PDA

View Full Version : G5 vs GTR

zee
08-21-2016, 11:57 PM
Hi guys - as many of you know, I picked up an Orange TA not too long ago. As you can see from all my posts and YouTube review, I absolutely love the car. That being said, I recently found out that we are expecting our first born and excited for this next chapter of my life. I am not sure how often I will be able to drive the TA once the new guy is here. I've heard many say the back seats of the GTR can be utilized and did a search and saw pictures of car seats, storage space, etc. I am thinking of selling my TA and eventually buying a GTR since it's more versatile and wife could potentially drive it occasionally too since its auto. I have never owned an auto before and all my sports car have been 2 seaters and always a stick. I've driven a few GTRs and they seem cool, but only drove for very short periods of a time. Would love others feedback on my first wold problem ;). I can very well keep the TA but I know I just won't get to drive it a lot once the baby is here. The GTR would be a lot more driveable I'd imagine. I don't track my cars and typically only light mods (bolt ons). Will I miss the 6 speed? Will I miss all the attention the viper gets? Is it worth keeping it and just driving a lot less? I unfortunately can't afford to have both the TA and GTR. Look forward to everyone's opinions especially if you own/owned a GTR.

EDIT: The viper is not a daily, just a weekend blaster - I have a daily driver.

sadil
08-22-2016, 12:43 AM
lol

zee
08-22-2016, 12:47 AM
lol

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Sub Driver
08-22-2016, 03:16 AM
I had a GTR before my viper and you can fit a child seat behind the passenger seat as long as no one sits in the passenger seat or they are very tiny. The GTR was ok. Sure it has outstanding mod potential and huge amounts of traction but I got bored with it very quick. The DCT is not engaging to drive and the car did not feel like I was driving something special when compared to my viper. Anyways if you get one have fun.

One Viper Bite
08-22-2016, 03:47 AM
Hi guys - as many of you know, I picked up an Orange TA not too long ago. As you can see from all my posts and YouTube review, I absolutely love the car. That being said, I recently found out that we are expecting our first born and excited for this next chapter of my life. I am not sure how often I will be able to drive the TA once the new guy is here. I've heard many say the back seats of the GTR can be utilized and did a search and saw pictures of car seats, storage space, etc. I am thinking of selling my TA and eventually buying a GTR since it's more versatile and wife could potentially drive it occasionally too since its auto. I have never owned an auto before and all my sports car have been 2 seaters and always a stick. I've driven a few GTRs and they seem cool, but only drove for very short periods of a time. Would love others feedback on my first wold problem ;). I can very well keep the TA but I know I just won't get to drive it a lot once the baby is here. The GTR would be a lot more driveable I'd imagine. I don't track my cars and typically only light mods (bolt ons). Will I miss the 6 speed? Will I miss all the attention the viper gets? Is it worth keeping it and just driving a lot less? I unfortunately can't afford to have both the TA and GTR. Look forward to everyone's opinions especially if you own/owned a GTR.

Here are my notes on the GTR from when I was in the market not long ago:

1. It's loud. The interior cabin is loud. There is a ton of road noise, rattles and wind noise. The Viper is loud too but I think the sound of the Viper's engine and it's presence negates some of the cabin noise. In the GTR, because it's a quieter engine it just feels more intrusive.
2. The interior is cheap. Seriously, the interior on my G37S was nice than the GTRs. The nobs, switch, dials and layout are so dated and straight out of the Nissan parts bin.
3. Seating position makes you feel like you're sitting ON the GTR and not IN the GTR. I hated that feeling.
4. It really does drive like a video game. I got to drive one on the track and there was just no reward when driving it hard. I can't imagine how it feels after being behind the wheel of an analog car such as the Viper.

If you're looking for a practical car in this price range, I wouldn't consider the GTR after owning a Viper. I think you should consider something else such as a Gran Turismo, a Continental, or even something like a Charger Hellcat, E63 AMG or M5.

Would hate to see you go so soon so my first vote would be for you to keep the car somehow and get something cheap and practical for the family and the kid. Maybe a Chevy Volt? They have great lease deals on those right now for around 350 a month.

Anyway, congratulations to you and your lady! Hope everything works out for the best!

7TH_SIGN
08-22-2016, 04:39 AM
I test drove a GTR after selling my last Supra. It took me less than 5 minutes to realize the GTR wasn't for me. Incredibly boring to drive. Looks like any other car on the road. I'm sure a built 1000whp GTR is a blast to drive. I just can't do the automatic. If I were you I'd check the GTRlife forums. There are so many for sale and I think for good reason.

