PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 heads damage

sanguissaevus
08-01-2016, 06:20 PM
I have recieved my second set of gen 4 heads from ebay and the rocker saddles on both sets are bent or broken on the tips. They all have light corrosion and there are dings on the edges of the valve cover faying surfaces. The compression faces are all marked up and scratched though i dont think so deep they cant be resurfaced. One of them even came with what looks to be a repair to one of the valve guide holes. Looks like it was miss bored and they realigned it and filled the gap with some sort of epoxy.

I ordered the second set to swap out with the first and they are just as bad.

My question is, if this is normal? Do they come looking like ass from Mopar when u order them new? These are both stripped sets with no valvetrain. These look like rejects that mopar decided werent good enough.

99RT10
08-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Sounds like Mopar is trying to get rid of all their junk.

sanguissaevus
08-01-2016, 07:55 PM

sanguissaevus
08-01-2016, 07:57 PM
One of many18988

sanguissaevus
08-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Just to clarify, i dont know where the dude from ebay is getting these. They're from canada.

sanguissaevus
08-02-2016, 05:54 AM
Am i being too picky? Any of yall that have done head swaps or head work seen this before?

mjorgensen
08-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Mopar is not known for good packaging, my guess would be these are all damage returns someone is trying to off load because Mopar cannot re sell them.

sanguissaevus
08-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Well, that would explain why both sets came in looking so bad.

sanguissaevus
08-02-2016, 09:14 AM
So, i am to take that this level of quality is usually not the case nor is it to be acceptable?

AZTVR
08-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Mopar is not known for good packaging, my guess would be these are all damage returns someone is trying to off load because Mopar cannot re sell them.

I bought a replacement cam for my Jeep from the dealer. I had to return it because of damage to a bearing surface. It was shipped to them from the depot wrapped in a cardboard-ish envelope. The second one was packaged the same way; but was good.
Packaged like something you wouldn't be surprised to be coming from a household garage ebay business.

ACRucrazy
08-02-2016, 09:18 AM

I have had some really weird (terrible) packaging on parts I have ordered over the years..

sanguissaevus
08-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Yes, they were only wrapped in single one ply cardboard with both ends bare and plastic wrap holding it all together. It was shameful.

sanguissaevus
08-02-2016, 11:18 AM
My head porter told me he could lap the damage and make them work but he wouldnt accept them if they were his. Im entertaining the idea of using them because the price was $970 total, but it honestly really bothers me. Im paranoid down the road, say on an extreme engine build, the damage might cause issues. Maybe the damaged saddles tips cause some sort of harmonic issue in the valvetrain or dont support the rocker shaft like they should and cause further damage. Just spit balling of course.

ACRucrazy
08-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Id return them.

sanguissaevus
08-02-2016, 02:22 PM
The seller says that he is getting them ditectly from mopar and that they are infact rejects. The seller is telling me theyve been selling heads of this quality for 25 years and im the first to complain about them. WHO ARE BUYING THESE??? I mean, are they good to go???

Chorps
08-02-2016, 03:53 PM
The seller says that he is getting them ditectly from mopar and that they are infact rejects. The seller is telling me theyve been selling heads of this quality for 25 years and im the first to complain about them. WHO ARE BUYING THESE??? I mean, are they good to go???

If they are rejects then there was something wrong with them, as you can see...hopefully they were rejected because of cosmetic issues but how does the seller know and how do you know?

Also, I am guessing you didn't know they were rejects because you are posting it now. I'd return them. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with those parts on your car anyhow.

ACRucrazy
08-02-2016, 04:04 PM
There has been at least 1 thread warning of Gen IV heads coming from a source in Canada...

sanguissaevus
08-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Yes, theyre from canada. I was trying to flush out if this was "business as usual" with these heads but from all the responses thats a no. The ad said they were new, unused . Before i ordered i asked every question i could think of to flush out any loop holes in his wording. I asked if they had any issues like damage of any kind defects, etc. He answered that they was no issues. I was clearly lied to.

sanguissaevus
08-02-2016, 05:18 PM
With the impact damage that is clearly visible, there might be internal cracks that only NDI could detect.

If people regularly accepted these rejects and used them successfully in their builds then id consider using them but it doesnt sound like anyone does.

Guess i get to fight with the guy to give me my money and shipping back now. Good times.

Camfab
08-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Return that garbage. I've heard that same line of BS from so many people lately I'm likely going to flatten the next guy that has the balls to say it to my face.i purchased an American made band saw that had clear cut assembly issues that were making the saw cut crooked. When I called the manufacturer in Wisconsin, he told me I was the first one to complain in 35 years. This is why our country is going to the shitter. Lazy, drunk, a-holes who think the world owes them. Not, I'm sorry, let me help you correct the issue.