PDA

View Full Version : gen v key fob

bluesrt
07-29-2016, 11:34 AM
had this car since new and just tried for first time to lock doors with fob, they wont lock but the trunk latch will work with the fob, tried both fobs, any ideas? programing?

Dr.Ron
07-29-2016, 01:09 PM
How were you locking the doors previously?
How do you know it's not locking? maybe set it to honk the horn when you lock and see what happens.

lochnessmonster
07-29-2016, 01:39 PM
had this car since new and just tried for first time to lock doors with fob, they wont lock but the trunk latch will work with the fob, tried both fobs, any ideas? programing?

Take out the key from the fob. Take a flathead screwdriver and split the fob apart. Take the battery out and rotate it a bit (i.e. 90 degrees 180 degrees). Put it back in and snap the fob together tight. Try it again and see if this helps.

Smog Dog
07-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Lock the doors with the fob. Walk away from the car about 20 feet and put the fob down. Walk back to the car without the fob. try the doors, they will be locked.

lochnessmonster
07-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Lock the doors with the fob. Walk away from the car about 20 feet and put the fob down. Walk back to the car without the fob. try the doors, they will be locked.

Ahhhh...........the good old "passive entry" problem. That could be it, but I was assuming he was basing his conclusion on the lack of a horn honk or lights flashing.

Terminator02
07-29-2016, 02:23 PM
How do you reprogram it so the car recognizes the fob as you walk up to it?

bluesrt
07-29-2016, 03:16 PM
ok im a dummy, it works, thanks guys

lochnessmonster
07-29-2016, 11:51 PM

No worries. Glad it was an easy fix ;)

Dr.Ron
07-30-2016, 04:02 PM

How did you determine all was ok?

bluesrt
07-30-2016, 06:04 PM
I was standing by car with fob and door was able to keep opening. Put keyfob at other end of house n then i could not open door..lol

lochnessmonster
07-30-2016, 06:39 PM
I was standing by car with fob and door was able to keep opening. Put keyfob at other end of house n then i could not open door..lol

Smog Dog was all over it on this one. Clearly you're not alone bluesrt :)

Terminator02
07-30-2016, 06:49 PM
So I don't have to start a new thread, how do I get the fob you recognize the car when I walk up to it?

ViperJon
07-30-2016, 06:53 PM
So I don't have to start a new thread, how do I get the fob you recognize the car when I walk up to it?

I didn't know it worked like that either lol and I def didn't set it to. Must be just the default setting?

Terminator02
07-30-2016, 07:08 PM
I didn't know it worked like that either lol and I def didn't set it to. Must be just the default setting?

My 15 had it programmed from the factory as did my 14 grand Cherokee so I'm sure it's just a simple programming technique. I'll have to check the owners manual if no one knows.

Dr.Ron
07-30-2016, 10:35 PM
While I'm new with the Viper, it has the exact same infotainment system as my Jeep Cherokee Limited. I believe under "doors" there is a line item called "passive entry" or something. Enable it and you can just walk up and open the door without touching the remote.

Ron

Terminator02
07-30-2016, 10:38 PM
While I'm new with the Viper, it has the exact same infotainment system as my Jeep Cherokee Limited. I believe under "doors" there is a line item called "passive entry" or something. Enable it and you can just walk up and open the door without touching the remote.

Ron

It's activated through the 8.4in infotainment? I never noticed many options I will go tool around it and look for the option. Thanks!

Dr.Ron
07-30-2016, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure. I'm too lazy to go out to the garage and check though. Lol

Terminator02
07-30-2016, 11:20 PM
I'm pretty sure. I'm too lazy to go out to the garage and check though. Lol

Haha no problem. You were exactly right I went and fixed it up. It was the last option under doors and it was untic'ed

Dr.Ron
07-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Haha no problem. You were exactly right I went and fixed it up. It was the last option under doors and it was untic'ed

:bth_smiley_formula1

swexlin
10-13-2016, 02:44 PM
My key fob was dead this morning. Out of many cars with fobs with security over the years (meaning fob must be programmed to the car, even if you have to turn the key to start) I've never had a fob battery go dead. My SRT8 fobs were 7 years old, and they both worked.

At any rate, I had a service appointment this morning, unplugged the tender, and "key not detected". Dang! It worked fine just last Saturday. How does it die sitting in a drawer away from the car. At any rate, I used the "push the button with the key" method to start, and continued to the dealer. When I got there, I kept the car idling as they wrote me up, because I think you get only one "free" start right? Moot point - they accidentally overbooked my tech, and they couldn't take me today! Getting my annual PA inspection, and an oil change. So, I have to go back tomorrow, lucky I took two days off from work.

Anyway, they replaced the battery in the fob for free. I only have one fob.

ViperGeorge
10-13-2016, 02:55 PM
My key fob was dead this morning. Out of many cars with fobs with security over the years (meaning fob must be programmed to the car, even if you have to turn the key to start) I've never had a fob battery go dead. My SRT8 fobs were 7 years old, and they both worked.

At any rate, I had a service appointment this morning, unplugged the tender, and "key not detected". Dang! It worked fine just last Saturday. How does it die sitting in a drawer away from the car. At any rate, I used the "push the button with the key" method to start, and continued to the dealer. When I got there, I kept the car idling as they wrote me up, because I think you get only one "free" start right? Moot point - they accidentally overbooked my tech, and they couldn't take me today! Getting my annual PA inspection, and an oil change. So, I have to go back tomorrow, lucky I took two days off from work.

