PDA

View Full Version : 18" solution for all you ACR guys!

Antonio@CalvoMotorsports
08-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Our good friends at Finnspeed asked to borrow the shop ACR to do some testing and the results seem to be great! We will release pricing and some more pictures of the bling bling we are putting on shop car very soon! 335/30/18 up front!!

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l355/Antonio_Calvo/IMG_1327_zpsjyvf9kcj.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Antonio_Calvo/media/IMG_1327_zpsjyvf9kcj.jpg.html)

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l355/Antonio_Calvo/IMG_1328_zpsorgsndp3.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Antonio_Calvo/media/IMG_1328_zpsorgsndp3.jpg.html)

Space Truckin
08-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Looks Sweet! Love the option :witless:

ACRucrazy
08-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Nice!

GTSilver
08-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Looks great but i'm more interested in the 335 in front and how they act on track if there are any issues i.e. abs, esp, rubbing etc

TwinVipers
08-02-2016, 03:31 PM
How many shop vipers do you have? This is the 3rd one I've seen!

Antonio@CalvoMotorsports
08-02-2016, 03:38 PM
How many shop vipers do you have? This is the 3rd one I've seen!

Orange car, ACR, TT gts, black 1500hp supra (former old school) and soon this 997 turbo we are building :)

XSnake
08-02-2016, 04:57 PM
what's the caliper to wheel barrel clearance?

Junkie
08-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Yup, Imma need a set of these in 18" all around.

Pappy
08-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Our good friends at Finnspeed asked to borrow the shop ACR to do some testing and the results seem to be great! We will release pricing and some more pictures of the bling bling we are putting on shop car very soon! 335/30/18 up front!!

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l355/Antonio_Calvo/IMG_1327_zpsjyvf9kcj.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Antonio_Calvo/media/IMG_1327_zpsjyvf9kcj.jpg.html)

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l355/Antonio_Calvo/IMG_1328_zpsorgsndp3.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Antonio_Calvo/media/IMG_1328_zpsorgsndp3.jpg.html)

Did the car make it to COTA for a test session?

Pappy

Antonio@CalvoMotorsports
08-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Did the car make it to COTA for a test session?

Pappy

No but I will be out there next edge addicts session.

Arizona Vipers
08-03-2016, 01:03 AM
No but I will be out there next edge addicts session.

When is this?

ViperPete
08-03-2016, 07:50 AM
holy crap, 335 in front!? Would like a hood open top down shot please!

AM.MSCL
08-03-2016, 08:33 AM
I believe the next Edge Addicts session is in Oct, 2016.

XSnake
08-03-2016, 09:13 AM
holy crap, 335 in front!? Would like a hood open top down shot please!

I ran 335 square on my Gen2. no issues.

jpgunn123
08-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Here are some pics of my 335s on the 18X12 Finspeeds.

allans
08-03-2016, 09:48 PM
^^^^ Please let us know how these work out. Thanks, Allan

Dman
08-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Holy steam roller, batman. Impressive.

Darius
08-03-2016, 10:37 PM

Impressive!

ek1
09-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Is anyone actually running these on a track for a while? PLEASE post your results/impressions. Need info for a track event in 3 weeks.

VENOM V
09-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Finspeed makes a special 18" wheel for a Porsche race team that I know, the barrel is custom in that it has extra clearance with the caliper (they have the same problem as we do with clearance). I'm not comfortable with the typical .06" clearance of other 18s with the caliper. My friend has seen a wheel come apart at the track because of grooving from rocks due to insufficient clearance between caliper and wheel.

Does this wheel have this special barrel style? What is the clearance to the caliper?

parabs
09-21-2016, 10:00 AM

It looks like there is significant spacing between the caliper and the barrel!

ek1
09-21-2016, 10:37 AM
It looks like there is significant spacing between the caliper and the barrel!

Where do you see significant spacing? When I look at the spot adjacent to the valve stem, there is probably .25" of space between the edge of the caliper and the rotor. I think the black hole you are seeing beyond the lip is actual the inner surface of the rim, but it does not reflect any light, so it looks invisible.

