PDA

View Full Version : Uconnect antenna disconnect

ek1
08-29-2016, 08:42 PM
I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the whole big brother thing. The Viper is my first car with this feature and it bothers me. I generally have an issue with driving around in a car that continuously records it's current location and uploads it to some remote server. And no, I dont need it to contact some call center if I hit something on a racetrack.

Does anyone know how to disable this functionality without affecting the rest of the system (i.e. navigation, media playback, SRT apps, etc). I found the thread here: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/13355-Black-box-under-rear-view-mirror?highlight=uconnect which describes the location of the uConnect antenna, but I need more info - i.e. how to disable it without causing permanent damage.

Does anyone have any info?

ViperTony
08-29-2016, 09:09 PM
I was wondering the same. I'm hoping it's a simple matter of removing a fuse but I doubt it. While it's neat that I get monthly vehicle health reports from my Viper it creeps me out.

ek1
08-29-2016, 09:52 PM
For those of you who did not want to waste time on reading uConnect Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, here are some bits that will hopefully make you think twice. DO BOTHER to read fragments below,as you may be happy you did.

Terms of Service:

You must be aware that your information and your vehicle data (including location information) may be collected, used, disclosed, and shared in accordance with this Agreement and U.S. laws, rules, and regulations. You consent to the collection, use and disclosure of this data, including by FCA US. Your vehicle, as manufactured, may include certain features that may collect vehicle data (including location information) even before you buy your vehicle and before and after your use of the Uconnect Services. We use this data as described in the Uconnect Privacy Policy for diagnostics, for troubleshooting, and to provide vehicle health information to you.

Location-Based Services: You consent to Sprint sharing your location and other needed enabling information to third parties as described in the Uconnect Privacy Policy. It is your responsibility to notify users of your vehicle that location can be identified.

Other Disclosures of Vehicle Information: In addition to the service features in your selected package, your vehicle may include certain features that will provide information about your vehicle, your vehicle’s performance, your vehicle’s location, your feature utilization, and other topics to third parties to enable the third parties to, among other things, improve their products and services. This vehicle information will be collected by Sprint and shared with FCA US. You hereby consent to Sprint and FCA US disclosing this information. Additional information about vehicle information and other collection information is described in the Uconnect Privacy Policy.

Transported Data: You agree that no data transmitted over Sprint networks or the internet is guaranteed to be secure. Sprint is not guaranteeing that any data that you submit to Sprint will be free from unauthorized intrusion.

Vehicle Health Report: If available, data contained in vehicle health reports is not intended to diagnose any mechanical or performance issues with your vehicle. It is your responsibility to maintain and service your vehicle. Sprint is not liable for any performance or mechanical issues. Data provided on the report may include confidential information—including your vehicle’s VIN. Sprint is not responsible for securing this data.

Sprint reserves the right to modify the Uconnect Services (including remote updates on the Device), these terms of service, and the Ts&Cs at any time without notice or liability to you in its sole discretion.

Location-Enabled Services: Our networks generally know the location of your Device when it is outdoors and/or turned on. By using various technologies to locate your Device, we can provide enhanced emergency 911 services and optional location-enabled services provided by us or a third party.

Indemnification: You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Sprint and our subsidiaries, affiliates, parent companies harmless from any claims arising out of or relating to your actions, including, but not limited to, your use of the Service and any information you submit, post, transmit, or make available via the Service; failing to provide appropriate notices regarding location-enabled services (see "Location-Enabled Services" section); failure to safeguard your passwords, backup question to your shared secret question, or other account information; or violating this Agreement or any policy referenced in this Agreement, any applicable law or regulation, or the rights of any third party.

Privacy Policy:

INFORMATION SPRINT AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTS: In addition to the information that you directly provide, Sprint may collect information from you or your vehicle (with Information You Give, all called “Collected Data”) which may include but not limited to:

Vehicle Data: information related to your vehicle, such as vehicle sensor data, diagnostic data, odometer readings, collision information, location information, information about when your ignition is turned on or off, speed, tire pressure data, performance data, information about accidents, driving history, etc.;

Location Information: GPS location information about your vehicle in the following circumstances: to respond to a request from inside the vehicle (e.g., when you request directions or conduct a point of interest search); to notify emergency service providers; to assist law enforcement as part of a request for stolen vehicle assistance; to protect your safety or the safety of others in our sole discretion (e.g., to locate a missing person); as part of the Vehicle Data for quality or research and development purposes; to provide the Uconnect Services; to send you Uconnect Services related messages or as may be required by law or regulations. Some of this data may be transmitted even after your ignition is off; and

User Experience Data: information about the way you use the Uconnect Services that helps FCA US and Sprint improve, customize or communicate about services which are offered to you.

Your information and your Vehicle Data (including Location Information) may be collected, used, disclosed, and shared in accordance with this Policy and U.S. laws, rules, and regulations. You consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this data, including by FCA US.

Your vehicle, as manufactured, may include certain features that may collect Vehicle Data (including Location Information) even before you buy your vehicle, and before and after your use of the Uconnect Services. We may use this data for diagnostics, troubleshooting, and to provide vehicle health and other information to you.

HOW SPRINT AND FCA US USE YOUR INFORMATION: Sprint and FCA US use Collected Data for a variety of purposes including, but not limited to provide the Uconnect Services to you; for troubleshooting and maintenance; to communicate with you about your account, primarily through the email address you provide at registration; to prevent fraud and misuse of the Uconnect Services; to allow Sprint and FCA US (and their subsidiaries, affiliates, and dealers) to evaluate and improve products or services, and to offer you new or additional products or services; to protect your safety and the safety of others; to comply with laws, regulations, court orders, and subpoenas or similar requests for information by authorities; to analyze vehicle information and vehicle use information for quality and product improvement purposes, and to enforce the Uconnect Terms of Service. This list is not meant to be exhaustive. Sprint shares the Collected Data with FCA US, who uses it for its purposes and purposes of its affiliated companies, including marketing.

HOW INFORMATION IS SHARED: Sprint and FCA US may share Collected Data with each other. Either may disclose the Collected Data to any of the third parties described below, and for any of the uses described in How Sprint and FCA US Use Your Information.

Information Shared with Third Parties: Sprint and FCA US may share Collected Data with third parties who facilitate or provide some aspect of the Uconnect Services, such as third-party application providers, roadside assistance providers, law enforcement, regulatory agencies, or emergency service providers. Sprint and FCA US also share that information to enable any of the uses described in How Sprint and FCA US Use Your Information. Vehicle Data may be collected and shared with FCA US at all times and including for a period of time after your use of the Uconnect Services. This includes GPS location information about your vehicle.

Your use of third-party applications may result in these third parties collecting your personal information and obtaining information from Sprint, including location information (when applicable).

SAFEGUARDS AND RETENTION OF INFORMATION: Sprint uses a variety of procedural, physical, and technological safeguards in our efforts to protect your information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Sprint requires you to have a Uconnect Services user ID and password, and it is important that you maintain the confidentiality of this information at all times and update the password regularly. Sprint also requires that you establish a Uconnect Services personal identification number (PIN) which is required to use certain features such as remote door lock and unlock. It is important that you do not provide your PIN to anyone who is not authorized to use the Uconnect Services or incur charges on your Uconnect Services account. Sprint and FCA US are not responsible for unauthorized use of the Uconnect Services or charges to your account when the appropriate authentication has been provided. Neither Sprint nor FCA US can guarantee that your information will never be disclosed in a manner inconsistent with this Policy (for example, as the result of illegal acts by third parties).