PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lights Stay on After Exiting Car

dewilmoth
07-30-2016, 08:03 AM
Wondering if any of you have seen this. Sometimes when I exit my ACR, the brake lights remain on because the brake pedal stays slightly depressed. If I pull up on the brake pedal they go off. It doesn't happen every time, and I try to catch it when I walk away from the car, but it is slightly annoying. Wondering if this is a common problem, and if there's an easy or known fix. I still need to crawl into the pedal box and have a look. If I see anything obvious I'll post. Thanks.

SRT_BluByU
07-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Sound like the brake light switch is out of adjustment.. Easy fix. Go see Pete..

dewilmoth
07-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Sound like the brake light switch is out of adjustment.. Easy fix. Go see Pete..

I just crawled under there and didn't see an adjustment for the switch, but you're right, that definitely sounds like the issue. I'll have another look. And forgive my ignorance, but who is Pete?

Edit: After looking again, the bracket that holds the brake light switch does have some play fore and aft. It is taught, and seems to maintain its position by friction, because I can't find an accessible bolt that holds it. So I pushed the bracket all the way towards the brake pedal and it seems to have solved the problem. I'll keep an eye on it.

7TH_SIGN
07-30-2016, 08:54 AM
I had to change mine out. The switch is only a couple of bucks. I have an extra one if you need it, just pay the shipping and you can have it. They are really easy to swap out. Unplug the wire and turn the switch assembly counter clockwise. It will come right out.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac26/7THSIGN_photos/415DD266-A46A-43B4-A13E-94C4003288F2_zpsitvf2yw2.jpg

dewilmoth
07-30-2016, 09:28 AM
I had to change mine out. The switch is only a couple of bucks. I have an extra one if you need it, just pay the shipping and you can have it. They are really easy to swap out. Unplug the wire and turn the switch assembly counter clockwise. It will come right out.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac26/7THSIGN_photos/415DD266-A46A-43B4-A13E-94C4003288F2_zpsitvf2yw2.jpg

I appreciate the offer, but for now it looks like the bracket just needed adjusting. The switch itself seems to work as intended. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I need to take you up on your offer. Then again, if thats the case, I'll probably let Dodge warranty it out of principal.

SRT_BluByU
07-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Great, glad ya found it... I'll pm ya pete & brads info....