Space Truckin
09-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Where do you see significant spacing? When I look at the spot adjacent to the valve stem, there is probably .25" of space between the edge of the caliper and the rotor. I think the black hole you are seeing beyond the lip is actual the inner surface of the rim, but it does not reflect any light, so it looks invisible.

I was thinking same, I believe you need a picture from back side to really see clearance....JM2C

Gary Javo
09-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Interested in updates.

speedtactics
09-22-2016, 10:42 AM
335? does the car actually turn?

bluesrt
09-22-2016, 10:46 AM

what size in the rear? 18 or 19 ? tire size?

jpgunn123
09-22-2016, 04:59 PM
I was thinking same, I believe you need a picture from back side to really see clearance....JM2C

Here is a picture from behind. I have run the wheels now at many AutoX events and driven extensively on street.

jpgunn123
09-22-2016, 05:01 PM
335? does the car actually turn?

Car turns fine -- Lock to lock with no issues. People have been running 335s up front on Vipers for years.

JonB ~ PartsRack
09-22-2016, 05:35 PM
CCW for years made a "Bigfoot Package" for Vipers, 12" wheels in front and 335 tires on em. Fact

315s are ZERO problem up front.... the caliper-to-barrel clearance on these and Forgelines is bare-minimum, You GOTTA keep the inner barrels add calipers clean of marbles and other pick-up. If you go off-course, Any small stone trapped in there can score the barel deeply and crack a wheel quite quickly after when you hit FIA curbs or potholes.

VENOM V
09-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Here is a picture from behind. I have run the wheels now at many AutoX events and driven extensively on street.

That's helpful, but what we really need is a measurement of the gap. Can you do that?

Thanks

VENOM V
09-22-2016, 05:45 PM
CCW for years made a "Bigfoot Package" for Vipers, 12" wheels in front and 335 tires on em. Fact

315s are ZERO problem up front.... the caliper-to-barrel clearance on these and Forgelines is bare-minimum, You GOTTA keep the inner barrels add calipers clean of marbles and other pick-up. If you go off-course, Any small stone trapped in there can score the barel deeply and crack a wheel quite quickly after when you hit FIA curbs or potholes.

Agreed, and the hard part is keeping them clean of marbles. I have scoring in my OEM ACR wheels and I've never been off track, so do a number of other guys I know. It just picks them up on track and they get stuck in the gap from time to time. So I would think that reducing that clearance could be sketchy.

allans
09-22-2016, 08:42 PM
How about: Smaller clearance should keep rubbish out and what gets caught should do less damage ???

jpgunn123
09-22-2016, 10:45 PM
How about: Smaller clearance should keep rubbish out and what gets caught should do less damage ???

I do find that when I have some rubber caught on the edge of the caliper, it helps act like a squeegee and prevents rocks from getting stuck in there.

I would not recommend going with an 18" wheel if you are going to Off road a lot and pick up all sorts of gravel. Even on my 19" factory wheels I get rocks scoring the barrel just driving around on the street. I would run the 18s only when you are going to a track and want to go faster and have better tire wear than the Kumo.

A perfectly good alternative is to run the 295/30/19 Hoosier (I spoke to Jeff Spier and told him there is a need for a 305/25/19 or 295/25/19 -- email him as well jaspeer@hoosiertire.com). It would be really cool if Hoosier made a 325/25/19 (25.5" diameter), as the Viper can easily handle a 19X12 in the front if there was a tire for it...

Or maybe try running the 305/30/19 Bridgestone RE71R?

ViperGeorge
09-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Will those wheels stand up to the downforce of the ACR?

AZTVR
09-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Agreed, and the hard part is keeping them clean of marbles. I have scoring in my OEM ACR wheels and I've never been off track, so do a number of other guys I know. It just picks them up on track and they get stuck in the gap from time to time. So I would think that reducing that clearance could be sketchy.

I do find that when I have some rubber caught on the edge of the caliper, it helps act like a squeegee and prevents rocks from getting stuck in there.?