Vibert
08-22-2016, 04:49 AM
Kids are a life changer. One is easy; you'll easily have time to enjoy the TA. Two is a lot tougher but you'll have time for the TA. Level of difficulty is not additive when it comes to the number of children. It's synergistic. Three? Total ball breaker. There will no time for anything...not even crepes.

v10enomous
08-22-2016, 05:04 AM
The Hellcat Charger is your best bet. A 2 door coupe is a real pain with a baby and they have to be in the back until they're like 7 or 8 if I remember correctly. I had a 96 Plymouth Voyager when my kids were little and while they may not be "Cool" they are the most practical option. You won't be able to do a lot of things when you have a baby. You are basically doing the same thing know matter where you are.

Topplayer
08-22-2016, 05:56 AM
Going from a viper to a GTR is like going from a track day to racing simulator. Its just not as much fun, even if your going faster.

As someone who is expecting also I would never consider a GTR with a baby, Every 'performance' car is going to want to race, I would be looking at a E63 over a GTR for daily baby duty.

I am keeping my viper and just not bringing the baby in it, A baby should not be in a sports car anyway lol

swexlin
08-22-2016, 06:08 AM
The Viper is not your daily, correct? Keep it, drive less, will make it more special. Period. You'll regret selling it. If you MUST, another vote here for a Hellcat Charger. I had an 07 SRT Charger Superbee, and absolutely miss it. Fast and comfy, with plenty of room. And the Hellcat is another whole level above that.

KEEP THE VIPER!

viperdriver5150
08-22-2016, 06:16 AM

When I bought my 2013 GTS I had a legal air bag de-activation switch installed so a car seat could be safely installed in the passenger seat. If you would like to know the brand and the steps necessary to have the switch put in legally so a dealer can do it, I would be happy to provide. Now you can get the switch and do it yourself but I wanted it professionally done so I had no worries.

You basically have a little black box with a key, much like the airbag de-activation switch that came factory on the the older GTS models except that was right on the dash.

SSGNRDZ_28
08-22-2016, 06:48 AM
I have 2 children, one is 5 the other is a few months old. The reality is you probably won’t be able to drive the TA as often once the baby is born, at least for the first several months. After that it would depend on what the schedule is… will your child be going to daycare and if so will you be the one taking them and picking them up. I usually do both, at least 5 days a week I have had my daughter in my car for the last 5 years.

Are you looking to take them in the car “occasionally” or “daily”? If the answer is daily you are basically taking whatever car it is and turning it into a glorified school bus that will eventually be overrun by dirt, spills, melted crayons, food, trash…. I used to keep all of my cars in “freshly detailed” condition but just couldn’t keep up with that, not to say it couldn’t be done. Soon, the interior of your very nice GTR, Challenger, etc. could rival those of a minivan. Then imagine every time trying to stuff/extract the kid to/from the back seat. Just one consideration. And instead of driving on the weekend with your hour of free time you are cleaning out the interior of your car.

If this is for “occasional” fun / drive consider where you would be going and how much fun it would actually be to stuff all of the crap (stroller if needed would not likely fit), etc. into the car just for a ride to wherever. And if it is for occasional fun, why are you compromising your fun car for a trip here and there. And what fun is it to drive in a 600hp car with a baby and your wife because if you even use >15% throttle or take a corner faster than 10mph you will likely be told you are endangering everyone’s life.

My solution is a daily (car / SUV, whatever suits your lifestyle) with ample storage room, ease of ingress, comfortable, whatever. Then there’s the Viper. I may not get to drive it every day, or even every week, but when I do I’m glad I didn’t compromise. Maybe the Viper isn’t the fun car you want, you have to answer that for yourself, but don’t compromise the fun car you want if you can afford to because I think ultimately you’re compromising the fun and the family side of things as well, nobody really wins. Just my $0.02.

7TH_SIGN
08-22-2016, 06:58 AM
Kids are a life changer. One is easy; you'll easily have time to enjoy the TA. Two is a lot tougher but you'll have time for the TA. Level of difficulty is not additive when it comes to the number of children. It's synergistic. Three? Total ball breaker. There will no time for anything...not even crepes.

That's the truth. One was easy. Two is challenging. We are done. I hope.... Not sure what I'm going to do when they are old enough to realize that I can only fit one of them at a time in the Viper.

jkviper
08-22-2016, 07:06 AM
I never gave up my sports cars when I had kids, they were all second cars and just for fun. With crying babies at home,you will find any excuse to hop in the viper and go get some diapers.

LOL! Seriously, if you love the car I see no reason to sell because of having a baby. Plus as they get bigger they can't wait to go in the cool car with dad for a ride.

Just my 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

I never gave up my sports cars when I had kids, they were all second cars and just for fun. With crying babies at home,you will find any excuse to hop in the viper and go get some diapers.

LOL! Seriously, if you love the car I see no reason to sell because of having a baby. Plus as they get bigger they can't wait to go in the cool car with dad for a ride.

Just my 2 cents.

ViperSmith
08-22-2016, 07:10 AM
If you can afford to have the viper, don't sell it. Sold mine when my daughter was 6 months old and wanted another so bad I bought another.

We had a beater RAV4 for me to roll around in so use that to drive the now 2.5yo around town.

