PDA

View Full Version : The Viper Makes Another List

NT-ACR
07-27-2016, 03:56 PM
"Dodge Viper

The Dodge Viper seems to check all the boxes. Two doors? Check. Rear-wheel-drive? Check. Over 600 horsepower? Check! Where it doesn't deliver, however, is the noise. The V10 sounds more agricultural than mellifluous (this was actually misspelled in the article). Let's call it an acquired taste."

:lame:

Link (http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/g6776/worst-sounding-performance-cars/?slide=4)

The_Ruski_Driver
07-27-2016, 04:20 PM
I had a 12 year old kid shake his head at my car as I was leaving a C&C saying "wow, it's too quiet." If a child says so, it must be true. I agree, they are too quiet and unpleasant sounding. Can't win them all, it's the only downside to this car if you ask me.

Stealth
07-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Corsa exhaust sounds great on the car. I will say that Gen V stock is much better sounding than Gen IV stock, so kudos to Dodge.

triblk6spd
07-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Headers, Corsa exhaust and the Arrow tune will change the way you (and others) think about the sound of the Gen V.

Jack B
07-27-2016, 09:12 PM
The corsa with Balenger's (single cat) is not quiet and sounds excellent. Flatout has ARH and no cats, that takes the sound one stage better.There are options, you just have to step up. If sound is not important, just leave it as is.

Arizona Vipers
07-28-2016, 12:17 AM
I've owned every car out there over the years. Ferrari's, Cobra's, Lambo's, you name it.
The Viper with a proper exhaust is the best sounding car I've ever owned, end of story.
It sounds like a Ferrari that spent 6 months shooting steroids into it's jugular vein and 8 hours a day in a dark, sweaty gym.
The huge displacement requires the car to be corked up to pass EPA/Sound regulations etc.
The sound a stock Viper makes is not the sound it's supposed to make. The engineers had to make it sound this way in order to get the power they do from massive displacement.
It's up to the owner to fix what the government ruined. You bought a $100K+ car, spend a few bucks and honor SRT and buy a proper exhaust so the car can sound like it should....

KB Viper
07-28-2016, 12:25 AM
i love the way mine sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ywcISXuZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSgpcqudB00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peo03iLiupw

wiech101
07-28-2016, 03:41 AM
Hahaha KB Viper

LOVE the American flag out the window.:United_States:

dewilmoth
07-28-2016, 06:15 AM
I must be in the minority, but I don't think the stock Gen V sounds terrible. That being said, I do like the cold start up sound a lot better, and I'm considering possibly adding exhaust, mostly for sill heat reasons. I'm just very concerned with adding an exhaust that sounds good while not being obnoxious. I've ruined the driving experience of past cars with after market parts, so it's a decision I dont take lightly in a car as special as the Viper. I probably won't order anything without hearing it in person first.

swexlin
07-28-2016, 06:26 AM
I also like the sound of the V10. Maybe I got used to it years ago, when I had a 97 V10 Ram, and I'm now on my second Viper. That being said....my SRT8, and my current Hemi Ram do sound glorious.....

I guess, do you like Bach, or the Beetles? I like both.....

mikesax
07-28-2016, 06:46 AM
i've owned every car out there over the years. Ferrari's, cobra's, lambo's, you name it.
The viper with a proper exhaust is the best sounding car i've ever owned, end of story.
It sounds like a ferrari that spent 6 months shooting steroids into it's jugular vein and 8 hours a day in a dark, sweaty gym.
The huge displacement requires the car to be corked up to pass epa/sound regulations etc.
The sound a stock viper makes is not the sound it's supposed to make. The engineers had to make it sound this way in order to get the power they do from massive displacement.
It's up to the owner to fix what the government ruined. You bought a $100k+ car, spend a few bucks and honor srt and buy a proper exhaust so the car can sound like it should....

echo echo echo!!

timberwolf
07-28-2016, 09:25 AM
I think the big issue is that the car doesn't sound great when there is no load on the motor. Everyone who's said it sounds soso, changes their tune after going for a ride wide open throttle with no other mod aside the Arrow PCM. The decel and higher RPMS really change people's opinions. You also tap into that V10 howl everyone loves and knows. It's a more manly version of the lambo V10 if you will. (I do adore lambos)

But you definitely wont win a rev battle at a car show with your stock exhaust.

PTP
07-28-2016, 09:34 AM
I think the new Ford GT will take the crown for worst sounding stock exhaust on a super car. In videos that car sounds really sad, like it is wheezing. Maybe it is better in person.