I had been thinking that someone should develop a squeegee/wiper for the leading edge of the caliper for these low clearance applications. I'd guess that reliable attachment method and heat resistance would be the major issues.

ACR Steve
09-23-2016, 10:17 AM
"How about: Smaller clearance should keep rubbish out and what gets caught should do less damage ??? "

he maybe on to something

JonB ~ PartsRack
09-23-2016, 12:53 PM
A small stone or any hard FOD of any kind, even the size of a BB, could get wedged against the caliper-to-wheel interface and score the forged aluminum inner barrel quite quickly at speed. Rubber marbles wont score the wheel. But rubber marbles are sticky and could capture/wedge a stone.

If you go off-track, you gotta check your inner wheels before turning another lap.

I once saw a small sheet-metal screw get captured/wedged in this way, and cut the wheel almost completely thru! A corner-worker reported the sound, assumed to be a bad brake pad, and car was black-flagged. (Not a Viper) Barrel would have broken thru on track in 2-3 laps.

Werks
09-23-2016, 01:23 PM

I know it's different cars but we use the same calipers and basically the same size CCM rotors on our Vette's and if it helps I've been running 18" Finnspeed wheels on my car since 2012 and have no scoring in the barel's at all. I'm guessing I have at least 80-90 track days on them now and if you would like next time I pull my wheels I can post some pictures of the inner barel?

Dr.Ron
09-23-2016, 01:49 PM

Looks like there's some minor scoring, no?

Do 335's fit on 11" wheels?

Ron

VENOM V
09-23-2016, 04:16 PM
I know it's different cars but we use the same calipers and basically the same size CCM rotors on our Vette's and if it helps I've been running 18" Finnspeed wheels on my car since 2012 and have no scoring in the barel's at all. I'm guessing I have at least 80-90 track days on them now and if you would like next time I pull my wheels I can post some pictures of the inner barel?

Very interesting, I wonder why we're getting the scoring with our 19s then? Do the Finnspeeds have the special high-clearance barrels? The Porsche race team that my friend works for does. He has seen a wheel come apart on track due to scoring, that's why they had Finnspeed build special wheels for them.

In any case, that's encouraging. Perhaps all it takes is an inspection between sessions, which I already do.

Werks
09-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Very interesting, I wonder why we're getting the scoring with our 19s then? Do the Finnspeeds have the special high-clearance barrels? The Porsche race team that my friend works for does. He has seen a wheel come apart on track due to scoring, that's why they had Finnspeed build special wheels for them.

In any case, that's encouraging. Perhaps all it takes is an inspection between sessions, which I already do.

Stock/OEM wheels on my car are also 19" front and 20" rear and I also have scoring on my OEM wheels but none on the Finspeed's. I know that they basically design each wheel to fit each car and back in 2012 the owner of the company was tracking a Z06 him self (so he's familiar with the CCM rotors and clearance related issue). So I have no doubt that he factored that into the equation when specifying the blanks etc.

parabs
09-24-2016, 05:47 AM

After reading this, looking at the photos again, and then seeing the photos on the second page I'd have to say I agree, there isn't much room. At first glance they looked to have plenty of room but they seem to have less the more I look at those photos....however even if it is 1/4" that is better 1/8" or less and scoring inside the rims can occur with larger gaps however obviously the greater the gap the less likely to have scoring.

GTS Dean
09-24-2016, 11:59 AM
It certainly doesn't help that brake ducting tends to direct debris straight into a problem clearance area. That's why the inlets should be covered with mesh.

Some enterprising individual with a little sheet metal experience and a cnc laser or plasma torch could whip up a nice run of stainless deflectors that attach using the lower brake pad pins, perhaps in conjunction with the fluid cross tube. It is obviously imperative that stick-on wheel weights don't get anywhere near them.

jpgunn123
09-24-2016, 04:07 PM
Some enterprising individual with a little sheet metal experience and a cnc laser or plasma torch could whip up a nice run of stainless deflectors that attach using the lower brake pad pins, perhaps in conjunction with the fluid cross tube. It is obviously imperative that stick-on wheel weights don't get anywhere near them.