SharpMan
08-22-2016, 07:27 AM
GTR useless for kids. Rear facing car seat until child is 2...go ahead and try to get that back there! And when you do...nobody can sit in front. Keep the TA and get a GTI or some 4-5dr whatever you can afford to accommodate your child (and their stuff) properly. Heck, get a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 if your hair always needs to be on fire.

Also, your wife will likely want to sit in back with your baby for the first while. Not very comfortable for her in the GTR. And you'll often need a surface to change diapers on...really you need a proper family car and the GTR isn't it. Also, rides like utter shit. Worse riding vehicle I've ever driven.

dethred
08-22-2016, 07:29 AM
Put a car length on an Alpha 7 GTR yesterday by 100mph, with him taking the hit at 45mph. I know that doesn't really help when considering a baby in the car, but unless you're launching the car or dump 20k into mods, you might as well buy a sedan. Didn't you just spend about 6 months and 30 forum threads looking for a car? Haha. Do you really want your wife parking your toy next to Soccer moms that think door dings are just normal everyday abuse?

shine
08-22-2016, 07:42 AM
I have a wife and 4 kids (16, 13, 11 and 3).

Daily drivers are Charger SRT and Yukon Denali.

Viper was for weekends and when I had "me" time.

From a practical point of view, if you're dailying your TA, then yes, you need to get another car you can daily drive. There's no shame in having a Viper and a sedan, or a Viper and a minivan. Do what is right for you.

I'm assuming finances are in order already also. Formula and diapers will suck the equivalent of a car payment every month. Daycare is expensive also, unless one of you is staying home (and then you're losing that income). Kids need a whole new set of clothes every 6 months until they're about 5. Doctor visits, even when they're well. All kinds of new safety stuff from car seats to babyproof power outlets. If you can afford all that and keep the Viper, by golly, keep it!

v10enomous
08-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Don't fret... you have college and weddings to look forward to and it gets a little easier on the wallet by the time they turn 26 or so if they can actually find a job....:)

I'm assuming finances are in order already also. Formula and diapers will suck the equivalent of a car payment every month. Daycare is expensive also, unless one of you is staying home (and then you're losing that income). Kids need a whole new set of clothes every 6 months until they're about 5. Doctor visits, even when they're well. All kinds of new safety stuff from car seats to babyproof power outlets.

ViperPete
08-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Im a sales manager at a Nissan dealer. Sold a bunch of the cars.

It cannot compare to the Viper. The paint is terrible, imperfections all over the place and full of orange peel.

The back seat is defiantly not suitable for children. Might as well consider a 911 Porsche if you require that level of performance.

Have you ever considered a Jaguar or a coupe Mercedes? They have plenty of straight line performance.

A Challenger SRT would be a good consideration. Plenty of back seat room, or a Charger SRT.

Ive never been impressed with the GTR.

Keep the Viper, get a daily for the kid. They will love it when you pick them up from school in it in a few yeas ;)

SnakeWatching
08-22-2016, 08:29 AM
If you have kids and want "Fast" you should get a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Voice of Reason
08-22-2016, 08:39 AM
If I needed a backseat I'd have a GT350 over a GTR or Challenger.

zee
08-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Really do appreciate it. The TA is not a daily, just a weekend blaster. I was considering the GTR only cause I could potentially drive it more if back seats were useable. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds to use with the baby. I have an SUV for a daily and the viper is paid off. It makes more sense to keep the TA and enjoy it when I can. It just sucks to think that I can't take it around with wife and kid as we go to a lot of places(family, friends, etc) on the weekends and the highlight for me is driving a fun car to get there. Going to the in laws house is only fun because of the drive! Lol. But as others have said, I wouldn't drive it aggressive with the kid in the back. I thought about a hellcat charger, maybe I can save up and get one of those along with the viper. I'd imagine in another year or so I could pick a used one up for around $50k? Not a bad idea...

V10powerr
08-22-2016, 09:18 AM
life brings changes and a child is a blessing many take for granted but your love for cars can continue.
it will be tough to get a baby seat in and out of the gtr. imho you need a 4 door, charger, 4 door amg etc.
the gtr would work if you only used it once in a while with the baby. i sold my viper recently as i bought another car and still looking for a 4 door that i can enjoy with the family , like a charger or s63.

Ludington1
08-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Congrats! I have 4 and 6 year-olds, and have always had an old Mopar or two as my toys. Recently sold my last one and bought an 08 ACR. My daily is a Ram 1500 crew cab, which is very useful, confortable and safe, with tons of room for both car seats in the back. When the kid(s) get a little older, you can always convince your wife to let you drive your Viper separately for semi-local trips, and when you're all going somewhere together you won't miss the Viper because you'll be having a blast with your kids. I say keep the TA.

Darren

swexlin
08-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Really do appreciate it. The TA is not a daily, just a weekend blaster. I was considering the GTR only cause I could potentially drive it more if back seats were useable. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds to use with the baby. I have an SUV for a daily and the viper is paid off. It makes more sense to keep the TA and enjoy it when I can. It just sucks to think that I can't take it around with wife and kid as we go to a lot of places(family, friends, etc) on the weekends and the highlight for me is driving a fun car to get there. Going to the in laws house is only fun because of the drive! Lol. But as others have said, I wouldn't drive it aggressive with the kid in the back. I thought about a hellcat charger, maybe I can save up and get one of those along with the viper. I'd imagine in another year or so I could pick a used one up for around $50k? Not a bad idea...

Glad you came to your senses! I too want to pick up a Hellcat in a couple years in ADDITION to the Viper.

CJS
08-22-2016, 10:22 AM
One other possibility I didn't see mentioned was the Chevy SS. We love ours, the back seat is huge, and they are going in the mid $40s new. Sure it's no GTR or hellcat in a straight line but the handling is really dialed in well and they have an available 6 speed.

Terminator02
08-22-2016, 11:57 AM
If it's a weekend warrior car then I can see not much weekend driving with a new born. I'd say you could drive it more during the week possibly to and from work, ride things out and keep the viper while saving for a fun family friendly weekend car, or possibly just sell.

Given your goal of wanting a car you would drive more I just think it makes sense to drive the viper more when you don't need transportation for 3. A good alternative to the GTR is a Porsche 911 but also agree any sports car isn't good with a new born. You mentioned needing money for a new business so maybe the Stars have aligned to sell the viper now while the TA still fetch top dollar. You can always get back into the car at any point as income goes up. Maybe we will see you in an ACRE in a few years!

NT-ACR
08-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Not surprisingly, when this forum is asked about any vehicle that possibly could be considered a competitor to the Viper, the answer is always, "The Viper is the best!" I'm not sure why people even get their hopes up that they'll get a impartial answer when posting here. So, in order to maintain my street cred on this forum, I'll start by saying that if you're considering any vehicle other than a Viper then you are crazy. Now that that's out of the way, I'll give my unbiased opinion.

Unlike most of those that have responded so far, I actually have owned a GT-R, specifically a 2009 Premium that I bought new off the showroom floor. Keeping this in mind, I probably have more experience with one than they do and might be able to point out a few things.

Cons:
-The car rides rough no matter the suspension setting (the "comfort" mode does slightly lessen the impact of bumps but you would honestly have to know a road like the back of your hand to sense the difference)
-The car has quite a bit of NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness). The tires are runflats so they do produce quite a bit of noise especially at highway speeds. In addition, there is quite a bit of wind noise. Finally, the engine is turning 2,500rpm at 70mph in 6th gear so you do get a bit of engine noise. As for drivetrain noise, specifically the infamous transmission noises, they are pronounced and you will hear them. In fact, you will think there is an issue at first. Over time though, you learn to live with it and hearing the different gears actually select I guess could be amusing for some.
-The exhaust note is a mixed bag. Some describe it as a vacuum cleaner but I like to compare it to a jet taking off. Basically a big whoosh.
-Roof height- I'm 6'5'' and my hair would brush the headliner.
-Stoplight takeoff- Taking off from a stoplight was a bit odd and frustrating. It seemed you could do it fast and buck or slow and probably be smooth. The best method seemed to be feeding in the power slowly and in a constant manner.
-Steering- The steering is well weighted but the feel is lacking.

Pros:
-Excellent front seats. While the NVH and suspension could prove tiring on long trips, I never had any issues with the seats and this is coming from an individual who has struggled with back pain throughout his life. Great mix of adequate bolstering without pinching.
-Cavernous trunk. Probably one of the most overlooked aspects of this vehicle.
-Information available. You can quite literally bring up almost any gauge reading that you want and can configure the multiple screens to display what you find most helpful. I loved the ability to see my transmission and engine oil temperatures so I knew precisely when I could start using the entire rpm range.
-Reliability. I bought mine new and put 10,000 miles on it and never had one issue. These early cars did suffer from gearboxs going boom but from what I remember, it was pretty hit or miss. Either way, Nissan was great about replacing them with the newest gearbox available (i.e. if your gearbox went pop during the 2015 model year, then your 2009 model would receive a 2015 model's gearbox and all the improvements that that entails).
-Ability to see out of it. The C-pillar is the only slightly bothersome blindspot but can easily be adjusted to.
-Interior space. The front area will never feel cramped. As for the backseat, it should be fine for a babyseat but accessing it will be a bit tricky.
-AWD. This system is absolutely amazing as it contributes not only to performance but also enhances the usability in multiple weather conditions.

Note- These pros and cons are just general. They are not comparisons to any other vehicle.