Anyway, they replaced the battery in the fob for free. I only have one fob.

Buy a second fob.

swexlin
10-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Never really had need for one. In all my years with vehicles two fobs, never needed one or used the spare. Until today, LOL! I guess I should, probably expensive.....

texasram
10-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Same problem for me last week, replaced batteries and worked.

swexlin
10-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Same problem for me last week, replaced batteries and worked.

I guess these "smart" fobs which communicate with the cars uses a lot more juice.

Policy Limits
10-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Which battery does the fob use?

Vprbite
10-13-2016, 05:39 PM
I've been told by a local member with 3 gen Vs that if you keep the key within 15ft (I think, maybe he said 20) of the car, they will constantly be "talking" to each other, draining the battery quickly. Again, I don't have one but on drive last month this came up. I hope this helps.

swexlin
10-13-2016, 05:53 PM
I've heard that too. I keep it in a drawer in my bedroom, probably 30 feet from the car in the garage. Two years, no issues until now, I guess it was just time.

Policy, I didn't see the battery- he just gave me back the fob with the new one.

wrh3
10-13-2016, 06:17 PM
which battery does the fob use?

cr2032

swexlin
10-14-2016, 02:38 AM
I bought my 2013 used and it only came with one key Fob. I thought I needed two so I ordered one from my local dealer The Key Fob was only $44.04

It was the $161.70 that I got charged to integrate the new Key Fob that seemed a bit on the high side.

Two years later I have never even used the second key.

I know, right? Like I said above, I've never used the 2nd key in any car. Another Viper quirk to need a 2nd, I guess.

Vprbite
10-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Murphy's law thing. The moment you don't have a second key he'll come in and hand you an asskickin.

Blue T/A 2.0
10-04-2018, 09:12 PM
My fob showed not detected the last 3 times. Today is was completely dead again. I used the other fob and it worked. Came back and tried former fob again, would not work. Replaced battery and all is working again. First time I have had a dead fob battery. The car and fob are in 2 different buildings about 60 feet away. Dodge must have got a discount on used fob batteries.

USAFPILOT
10-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Did Gen V Vipers come with only two red keys? Or, was there a black valet key as well.

ViperSRT
10-06-2018, 09:14 AM
No valet key.
I have had battery life concerns with all cars with keyless entry. If we get 2 years out of one battery it is good.

uberpube
10-06-2018, 08:02 PM
My car will say key has left the vehicle even when its in my shirt pocket. A dealer tested my fob and it came it a full strength for signal. Is there some special procedure to get the inside door lock button to work instead of having to lock with the FOB? The lock unlock inside appears to do nothing.

Dr.Ron
10-09-2018, 10:28 PM
My car will say key has left the vehicle even when its in my shirt pocket. A dealer tested my fob and it came it a full strength for signal. Is there some special procedure to get the inside door lock button to work instead of having to lock with the FOB? The lock unlock inside appears to do nothing.

I wondered the same and I tired the following... Before getting out of the car, with the driver's door open, press the lock button on the door.
Close the door.

I went inside from the garage and put the key fob inside a drawer in the kitchen. I then went back tot the garage and tried to open the car door and it was locked. I believe you can lock it that way, without using the key fob.

Ron

RT SERPENT
05-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Went into the garage to bring the ACR to life after a long winter. I keep a battery tender hooked up all the time so I wasn't too concerned with it.
Anyhow, both my key fobs appear to be dead. Luckily I left the car unlocked, so getting in wasn't a problem either.

Car fired up great! (no "undetected" message). Let it run for a while then took her for a nice hour-long cruise.
All is good with the car ...but both of my key fobs will not lock or unlock the doors and rear hatch?

I tried un-seating and turning the batteries in the fobs. Still no luck.
Double checked the setting to ensure the "honk/flash" was enabled. All good there.
Seem very strange.

I'll just put new batteries in both fobs this week, but I'm shocked the car still starts and drives just fine even though the fobs are both dead.:confused:

CNU_Physics
05-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Thats crazy, Im having the exact same problem right now with both of my fobs as well. I noticed if you hit the lock button inside the car, then hit the lock button on the key fob, the car will beep to let you know the alarm is on and it recognized thr fob. But just closing the door normally and pressing the lock button, it wont work. Car also starts, no issues.

Its been making me question, is it the battery dying in the fob or is not recognizing the programmed code in the key fob?

Steve-Indy
05-03-2020, 07:29 PM
If it any help, BOTH key fobs for our 2014 Voper went dead at the same point. Similarly, both fobs for a 2017 Jeep did the same...as did the fobs foe a 2017 Chrysler. I suspected that said fobs were a little too close to the cars and the fob batteries gave out from over communication with the cars. This has certainly been reported in the past with smart fobs.

swexlin
05-04-2020, 07:36 AM
I've been having a weird "key not detected" fob issue as well lately - see my posts in this thread:

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/26243-Not-Starting-first-try

camarochevy1970
05-04-2020, 07:47 AM
If it any help, BOTH key fobs for our 2014 Voper went dead at the same point. Similarly, both fobs for a 2017 Jeep did the same...as did the fobs foe a 2017 Chrysler. I suspected that said fobs were a little too close to the cars and the fob batteries gave out from over communication with the cars. This has certainly been reported in the past with smart fobs.

Same here, both key fobs on our 17 Viper went dead at same time, just over 2 years old

Gen5snake
05-04-2020, 08:00 AM
I've heard this too....if you store the fobs near the car they constantly communicate with it so the batteries drain quicker. I keep mine far away from the car.