Yes -- that would be great. I would buy a pair.

Nambo
09-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Yes -- that would be great. I would buy a pair.

Same here!

ek1
09-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Same here!

Count me in.

- - - Updated - - -

There is another caveat with running 18" wheels with slicks. Obviously they cannot (should not) be driven on the street, yet converting to 18"s will require new alignment and other suspension, so throwing stock rims back on for a street drive won't be an option and you will need to trailer the car everywhere.

jpgunn123
09-24-2016, 05:53 PM
There is another caveat with running 18" wheels with slicks. Obviously they cannot (should not) be driven on the street, yet converting to 18"s will require new alignment and other suspension, so throwing stock rims back on for a street drive won't be an option and you will need to trailer the car everywhere.

Going from factory 19s with Kumhos to the 335/345 18" Hoosiers is exactly 4 turns down in the front and 4 turns up in the rear. No need to re-align.

Was thinking about going with the Bridgestone RE-71R in the 305/30/19 for street and as a less aggressive track setup. That should mean the front might need only a turn or 2 up (since the 305/19 will be taller) when moving to the 18" in front.

jpgunn123
10-17-2016, 03:16 PM
First Road Course use with 335 and 345 18" Hoosier R7s. This was my first time at Chuckwalla, so I was still learning the track, but the car worked great.

Was able to run a 1:55.72, and there was a theoretical best available of 1:54.49 if you took all my best sectors.

Here are the PCA AMB Transponder based results (http://zone8.pcasdr.org/index.php?p=...=ROY&c=CAR#CAR) for the practice runs of the weekend (where I did get caught in traffic even on my fastest run).

I was making camber changes on the front (rear are perfect, and still just the factory settings) based on pyrometer readings throughout the weekend which also contributed to helping me pick up time. -3.5 is too much on Hoosier R7s, so I backed it off to -3.2 degrees for Sunday, and after those runs, I think it needs less, so I will try -3 next time out. Toe out was 1/8" total.

Balance of the car was very good. Front to rear tire temps were about the same (170 degrees front and rear at 34 PSI). Running higher made the tires greasy and resulted in higher temps.

Car worked well. Maybe it could be a little lower in the front (at 102mm), but I worry about hitting the bump stops, and making the car less usable on the street. As it is, I drove to and from the event on the tires I ran, had no issues. The tires were new when I went to the event, and at the end (ran total of 100 minutes) the front are about 90% worn and rear about 80%. My oil consumption is virtually nothing, and I check it frequently (used some in first 1,500 miles, but almost none since). The temperature was 94 to 97 degrees, and the Coolant never went over 219 degrees, but the track is not a power track (no long straights).

Here is a video from a run (ran a 1:56.18 on this run).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb8Bx3nO9SI

Here are a few pics of the car under load (no rubbing anywhere from tires, etc.). Cleared front brake ducts fine (had wheel weights closer to center of wheel this time when balancing), and required no modification to ducts that mount to lower A-Arms.

NT-ACR
10-17-2016, 07:15 PM
First Road Course use with 335 and 345 18" Hoosier R7s. This was my first time at Chuckwalla, so I was still learning the track, but the car worked great.

Was able to run a 1:55.72, and there was a theoretical best available of 1:54.49 if you took all my best sectors.

Here is a link to the PCA AMB Transponder based results for the practice runs of the weekend (where I did get caught in traffic even on my fastest run). http://zone8.pcasdr.org/index.php?p=TT_Top_Practice&f=ROY&c=CAR#CAR

I was making camber changes on the front (rear are perfect, and still just the factory settings) based on pyrometer readings throughout the weekend which also contributed to helping me pick up time. -3.5 is too much on Hoosier R7s, so I backed it off to -3.2 degrees for Sunday, and after those runs, I think it needs less, so I will try -3 next time out. Toe out was 1/8" total.

Balance of the car was very good. Front to rear tire temps were about the same (170 degrees front and rear at 34 PSI). Running higher made the tires greasy and resulted in higher temps.