My advice would be to purchase the latest model possible, as Nissan was constantly tweaking and improving aspects of the vehicle. Some people actually love the 2009 models because they were so raw and unrefined but you and the family would probably benefit from a later model. That said, if you did consider an early model, there are a few things you can do to make it more livable:

1. Change from runflats to a traditional tire (most like Michelin's Pilot Super Sport). It will reduce the road noise by quite a bit.
2. Install a Litchfield Performance Suspension Kit. It retains use of the factory suspension button and it's three modes but supposedly does improve the ride quite a bit without taking away the dynamic abilities of the vehicle.
3. Install sound deadening especially in the trunk. Fairly self explanatory.

If I were in your position, I would keep the TA. You've paid it off and you already have an SUV for the whole family. The TA is a better sounding, more involving, and (in my option) better looking vehicle. The GT-R is a terrific vehicle but as your only "fun car" I don't believe it would excite you as much as the TA.

I hope this is helpful if for no other reason than I'm brand neutral and would have no problem telling you to buy something other than a Viper if I truly thought you and the family would enjoy it more.

P.S.- In case you're wondering why I sold it, it's because I usually only keep cars 4-6 months (in fact, the only car I've kept over 6 years recently were my 2 Ford GTs) and then move to something new. It had nothing to do with the car itself.

Brian GTS
08-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Congrats! I would keep your TA for a while longer. I actually drove my Viper MORE when we started having kids....lots of solo trips to the store for the wife to pick up supplies....and lots of takeout meals! If you still have the desire to sell, I would consider a Charger Hellcat.

zee
08-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Not surprisingly, when this forum is asked about any vehicle that possibly could be considered a competitor to the Viper, the answer is always, "The Viper is the best!" I'm not sure why people even get their hopes up that they'll get a impartial answer when posting here. So, in order to maintain my street cred on this forum, I'll start by saying that if you're considering any vehicle other than a Viper then you are crazy. Now that that's out of the way, I'll give my unbiased opinion.

Unlike most of those that have responded so far, I actually have owned a GT-R, specifically a 2009 Premium that I bought new off the showroom floor. Keeping this in mind, I probably have more experience with one than they do and might be able to point out a few things.

Cons:
-The car rides rough no matter the suspension setting (the "comfort" mode does slightly lessen the impact of bumps but you would honestly have to know a road like the back of your hand to sense the difference)
-The car has quite a bit of NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness). The tires are runflats so they do produce quite a bit of noise especially at highway speeds. In addition, there is quite a bit of wind noise. Finally, the engine is turning 2,500rpm at 70mph in 6th gear so you do get a bit of engine noise. As for drivetrain noise, specifically the infamous transmission noises, they are pronounced and you will hear them. In fact, you will think there is an issue at first. Over time though, you learn to live with it and hearing the different gears actually select I guess could be amusing for some.
-The exhaust note is a mixed bag. Some describe it as a vacuum cleaner but I like to compare it to a jet taking off. Basically a big whoosh.
-Roof height- I'm 6'5'' and my hair would brush the headliner.
-Stoplight takeoff- Taking off from a stoplight was a bit odd and frustrating. It seemed you could do it fast and buck or slow and probably be smooth. The best method seemed to be feeding in the power slowly and in a constant manner.
-Steering- The steering is well weighted but the feel is lacking.

Pros:
-Excellent front seats. While the NVH and suspension could prove tiring on long trips, I never had any issues with the seats and this is coming from an individual who has struggled with back pain throughout his life. Great mix of adequate bolstering without pinching.
-Cavernous trunk. Probably one of the most overlooked aspects of this vehicle.
-Information available. You can quite literally bring up almost any gauge reading that you want and can configure the multiple screens to display what you find most helpful. I loved the ability to see my transmission and engine oil temperatures so I knew precisely when I could start using the entire rpm range.
-Reliability. I bought mine new and put 10,000 miles on it and never had one issue. These early cars did suffer from gearboxs going boom but from what I remember, it was pretty hit or miss. Either way, Nissan was great about replacing them with the newest gearbox available (i.e. if your gearbox went pop during the 2015 model year, then your 2009 model would receive a 2015 model's gearbox and all the improvements that that entails).
-Ability to see out of it. The C-pillar is the only slightly bothersome blindspot but can easily be adjusted to.
-Interior space. The front area will never feel cramped. As for the backseat, it should be fine for a babyseat but accessing it will be a bit tricky.
-AWD. This system is absolutely amazing as it contributes not only to performance but also enhances the usability in multiple weather conditions.

Note- These pros and cons are just general. They are not comparisons to any other vehicle.

My advice would be to purchase the latest model possible, as Nissan was constantly tweaking and improving aspects of the vehicle. Some people actually love the 2009 models because they were so raw and unrefined but you and the family would probably benefit from a later model. That said, if you did consider an early model, there are a few things you can do to make it more livable:

1. Change from runflats to a traditional tire (most like Michelin's Pilot Super Sport). It will reduce the road noise by quite a bit.
2. Install a Litchfield Performance Suspension Kit. It retains use of the factory suspension button and it's three modes but supposedly does improve the ride quite a bit without taking away the dynamic abilities of the vehicle.
3. Install sound deadening especially in the trunk. Fairly self explanatory.

