PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Viper Exchange / Riley - GTD Class win today!

Lizzardking308
08-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Way to go guys!!

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/corvette-sneaks-through-for-gtlm-win-at-road-america/

Augdog1964
08-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Sell me that Viper when it retires! LOVE that car!

allans
08-07-2016, 08:26 PM
^^^ It's retiring at the end of the year. No more Riley/Viper Program. Sad.

Simms
08-08-2016, 06:49 AM
^^^ It's retiring at the end of the year. No more Riley/Viper Program. Sad.

Very sad... Is the GT3R still eligible for World Challenge next year, or out of date there too?

Lizzardking308
08-08-2016, 05:57 PM
I'm shocked at the lack of responses here. Did I put this in the wrong forum or we really this apathetic to a Viper winning a race? Sure it's not a world championship but a win is still a win, and as Ben said after he race, this was for the Viper Nation. Isn't that us? What am I missing?

thetalonguy
08-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Congrats Team Viper Exchange / Riley Motorsports!!! Looks like they are in 3rd place in season's points.

I'm going to be very sad when they're not around next season. I'm not sure I can watch with no Viper in the race and with all the focus being put on the FGT's and Corvettes (even though these guys are GTLM).

Chorps
08-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Great job on the win....I don't think as many people check out this subforum, maybe that's why there aren't as many replies as you'd think.

Exhlr8n
08-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Congrats to all those involved that made this possible..!

Slithr
08-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Congrats Team ViperExchange, looking forward to seeing them do it again at COTA mid September

PAVenomRT/10
08-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Glad to see the class win for the Viper from Riley Motorsports. The expense to run a car in this series has got to be enormous and tough to do without factory support.
PAVenomRT/10

Slithr
08-09-2016, 04:13 PM
I'll ask Ben why it's the last year, I thought it was an IMSA issue vs budget?

Simms
08-09-2016, 04:32 PM

In addition to what you have stated, it may be the current car not meeting next years specs too. But I hope I'm wrong, Riley built an incredible race car.

ViperTony
08-09-2016, 04:56 PM

When Ben spoke with us at Lime Rock last month he was exacerbated with IMSA on the restrictions being placed on Viper though he didn't mention this being the last year...but he was pissed aplenty. Prior to Lime Rock, they added more restriction to the throttle bodies, it was insane. The more they try to restrict his Viper so that other makes are more competitive at top speed (Viper has a faster top speed) they're hobbling the Viper and making it less competitive everywhere else. It's just a shitty situation. How can Ben and his team stay competitive when IMSA won't let them? If this is Ben's last season, I'm certain it's not a budget issue, it's an IMSA issue but only Ben knows.

RedTanRT/10
08-09-2016, 06:19 PM
I'm shocked at the lack of responses here. Did I put this in the wrong forum or we really this apathetic to a Viper winning a race? Sure it's not a world championship but a win is still a win, and as Ben said after he race, this was for the Viper Nation. Isn't that us? What am I missing?

In looking at the vast majority of posts lately it seems like the board is preoccupied with oiling issues with some meeting with their priest and/or attorney for help!

I watched the entire race, great for Ben!! But I do wish he was running in the LM class.

Sell me that Viper when it retires! LOVE that car!

Why wait, grab this one today. You can wrap it just like Ben's

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/67277/2014-viper-gt3-r

1ststrike
08-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Congrats on the win!!!

str5010
08-10-2016, 05:57 AM
I haven't missed more than a few minutes of the Viper in IMSA competition since they returned in 2012/2013. I don't post about it on here all that much because, as others have mentioned, the bulk of the content on the board lately seems to be focused on alleged gen V issues or cars and coffee type events.

I'm an obsessed Viper race fan and would love to talk about it at length with anyone!

The reason this is the last year for the GTS-R/GT3-R program is that its FIA/ACO homologation expires after this season. Without a street variant continuing in production I don't believe Riley could have the car homologated without a waiver (Ford got a waiver for the GT) not that they would want to anyway considering it's a 4-5 year old platform which is old in racecar world. I imagine the cost to go through the process with the ACO would be huge along with the IMSA required advertising buy in cost that Viper Exchange had to come up with for this season. All that work only to be stuck in the mess that is balance of performance with a small voice being basically the only one in a Viper consistently. I can't see how that would sound appetizing even for a group with the passion of Viper Exchange.

I'm just thankful for the team for running the car and carrying the flag for all of us! Luckily I was able to see a few races in person and thank them.