Car worked well. Maybe it could be a little lower in the front (at 102mm), but I worry about hitting the bump stops, and making the car less usable on the street. As it is, I drove to and from the event on the tires I ran, had no issues. The tires were new when I went to the event, and at the end (ran total of 100 minutes) the front are about 90% worn and rear about 80%. My oil consumption is virtually nothing, and I check it frequently (used some in first 1,500 miles, but almost none since). The temperature was 94 to 97 degrees, and the Coolant never went over 219 degrees, but the track is not a power track (no long straights).

Here are a few pics of the car under load (no rubbing anywhere from tires, etc.). Cleared front brake ducts fine (had wheel weights closer to center of wheel this time when balancing), and required no modification to ducts that mount to lower A-Arms.

Great to see actual data on this setup. Hopefully, this will be a viable alternative for those who might not like the Kuhmos.

BlueAdder
10-17-2016, 08:05 PM
On the front, do you have the CCB or the regular Iron rotors?
I looked at the stock 19" I have with the CCB and the calipers are huge and there's not much space between them and it just doesn't look like a smaller wheel would fit.

1of1TA1.0
10-17-2016, 08:35 PM
He has the Carbon Brakes. The wheels are designed to have more caliper/brake clearance which is the point of his thread. Kind of confusing I agree as you can get an ACR with either set of brakes.

jpgunn123
10-17-2016, 11:41 PM
He has the Carbon Brakes. The wheels are designed to have more caliper/brake clearance which is the point of his thread. Kind of confusing I agree as you can get an ACR with either set of brakes.

Yes -- I just wanted to get more sidewall and width than you get on a 19" wheel (given fender clearances, and stock shock body/shaft geometry), so I started looking for a way to fit 18X11 or wider wheels. Ended up doing enough measuring that I figured it would make sense to give an 18X12 a try. So far, so good.

Tay
10-17-2016, 11:56 PM

Here is a link to the PCA AMB Transponder based results for the practice runs of the weekend (where I did get caught in traffic even on my fastest run). http://zone8.pcasdr.org/index.php?p=TT_Top_Practice&f=ROY&c=CAR#CAR

Good stuff jpgunn123!

Do you have to run with everything off with that set up? Or can you keep it in track mode?

jpgunn123
10-18-2016, 12:01 AM
Good stuff jpgunn123!

Do you have to run with everything off with that set up? Or can you keep it in track mode?

I generally run with everything off, but have run in track mode (did first session of weekend in it to see if it would work), and drove the car 160 miles each way in normal mode with no errors.

Tay
10-18-2016, 12:14 AM
I generally run with everything off, but have run in track mode (did first session of weekend in it to see if it would work), and drove the car 160 miles each way in normal mode with no errors.

Thats great to hear!

Dr.Ron
10-18-2016, 12:30 PM
So the 335's were on a 12" wide wheel?
I have 11" wide that I have 315's on, but wouldn't mind a wider tire..I don't think the 335 will fit on an 11" wide wheel though.

jpgunn123
10-18-2016, 12:34 PM
I have 11" wide that I have 315's on, but wouldn't mind a wider tire..I don't think the 335 will fit on an 11" wide wheel though.

Yes -- 12" wheel. 315 is perfect on the 11" wheel. Could run a 315 on the 12" wheel too, and you could squeeze a 335 on the 11, but I don't think it will do much good --> may be slightly faster, but won't feel as good.

mnc2886
10-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Going from factory 19s with Kumhos to the 335/345 18" Hoosiers is exactly 4 turns down in the front and 4 turns up in the rear. No need to re-align.

Was thinking about going with the Bridgestone RE-71R in the 305/30/19 for street and as a less aggressive track setup. That should mean the front might need only a turn or 2 up (since the 305/19 will be taller) when moving to the 18" in front.

Kind of off topic, but what phone holder do you have in that video?

Nambo
10-18-2016, 03:43 PM

I am running a 333 section width Michelin on an 11" wide rim up front with no issues.

Dr.Ron
10-18-2016, 04:27 PM
I am running a 333 section width Michelin on an 11" wide rim up front with no issues.