If I were in your position, I would keep the TA. You've paid it off and you already have an SUV for the whole family. The TA is a better sounding, more involving, and (in my option) better looking vehicle. The GT-R is a terrific vehicle but as your only "fun car" I don't believe it would excite you as much as the TA.

I hope this is helpful if for no other reason than I'm brand neutral and would have no problem telling you to buy something other than a Viper if I truly thought you and the family would enjoy it more.

P.S.- In case you're wondering why I sold it, it's because I usually only keep cars 4-6 months (in fact, the only car I've kept over 6 years recently were my 2 Ford GTs) and then move to something new. It had nothing to do with the car itself.

Aweome review, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! I would keep your TA for a while longer. I actually drove my Viper MORE when we started having kids....lots of solo trips to the store for the wife to pick up supplies....and lots of takeout meals! If you still have the desire to sell, I would consider a Charger Hellcat.

Great point!! I already started getting things for wife's cravings. Short trips but always take the long way lol.

zee
08-22-2016, 12:35 PM

Great points!! Can always take the long way right??

zee
08-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Again, awesome feedback. I got some time to think about it more and I'll just enjoy it for now. Let's see how things play out.

Murpowa
08-22-2016, 12:47 PM
To NT-ACR, this IS a viper forum after all

To Zee, keep the TA, sell the SUV, buy a four door CTS-V. Drives to inlaw's are fun once again.

The_Ruski_Driver
08-22-2016, 12:57 PM
My opinion is to have 3 cars. Keep the TA for YOUR time, a econobox for the family day to day use (10-15k) , and a pretty cool sedan that is used for special trips, such as a CTS-V or Chevy SS (30-40k).

repiV
08-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Once the divorce is final you can use the Viper to go pick up the little one on your visitation days. There are some child car seats that fit nicely in the Viper passenger seat.

NT-ACR
08-22-2016, 01:08 PM
To NT-ACR, this IS a viper forum after all

To Zee, keep the TA, sell the SUV, buy a four door CTS-V. Drives to inlaw's are fun once again.

I'm well aware but the homerism sometimes exhibited on this site can be downright mind-blowing.

NT-ACR
08-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Once the divorce is final you can use the Viper to go pick up the little one on your visitation days. There are some child car seats that fit nicely in the Viper passenger seat.

I know you're attempting to be funny but divorce is not a laughing matter. The impact on your life and that of your children is unbelievable.

Try to be more tactful in the future.

Ninjakris
08-22-2016, 01:43 PM
My boy just turned 2 last Saturday. He has been riding in vipers with me since he was 3 weeks old.

Pro's
-The seat has a sensor that will turn off the passenger side air bag, so no worries there.
-A rear facing seat fits fine.
-A umbrella style stroller fits in the trunk.
-The trunk also works great to change their diapers since they can't really roll around when you place them in there.
-Cup holders are in a good location for bottles or sippy cups.
-The kid can see you while your driving, my son loves that.
-You can reach them and scoop anything out of their hands or mouth while driving.

Cons:
-You have to use the seat belt to secure the baby seat, no latch system (at least that I could find). It does have a rear hook for the forward facing seats.
-Only 2 of you can ride in it. No room for mama

The best part of having the viper with my son is the bonding we have had. I didn't see that one coming. I honestly don't know if I could ever sell this car. From rolling into C&C with people taking pictures of him in the viper to seeing him passed out next to me even with all that noise, its been great. He goes to the garage and pretends to drive the viper, and even knows where the push button start is. Its great.

At the end of the day, you have to do whatever is best for your family. Congrats on becoming a dad, and sleep now, because you won't be once the baby is born.

repiV
08-22-2016, 01:54 PM
I know you're attempting to be funny but divorce is not a laughing matter. The impact on your life and that of your children is unbelievable.

Try to be more tactful in the future.

JEEZ!! Lighten up dude! I guess if you don't use a smiley face people aren't smart enough to figure out your kidding. Been though the divorce thing so I know all about it but I can still joke about it.

Seriously though the little ones love the Viper. And since it's going to be your weekend car anyway why not have the best weekend car you can have?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/dlr1234/Viper/4A799DF4-6E51-4537-A02C-3171027F7761.jpg (http://s129.photobucket.com/user/dlr1234/media/Viper/4A799DF4-6E51-4537-A02C-3171027F7761.jpg.html)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/dlr1234/Viper/C02DF12E-46E9-4DF7-BA15-0664E84FBBEE.jpg (http://s129.photobucket.com/user/dlr1234/media/Viper/C02DF12E-46E9-4DF7-BA15-0664E84FBBEE.jpg.html)

zee
08-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Selling my SUV and getting another daily is not an option since it's a company car. As many have said, I can get a fun sedan like a charger hellcat/M5 and keep the TA too. I would have 4 cars then...wife's Porsche Cayenne, my company car, the TA, and a fun sedan....hmmmm...need to convince wife to sell cayenne and maybe get a M5 - don't think she will go for the hellcat lol

serpent
08-22-2016, 03:15 PM
There was an Orange Charger Hellcat with gold gas monkey rims driving around town. Holy cow did it sound bad ass, was stock too I believe.
Probably as quick as a viper from a roll. 4 door sedan with 707hp. Whats not to love?