Despite asking as many people in the industry as I can, one thing I haven't found a solid answer for - why didn't the GT3-R customer platform take off?

str5010
08-10-2016, 06:04 AM
In looking at the vast majority of posts lately it seems like the board is preoccupied with oiling issues with some meeting with their priest and/or attorney for help!

I watched the entire race, great for Ben!! But I do wish he was running in the LM class.

Why wait, grab this one today. You can wrap it just like Ben's

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/67277/2014-viper-gt3-r

This car has already been sold to McCann Racing and is running in the Pirelli World Challenge in a white/black livery I believe.

RedTanRT/10
08-10-2016, 09:28 AM
This car has already been sold to McCann Racing and is running in the Pirelli World Challenge in a white/black livery I believe.

str5010, thanks, wasn't sure if this became the McCann car. PWC was also on TV this past weekend. McCann has the absolute worse luck!! He hasn't made it to the first turn in the last two race due to wrecks.

As to your question of why there aren't more GT3-R customer cars, I've got to believe its a concern with future support. the cost for a Porsche is about the same and they have decades of proven support. The best bet for more dodge products in road racing would be trans am with a challenger. I would think dodge would be receptive to factory support w/challengers since they can use that series to showcase and sell cars.

Slithr
08-10-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm just thankful for the team for running the car and carrying the flag for all of us! Luckily I was able to see a few races in person and thank them.

^^ This, and thanks srt5010 for the detailed explanation. It'd be more fun to watch a Viper in a series where it can really stretch it's legs anyway, but has been fun. Given the BOP restrictions, they've still be able to find a way to kick butt often :D

XSnake
08-10-2016, 10:36 AM
str5010, thanks, wasn't sure if this became the McCann car. PWC was also on TV this past weekend. McCann has the absolute worse luck!! He hasn't made it to the first turn in the last two race due to wrecks.

As to your question of why there aren't more GT3-R customer cars, I've got to believe its a concern with future support. the cost for a Porsche is about the same and they have decades of proven support. The best bet for more dodge products in road racing would be trans am with a challenger. I would think dodge would be receptive to factory support w/challengers since they can use that series to showcase and sell cars.

Riley isn't going anywhere and they are the ones that support the GT3-Rs if the customer requests

str5010
08-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Riley isn't going anywhere and they are the ones that support the GT3-Rs if the customer requests

Yeah I just don't understand it considering Riley's reputation as a successful team. One thing I hadn't realized until speaking with team members was the freedom they offer the customer in terms of tailored support compared to Porsche which is extremely regimented in terms of maintenance schedules, configuration, etc. The car has been successful in ever series it has entered and the upfront price point is competitive if the numbers I have seen are accurate across all makes of GT3 platforms.

RedTanRT/10
08-10-2016, 03:50 PM

XSanke, no argument from me on Riley's support, nor with Roush or Oreca who supported the comp coupe program. The missing link is factory/financial support.

Stealth
08-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Awesome job Viper Exchange! I have seen all of the races and it sure makes me proud to see the efforts of VE, SRT and Riley rewarded. As much as I do not like BOP adjustments among the different cars, without them certain cars, including the Vipers, would just decimate the others, especially the Porsches. So, some BOP is required. LeMans this year was ruined by shameless, pandering BOP, but we still need some.

Sad to see the Viper go away (or hibernate for a cycle), but I am very glad that I have one! It is really the value of the century with all of the tech, specs, power, design, soul, etc.

Lizzardking308
08-10-2016, 07:13 PM
I'm glad to have prompted some discussion here. I agree that it seems like the majority of the discussion is doom and gloom around here. Sure it's in the back of my mind that my Gen V might have an issue, but it's still under warranty. I love my Gen III the same and it hasn't had a warranty for years. For me it's owning my dream car, not about being king of the road or doing fast lap times. Its about pushing that red button and feeling like a kid in a candy store on Christmas morning. It's a shame that there isn't more focus on what the VE/Riley team has done the last few years. If we aren't all rejoicing at the victory then who is? After all, aren't we who Ben referred to as Viper Nation?

ViperTony
08-10-2016, 07:23 PM
I'm glad to have prompted some discussion here. I agree that it seems like the majority of the discussion is doom and gloom around here. Sure it's in the back of my mind that my Gen V might have an issue, but it's still under warranty. I love my Gen III the same and it hasn't had a warranty for years. For me it's owning my dream car, not about being king of the road or doing fast lap times. Its about pushing that red button and feeling like a kid in a candy store on Christmas morning. It's a shame that there isn't more focus on what the VE/Riley team has done the last few years. If we aren't all rejoicing at the victory then who is? After all, aren't we who Ben referred to as Viper Nation?

You did great. :dude3: