PDA

View Full Version : This is going to Sting a bit. New ZO6....

Newport Viper
01-08-2014, 06:14 PM
http://jalopnik.com/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-has-620-horses-650-pound-f-1496255058

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/01/2015-corvette-z06-power-figures-leak-features-more-torque-than-outgoing-zr1/

FrgMstr
01-08-2014, 06:15 PM
http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/1507-corvette-zo6-c7

ViperSmith
01-08-2014, 06:35 PM
What is going to sting?

ieem01172
01-08-2014, 06:51 PM
No! SRT please make a twin turbo charged viper with 1650 torque and 1620 hp , just to prove a point.

Sybil TF
01-08-2014, 07:04 PM
What is going to sting? Yeah? I see no sting.

DreadLox
01-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Ehh, when the new ACR comes out it'll be dominating. SRT won't let GM blow them out, the GTS was "bested" by the ZR1 @ Laguna Seca and boom we have the TA

Policy Limits
01-08-2014, 07:58 PM
If that's the new Z06 imagine the ZR1; at least we still have an ACR to come

slitherv10
01-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Ehh, when the new ACR comes out it'll be dominating. SRT won't let GM blow them out, the GTS was "bested" by the ZR1 @ Laguna Seca and boom we have the TA

It did it in 1:33.62, eight hundredths of a second faster than the ZR1. I don't know if I would be bragging about that too much. If they took it around the track 10 more times, who know what times they would come up with.

If that's the new Z06 imagine the ZR1; at least we still have an ACR to come

If we have an ACR coming..by then..you think ZO6 is going to stay the way it is? cars get faster, and better every year. If and that if SRT comes out with an ACR type car, chevy will just up the game and bring out the apples to apples competitor in the ZR1. I cringe at what that will have.
If and only if SRT and the Viper goes hay wire and does as they did back in the early 90's and puts out stupid HP, like 800..then and only then will the Viper be back to where it was and should be among its competition.

Policy Limits
01-08-2014, 08:19 PM
The corvette is just a car.

ViperSmith
01-08-2014, 08:21 PM
It did it in 1:33.62, eight hundredths of a second faster than the ZR1. I don't know if I would be bragging about that too much. If they took it around the track 10 more times, who know what times they would come up with.

If we have an ACR coming..by then..you think ZO6 is going to stay the way it is? cars get faster, and better every year. If and that if SRT comes out with an ACR type car, chevy will just up the game and bring out the apples to apples competitor in the ZR1. I cringe at what that will have.
If and only if SRT and the Viper goes hay wire and does as they did back in the early 90's and puts out stupid HP, like 800..then and only then will the Viper be back to where it was and should be among its competition.

I love it

The car sets a record fresh out of the gate, took the ZR1 5 years to do it, and it isn't good enough for you.

None of us will be able to drive the cars at that limit, so I don't get why some of you are obsessed with minor differences in times.

Policy Limits
01-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Yup even at 100 & change my dash said I was only using 300 of my 640 horses.

And it took a 3/4 mill 918 to beat the TA which speaks volumes, if you're keeping score ;)

slitherv10
01-08-2014, 08:32 PM
I love it

The car sets a record fresh out of the gate, took the ZR1 5 years to do it, and it isn't good enough for you.

None of us will be able to drive the cars at that limit, so I don't get why some of you are obsessed with minor differences in times.

Actually if you look at it at a different angle...it would be a 5 year old car that did it ,and, no that wouldn't be good enough for me and, obviously from most responses from the media and the Viper world, it doesn't settle well with them either.

I do agree though that minor differences mean nothing and shouldn't after all a win is a win.

The new ZO6 though does have some good angles. Being a car guy, you have to appreciate it. Well, maybe not the back light design but overall its a job well done by Chevy.

DreadLox
01-08-2014, 10:13 PM
When it comes down to it I truly believe the corvette will always be good for the viper and the viper will always be good for the corvette :). Their like good friends that continually try to outdo each other, when ones bests the other the other comes back fighting.

mnc2886
01-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Actually if you look at it at a different angle...it would be a 5 year old car that did it ,and, no that wouldn't be good enough for me and, obviously from most responses from the media and the Viper world, it doesn't settle well with them either.

I do agree though that minor differences mean nothing and shouldn't after all a win is a win.

The new ZO6 though does have some good angles. Being a car guy, you have to appreciate it. Well, maybe not the back light design but overall its a job well done by Chevy.

I hate the bench race here, but .08 faster or not, it did it on far inferior tires. If you keep watching they put real racing tires on the TA and it ran a 1:31. Those are slicks granted, but from what I've read, slicks are decreasing lap times about 1 second off the semi-slicks from Michelin. Sorry to burst anyone's Vette bubble, but the ZR1 would lose by a significant margin tire to tire, period.

Also, nothing about this situation stings. SRT loses and the bite back quick and hard. Just like stated above, it is why the TA exists.

Sorry for those of you waiting on a vert, but if you see this Vette beat the Laguna time, you'll see an SRT repsonse inside 2 months, period. Ralph won't let it happen. It isn't in his DNA and the ACR will be born. I'll also bet the standard cars will come with a refreshed Trak-pak with trofeos or something. Possibly have suspensions mods too.