Next Phase
08-22-2016, 03:22 PM
If I needed a backseat I'd have a GT350 over a GTR or Challenger.

The back seats in a GT350 and GTR don't compare to the back seats of a Challenger. I have a rear facing baby seat in my Hellcat and my wife or another adult can fit up front no problem. Can't say the same for the others...

I'd keep the Viper... Once the baby is here, you'll see how much the car is used and you can sell it down the road. Enjoy it and congrats on the new addition!

Congrats! I have 4 and 6 year-olds, and have always had an old Mopar or two as my toys. Recently sold my last one and bought an 08 ACR. My daily is a Ram 1500 crew cab, which is very useful, confortable and safe, with tons of room for both car seats in the back. When the kid(s) get a little older, you can always convince your wife to let you drive your Viper separately for semi-local trips, and when you're all going somewhere together you won't miss the Viper because you'll be having a blast with your kids. I say keep the TA.

Darren

Agree with this... keep the Viper.

TrackAire
08-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Very easy answer......keep the TA and buy a nice quality used (if money is tight, otherwise buy new) SUV or mini van to haul the kids and family. Do you really want to have a baby in your "baby"?....you do know they spill food, upchuck, vomit, explosive shits, drop their milk bottles and spill their sippy cups?......and eventually you'll have to use the Vipers rear hatch area as a changing table....not desirable.

The first time your wife tries to strap the little bugger into the back of the GTR will also be the last time....very tight and hard to get back there to put the baby carrier in and belt them in. Even a Challenger will be a pain in the ass. Get something with four doors, a shitload of safety features and air bags and lots of room. Trust me, I've been through all of this.

Keep the Viper as a weekend get away toy that both you and your wife can enjoy together while the babysitter watches the baby for a few hours to give the mommy break and you a reason to drive your car.

Congrats on the new baby!!

Terminator02
08-22-2016, 04:32 PM

To think you almost bought a 2013 Launch Edition to go with your TA just a few months ago too. If sticking with the Mopar family then a hellcat charger or SRT grand Cherokee are much cheaper and family friendly options. I'd look at a 911, BMW m series, or other 4 seat fast coupes/sedans. The work suv sounds more like a regular daily. Have you considered like a big luxo suv or are you set on performance? I have all the performance I want in the viper so having a Mercedes G Wagon or other luxury SUV is more attractive to me than performance cars or trucks. Tons of options to have while keeping your TA. Nothing wrong with driving it less as you will look forward to it more. Another option since you cycle cars often would be to not invest in other daily drivers but keep your daily, get rid of the TA and get a used lambo huracan. It's definitely a car that the wife can drive and you both would be chomping at the bit for date night and who would get to drive her.

zee
08-22-2016, 04:38 PM
To think you almost bought a 2013 Launch Edition to go with your TA just a few months ago too. If sticking with the Mopar family then a hellcat charger or SRT grand Cherokee are much cheaper and family friendly options. I'd look at a 911, BMW m series, or other 4 seat fast coupes/sedans. The work suv sounds more like a regular daily. Have you considered like a big luxo suv or are you set on performance? I have all the performance I want in the viper so having a Mercedes G Wagon or other luxury SUV is more attractive to me than performance cars or trucks. Tons of options to have while keeping your TA. Nothing wrong with driving it less as you will look forward to it more. Another option since you cycle cars often would be to not invest in other daily drivers but keep your daily, get rid of the TA and get a used lambo huracan. It's definitely a car that the wife can drive and you both would be chomping at the bit for date night and who would get to drive her.

Lol - a huracan would be out of the question right now but love the thought. I'm glad I didn't get the LE...it was my friends and that was the only reason I was considering it. Wouldn't have been a big deal as I could have sold it even if I bought it. My biggest thing is I wanna enjoy what I drive. I can't do it for work since I have a company car and need that daily. So I look forward to driving the TA on weekends. I know for a fact it will be A LOT less once baby is here :(

swexlin
08-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Even if it's less, that makes it better. I've driven my car TWICE (a total of less than 100 miles) since 7/15. Just haven't had the time. That makes looking forward to going for a drive even better.

Junkie
08-22-2016, 04:43 PM
I've owned both back to back, I absolutely hated my GTR.