Any chance you can post a pic of the tire on the wheel?
Curious as to the look and the amount of tire beyond the rim edge.

Ron

jpgunn123
10-18-2016, 04:28 PM
Kind of off topic, but what phone holder do you have in that video?

That is the Ram Mount RAP-B-404-U
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-404-GOP1U

BlueAdder
10-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Yes -- I just wanted to get more sidewall and width than you get on a 19" wheel (given fender clearances, and stock shock body/shaft geometry), so I started looking for a way to fit 18X11 or wider wheels. Ended up doing enough measuring that I figured it would make sense to give an 18X12 a try. So far, so good.

I see, so I would assume that the wheel flange (or however it's called is really shallow then.
Glad that it works out, give us more choice in regards to tires and whatnot.

twist-a-grip
10-18-2016, 07:09 PM
The tires were new when I went to the event, and at the end (ran total of 100 minutes) the front are about 90% worn and rear about 80%.

I was planning on buying the Finspeeds and R7s because my Kumho fronts were smoked after 180 minutes. Please clarify that your tires still have 90 and 80% left in them, rather than 90 and 80% worn. Probably my lack of track lingo, but, to me, 90% worn means you only have 10% left after one day.

mnc2886
10-18-2016, 09:12 PM
That is the Ram Mount RAP-B-404-U
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-404-GOP1U

Thanks. Would you recommend? No marks on your "oh sh*t" handle?

jpgunn123
10-19-2016, 02:27 AM
I was planning on buying the Finspeeds and R7s because my Kumho fronts were smoked after 180 minutes. Please clarify that your tires still have 90 and 80% left in them, rather than 90 and 80% worn. Probably my lack of track lingo, but, to me, 90% worn means you only have 10% left after one day.

I would say that I have 6 20 minute sessions on the tires and I think the front are 90% worn, and the rear are 80% worn. Bear in mind that I was running lap times equivalent to a front running GT3 Cup car on slicks. I watched those cars all put on two sets of Slicks for my 1 set of DOT tires which I drove there and back on...

VENOM V
10-19-2016, 10:00 AM
I would say that I have 6 20 minute sessions on the tires and I think the front are 90% worn, and the rear are 80% worn. Bear in mind that I was running lap times equivalent to a front running GT3 Cup car on slicks. I watched those cars all put on two sets of Slicks for my 1 set of DOT tires which I drove there and back on...

That's a little more life than I'm getting out of the front Kumhos and I am getting a lot more out of the rears, and I'm also turning fast lap times. I am getting 4 to 5 25 minute sessions front, and 15 to 20 sessions rear. We are seeing a trend. Hard to make any tire hold up in the front on this beast. Pirelli DH slicks are lasting the longest, you may want to give them a try. I think the Michelin slicks are lasting for some as well.

Arizona Vipers
10-19-2016, 08:44 PM
I would say that I have 6 20 minute sessions on the tires and I think the front are 90% worn, and the rear are 80% worn.

Chuckwalla annihilates fronts so they would last longer on most other tracks. What camber were you running?

Arizona Vipers
10-19-2016, 08:49 PM

1:55 is smoking fast for your first time on that track! Great job! Great video!

jpgunn123
10-19-2016, 09:44 PM
1:55 is smoking fast for your first time on that track! Great job! Great video!

Thanks. I think next time with clear track and some more time on setup and learning the track, there is probably another 2 seconds there. Not sure more than that is possible.

jpgunn123
10-19-2016, 09:46 PM
That's a little more life than I'm getting out of the front Kumhos and I am getting a lot more out of the rears, and I'm also turning fast lap times. I am getting 4 to 5 25 minute sessions front, and 15 to 20 sessions rear. We are seeing a trend. Hard to make any tire hold up in the front on this beast. Pirelli DH slicks are lasting the longest, you may want to give them a try. I think the Michelin slicks are lasting for some as well.

I think there is about 40 minutes more time left in them. Will take them off the car tomorrow and take some pics.

