest of them? They daily-drive commuting appliances with no soul, and some people think these guys are authorities on telling us which cars are better. It is a joke, I wouldn't ask any of these guys for advice on what I should buy.

Well put.

VENOM V
01-09-2014, 12:45 PM

:t1236:

Policy Limits
01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
VERY well stated Tony

v10enomous
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
So SRT finally bought a few ads... hehe

slitherv10
01-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Not sure what they are trying to accomplish here.

In one way they look like they are trying to prove that the Viper SRT or GTS with or without the "tire" issue can still not beat the ZR1 and, in another way they look like their trying to explain and show us why it lost and by only measly amounts and, that it is meaningless in general and, lastly they are trying to tell us that the extra money for the GTS over the SRT is not worth it unless you like dual mode this and leather that.
Not sure what they were trying to accomplish really other than that they are completely clueless on how to rate, test and or compare vehicles in general. Like a bunch of kids trying to figure out the answer.

As for some of the little kids and their comments...you gotta love the spirit from the GT500 guys. Vipers and Corvettes are race breed cars....mustangs are ...well...just cars......

I too wouldn't send my VW for those guys to test. That mag needs to get some new staff to test cars before they end up looking like a car comic.