-tons of driveline noise
-notchiness during turning
-rattle trap
-incredibly boring to drive

Honestly after driving it for 20 minutes I realized buying it was a huge mistake. I'm also a big fan of RWD "fun" cars, when something has autopilot like features it just doesn't excite me in the least.

Larryskillzs
08-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Vipers and babies are A OK.

The first weekend we had our Viper, my wife strapped our 6 month old in the passenger seat of the Viper with a car and air bag turned off. (Make sure you buckle the seatbelt in!!) and I followed her to a C&C in my S2000.

It was awesome. On Friday's, I'll sometimes pick up my daughter in the Snake from daycare. She loves it!

Life does not end when a baby comes along.

I've known a few GT-R owners that have sold them usually after 18 months of ownership. Whenever I would ask them about the car during and after ownership, it's a lukewarm response at best when they describe the car.

I would never consider owning a GT-R, so my bias is pretty bad. It's a look only a mother can love. The car is a very numb feeling experience, which is the complete opposite of everything the Viper is.

ek1
08-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Selling my SUV and getting another daily is not an option since it's a company car. As many have said, I can get a fun sedan like a charger hellcat/M5 and keep the TA too. I would have 4 cars then...wife's Porsche Cayenne, my company car, the TA, and a fun sedan....hmmmm...need to convince wife to sell cayenne and maybe get a M5 - don't think she will go for the hellcat lol

A friend of mine had a similar dilemma. He ended up selling the wife.

SharpMan
08-22-2016, 08:25 PM
A friend of mine had a similar dilemma. He ended up selling the wife.

Selling wife? More like buying a divorce.

viperdriver5150
08-23-2016, 06:30 AM
My boy just turned 2 last Saturday. He has been riding in vipers with me since he was 3 weeks old.

Pro's
-The seat has a sensor that will turn off the passenger side air bag, so no worries there.
-A rear facing seat fits fine.
-A umbrella style stroller fits in the trunk.
-The trunk also works great to change their diapers since they can't really roll around when you place them in there.
-Cup holders are in a good location for bottles or sippy cups.
-The kid can see you while your driving, my son loves that.
-You can reach them and scoop anything out of their hands or mouth while driving.

Cons:
-You have to use the seat belt to secure the baby seat, no latch system (at least that I could find). It does have a rear hook for the forward facing seats.
-Only 2 of you can ride in it. No room for mama

The best part of having the viper with my son is the bonding we have had. I didn't see that one coming. I honestly don't know if I could ever sell this car. From rolling into C&C with people taking pictures of him in the viper to seeing him passed out next to me even with all that noise, its been great. He goes to the garage and pretends to drive the viper, and even knows where the push button start is. Its great.

At the end of the day, you have to do whatever is best for your family. Congrats on becoming a dad, and sleep now, because you won't be once the baby is born.

I just wanted to chime in and tell you relying on the switch in the seat when using a car seat is completely unsafe and not to mention putting your child in grave danger if something were to happen.

The only way it would be considered safe is with an actual de-activation switch installed on the seat. NEVER EVER put a car seat in the front seat REAR FACING relying on the seat switch.

From the safety experts "Never place a baby in a rear-facing seat in the front seat of a car with an active air bag. The seat positions their head so close to the dash that they're directly in the air bag's line of fire."

You simply cannot rely on the air bag detection switch, period.

Nine Ball
08-23-2016, 10:28 AM
I remember when my son was born, everyone told me that I'd be selling my sports car. Nope. I actually added a stroker engine to it and made it faster. That is why we have daily drivers, period.

v10enomous
08-23-2016, 10:44 AM
I hear this a lot about GTR's.

Maybe I'm biased but driving a Viper is just so engaging and rewarding. There is nothing better that the growl of that massive NA V10 on acceleration except maybe of course the howl on the down shifts. :dude3:

I've owned both back to back, I absolutely hated my GTR.

-tons of driveline noise
-notchiness during turning
-rattle trap
-incredibly boring to drive

Honestly after driving it for 20 minutes I realized buying it was a huge mistake. I'm also a big fan of RWD "fun" cars, when something has autopilot like features it just doesn't excite me in the least.

Viper Girl
08-23-2016, 10:58 AM
I was really surprised recent;y driving a '15 GTR how noisy it is... the transmission sounds like a bunch of rocks tumbling inside the housing... This '15 had a nice interior which was an upgrade I think. We took it to the Drags at Fomoso, and it fun at the track, but not nearly as comfortable on the ride home as the Hellcat Challenger we also took that day. This GTR was putting down about 700 WHP...

Congrats on keeping the TA, but one car no one has mentioned is the Caddy CTS-V. They are very comfy, and get up and move too... Or isn't the CTS-V what it used to be? Just curious

Murpowa
08-23-2016, 11:02 AM
CTS-V has been mentioned two or three times in this thread... :confused:

Viper Girl
08-23-2016, 11:09 AM
CTS-V has been mentioned two or three times in this thread... :confused:
I must need more coffee then... LOL I didn't see them mentioned