Arizona Vipers
10-19-2016, 10:09 PM
Thanks. I think next time with clear track and some more time on setup and learning the track, there is probably another 2 seconds there. Not sure more than that is possible.

I think Winkler's record time there is 1:52.xxx. (On the Kumho's of course)

jpgunn123
10-19-2016, 11:21 PM
I think Winkler's record time there is 1:52.xxx. (On the Kumho's of course)

Interesting. That would seem to be within reach with enough time on a perfect day (temps, etc.).

Not sure I want to take huge risks to get the ultimate qualifying time with my own car (no factory sponsorship:-) I would be happy to be within a second or two with a little in reserve.

I am also not sure that the Kumho is any slower than the Hoosier.

Arizona Vipers
10-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Interesting. That would seem to be within reach with enough time on a perfect day (temps, etc.).

I bet Venom V has got to be getting pretty close to that. At the Viper Tracks event earlier this year Winkler ran a 1:51 in Rapid Rezultz heads/cam car with a passenger.
I ran 1:59.xxx in my '13 on Hoosiers.

I should be taking my ACR down to INDE here in AZ next week running the same exact setup as you. I've also ordered Forgeline's in same sizes with Pirelli's. I've heard the Pirelli's last longer. I wanted the Michelin's but they are out of stock all over the usa right now.

jpgunn123
10-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Chuckwalla annihilates fronts so they would last longer on most other tracks. What camber were you running?

Looked at the tires off the car today, and the rear are about 50% worn, and the front are about 70%. That is after 6 20 minute sessions on Chuckwalla. I think I can flip the front and get about 3 more sessions on them. Overall I am pretty happy with the tire wear. With the camber set at about -2.9 and a bit more caster (6) and Zero toe for the next time out I would expect to get 180 to 200 minutes of track time from this setup (335/345 on 18s).

Front

Rear

I also measured the ride height before making any changes, and found the front was at 105.4mm at Chuckwalla, which probably caused a bit of the lower speed push on exit. Now it is set back at 102mm.

Also -- I put the 305/30/19 RE71-R tires on the front with the Kumho 355/19 rears. The car comes up 3 mm in the front (5mm larger radius than the 335/30/18 Hoosiers) to 105mm. The rear comes up ~7mm to 147mm. I am happy enough with the small change, and I think this is probably a perfect option for swapping back and forth with no changes needed (alignment/ride height). So -- I will take these to ButtonWillow to try as well and see how the car works on them vs. the Hoosiers.

VENOM V
10-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Looked at the tires off the car today, and the rear are about 50% worn, and the front are about 70%. That is after 6 20 minute sessions on Chuckwalla. I think I can flip the front and get about 3 more sessions on them. Overall I am pretty happy with the tire wear. With the camber set at about -2.9 and a bit more caster (6) and Zero toe for the next time out I would expect to get 180 to 200 minutes of track time from this setup (335/345 on 18s).

Front

Rear

I also measured the ride height before making any changes, and found the front was at 105.4mm at Chuckwalla, which probably caused a bit of the lower speed push on exit. Now it is set back at 102mm.

Also -- I put the 305/30/19 RE71-R tires on the front with the Kumho 355/19 rears. The car comes up 3 mm in the front (5mm larger radius than the 335/30/18 Hoosiers) to 105mm. The rear comes up ~7mm to 147mm. I am happy enough with the small change, and I think this is probably a perfect option for swapping back and forth with no changes needed (alignment/ride height). So -- I will take these to ButtonWillow to try as well and see how the car works on them vs. the Hoosiers.

That all sounds encouraging. Buttonwillow is one of my favorite tracks, my stock GTS ran 1:52s with Hoosier R6s. Can't wait to try it in the ACR, I'm sure we will be able to dip below 1:50. My ACR is being clear wrapped in early November, will probably be done by mid-November. When is your private test? If there's an opportunity to join you for a future one, let me know. I'm SCCA competition licensed.

ACRucrazy
10-31-2016, 10:12 AM
Did we ever get a weight of the Finnspeed wheels?