I want to Z06 to win in all honesty. The Z06 has been the Viper's best friend in disguise. It's the reason the Gen IV had a 95 HP bump and many other tweaks.

I'd hate to upset anyone who is gearing up to keyboard slap everyone on the internet telling them that the Viper is washed up, but this situation is all good.

slysnake
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
OK, OK, You convinced me. I'm trading my Viper for a Vette now.......................................... NOT!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
01-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Nice ride, competition's good!! Makes a good case for a set of race headers and a performance clutch upgrade..

Bad Boyzz
Toddy

Chorps
01-08-2014, 11:37 PM

I heard the ZR1 had boiled its brakes. That's one thing the Viper has going for it, it's hellforstrong. It can keep lapping all day without hiccups. This is one of the major reasons why the SRT engineers keep looking down their noses at FI engines, FI engines will heat soak and deliver less performance as the laps accumulate.

Almost all of the fast cars need a long cool down after hot lapping, but the Viper will keep on ticking off times while the others are in the paddock. Unfortunately, none of the magazines or reviews seem to put any value on this.

mnc2886
01-09-2014, 01:21 AM
I heard the ZR1 had boiled its brakes. That's one thing the Viper has going for it, it's hellforstrong. It can keep lapping all day without hiccups. This is one of the major reasons why the SRT engineers keep looking down their noses at FI engines, FI engines will heat soak and deliver less performance as the laps accumulate.

Almost all of the fast cars need a long cool down after hot lapping, but the Viper will keep on ticking off times while the others are in the paddock. Unfortunately, none of the magazines or reviews seem to put any value on this.
They also seem to ignore that the ZR1s sent out against the Viper dynoed about 50 HP higher than the average ZR1. Just sayin....

[tin foil hat off]

:)

Nine Ball
01-09-2014, 01:56 AM
Is this Gen 5 Viper related? Wrong forum.

Shooter
01-09-2014, 06:25 AM
I hate the bench race here, but .08 faster or not, it did it on far inferior tires. If you keep watching they put real racing tires on the TA and it ran a 1:31. Those are slicks granted, but from what I've read, slicks are decreasing lap times about 1 second off the semi-slicks from Michelin. Sorry to burst anyone's Vette bubble, but the ZR1 would lose by a significant margin tire to tire, period.

Slicks are good for 3 seconds off of the Sport cups.

viperdan
01-09-2014, 07:09 AM
The TA comes off the line with Pirellis and steel brakes and no time to massage and beats five years of tweaking with cups and CCB's and people aren't happy with that? The Corvettes are good cars and they've had 60 years to get where they are but give the Viper the credit it deserves.

Schen
01-09-2014, 07:43 AM
If the TA didn't exist and the base SRT performed the way the TA did from the get go, it would be GM scratching their heads not us.

--RS

ViperSmith
01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
If the TA didn't exist and the base SRT performed the way the TA did from the get go, it would be GM scratching their heads not us.

--RS

I think if the GTS and SRT had Aero, they would have performed the same. In reality, there just isn't a whole lot of difference between the TA and SRT/GTS - it is really just a marketing gimmick.

A fantastic one

Nine Ball
01-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Agreed. There isn't much difference between the SRT/GTS/TA models. The aero mods should have been available from the beginning. I wanted them, but wasn't willing to wait 8 months longer to get them. The TA brakes are bigger, but that is more about dissipating heat, not improving stopping. The brakes on any Gen 3-5 are all the same, and are track proven. TA should have come with MPSC tires, IMHO. The Corsa isn't much better than the base Pirelli tire.

Viper Girl
01-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Moving thread to other rides.

VoodooRob
01-09-2014, 12:27 PM
... The TA brakes are bigger, but that is more about dissipating heat, not improving stopping... Dissipating heat should improve stopping performance. Always thought cooler, not cold, brakes stop better. Maybe I have wrong information.

slitherv10
01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
I think if the GTS and SRT had Aero, they would have performed the same. In reality, there just isn't a whole lot of difference between the TA and SRT/GTS - it is really just a marketing gimmick.

A fantastic one

EXACTLY!!

Just like the electronics world that adds small improvements to cell phones, TV's, and gadgets and tries to persuade us to buy the newest and baddest when it really is just one step up from the last, this is exactly what SRt has done here. Putting some aero refinements and subtracting some amenities for weight, they have accomplished the task, in a very cost effective way, of selling it to us as the newest and baddest. Orange to this car is like B/W was to the 96 GTS.

A great haircut can change looks dramatically. Good job SRT.

Great point there Mr. Smith

Late Apex
01-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Detroit auto show gives the new sting ray car of the year again for the performance category too.

Troublemaker
01-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Detroit auto show gives the new sting ray car of the year again for the performance category too.

They did a nice job with the car, as SRT did with the Gen5. There has been a lot of anticipation toward the new Vette, and a lot of "They still make the Viper?" The cars are both great, but 95% of the people out there only know one exists.

I don't agree that these are little tweaks that keep us keep using the newer models, that doesn't apply North of $100,000. They didnt put out a model that was meant to take the performance world by storm, it was meant to appeal to the imported leather, pretty paint job, this car drives so nice people. It didnt work, so all you have seen since the initial models is performance models, it in itself says we had to go back to the drawing board, not we had these all along we were just hoping people would buy this one with a spoiler since their first purchase didnt have it.