Arizona Vipers
10-31-2016, 10:19 AM
Did we ever get a weight of the Finnspeed wheels?

I weighed my 2016 ACR before and after the Finspeed/Hoosier setup.

Factory 19" wheels/Kuhmo's- 3351 lbs
18" Finnspeeds 345/335 Hoosiers 3317 lbs

So 34 lbs of unsprung, rotating mass is lost with the Finnspeed/Hoosier setup.
That's amazing considering the front wheel is 12" wide and front tire is much wider.

The rear Kuhmo's were HEAVY.

I also ordered Forgeline's and Michelin slicks, I'll report back on those weights as well.

steve911
10-31-2016, 10:51 AM

That's amazing considering the front wheel is 12" wide and front tire is much wider.

I also ordered Forgeline's and Michelin slicks, I'll report back on those weights as well.

What size Mich's did you order?

Arizona Vipers
10-31-2016, 11:01 AM
What size Mich's did you order?

30-65-18 front
31-71-18 rear

That works out to a 333mm on front and a 353mm on the rear

The diameters are really close to stock too....

GTSilver
10-31-2016, 03:24 PM

That is the setup that I would like to get. Forgeline gtd1 in the same widths and size with michelin slicks. Cant wait to hear your feedback of the michelin sicks and also weights of the wheel and tire combo.

Thanks
Yousif

ViperGeorge
10-31-2016, 03:45 PM
With 335/30/18s on the front I believe you will have issues with Traction Control and ABS. Those tires are over an inch taller than the stock Kuhmos. The traction control system compares rear wheel speed to front wheel speed and with taller tires in the front the system will think the rears are slipping. This is according to the engineer that designed the system. I had this issue when running taller front tires on my TA. The ABS system will think the opposite.

Arizona Vipers
11-01-2016, 04:19 PM
With 335/30/18s on the front I believe you will have issues with Traction Control and ABS. Those tires are over an inch taller than the stock Kuhmos. The traction control system compares rear wheel speed to front wheel speed and with taller tires in the front the system will think the rears are slipping. This is according to the engineer that designed the system. I had this issue when running taller front tires on my TA. The ABS system will think the opposite.

I didn't have any issues in 4 20 minutes sessions pushing the car hard. I tried all the different traction/stability control settings also. From full on to full off.
I'm taking these off the ACR and putting them on my '13 car for the track this weekend. I hope I wont see any ABS issues in that car as well.

jpgunn123
11-11-2016, 10:32 PM
No problems for me running 335/30/18 and 345/35/18's.

No problems running 305/30/19 and 355/30/19s either

GTSilver
12-27-2016, 06:33 PM
30-65-18 front
31-71-18 rear

That works out to a 333mm on front and a 353mm on the rear

The diameters are really close to stock too....

Any updates regarding the Michelins and forgeline wheels ?

Thanks
Yousif

Arizona Vipers
12-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Any updates regarding the Michelins and forgeline wheels ?

Thanks
Yousif

I got the Forgeline's, but didn't get the Michelin's yet, running the Hoosiers still as Nasa penalizes me for the slicks. If I move to unlimited I'll run the slicks.
I've only tracked the Forgline's twice, but they seem to get less scoring from the rocks than the Finnspeed's do. Like maybe the barrel is a hair thinner or something.

GTSilver
12-27-2016, 07:04 PM
I got the Forgeline's, but didn't get the Michelin's yet, running the Hoosiers still as Nasa penalizes me for the slicks. If I move to unlimited I'll run the slicks.
I've only tracked the Forgline's twice, but they seem to get less scoring from the rocks than the Finnspeed's do. Like maybe the barrel is a hair thinner or something.

Would you mind sharing your front and rear offset as I'm looking to get a set wheels for my car in the same sizes 18x12 in front and 18x13 in the rear.

Thanks

Arizona Vipers
12-28-2016, 02:32 PM
would you mind sharing your front and rear offset as i'm looking to get a set wheels for my car in the same sizes 18x12 in front and 18x13 in the rear.

Thanks

18x12 +52 front

18x13 +71 rear