PDA

View Full Version : Is much of the old crowd here?

Drummerviper
01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
I just joined. The reason it took so long was that I had Viper fatigue, and did (and do) have some concerns about folks here who were drinking the Kool Aid for a damn long time. Anyway, hope springs eternal and maybe they will fall into line.

I see Jon B, Janni and, obviously Maurice --are there other old timers (like me) who were on VCA from day 1? Remember when it was just one scroll of threads?? How about Tator--is he here?

Fatboy 18
01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
VCA from Day 1, wow that's some history! Must have been fun times then?

Chuck is here and has been working getting the Vendor section up and running :)

If you don't mind me asking, what is this term ' Drinking the kool Aid' I'm not sure what it means?

Welcome to the VOA
Mark
:England:

plumcrazy
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
tator is kicking around

City
01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
It's a reference to James Warren "Jim" Jones (May 13, 1931 – November 18, 1978) the leader of the Peoples Temple, best known for the cult murder/suicide in 1978 of 909 of its members in Jonestown, Guyana, and the murder of five individuals at a nearby airstrip. Over 300 children were murdered at Jonestown, almost all of them by cyanide poisoning placed in a vat of Kool Aid.

Lot's of the "old crowd" here.

City
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
tator is kicking around

Barely ... he's got the flu :(

Fatboy 18
01-06-2014, 04:50 PM
It's a reference to James Warren "Jim" Jones (May 13, 1931 – November 18, 1978) the leader of the Peoples Temple, best known for the cult murder/suicide in 1978 of 909 of its members in Jonestown, Guyana, and the murder of five individuals at a nearby airstrip. Over 300 children were murdered at Jonestown, almost all of them by cyanide poisoning placed in a vat of Kool Aid.
.Bloody Hell! I had no idea :(

Thanks City.

big-n-italian
01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
checking in.

since 2004 or 2005. about nine years.

Drummerviper
01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
I am not a day 1 guy but I have had every copy of the Viper Quarterly delivered to me as a member. I am even in one of the early issues. I am not sold on everything that has happened and I am not drinking anyone's Kool-Aid, here or "there." I am about the car and the people and don't care one bit what the club logo is. With that said, I paid my dues and I hope the last three months are not an indication of what to expect in 2014. There is way too much vitriol directed at the VCA and the people who are still Viper owners and enthusiasts. I don't get it and never will.

You would "get it" had you had to deal with it for years , or try to help folks who livlihoods and reputations were nearly destroyed. I will leave it there. Thanks

J TNT
01-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Not an original , but 2004 till last week ......lol ! Onward and upward ! ;) :drive:

City
01-06-2014, 05:22 PM
I am not a day 1 guy but I have had every copy of the Viper Quarterly delivered to me as a member. I am even in one of the early issues. I am not sold on everything that has happened and I am not drinking anyone's Kool-Aid, here or "there." I am about the car and the people and don't care one bit what the club logo is. With that said, I paid my dues and I hope the last three months are not an indication of what to expect in 2014. There is way too much vitriol directed at the VCA and the people who are still Viper owners and enthusiasts. I don't get it and never will.

You would "get it" had you had to deal with it for years , or try to help folks who livlihoods and reputations were nearly destroyed. I will leave it there. Thanks

This is such a difficult situation to manage. Unfortunately, there was a GREAT deal of "mismanagement" (about the best I can do not to disparage) for numerous years over at the VCA. Some members didn't give a hoot. Some were terribly affected and hurt. The later still feel considerable outrage as to what occurred. Much of that outrage has led to the formation of the VOA.

All of us over here are desperately seeking to maintain the "high road" with regard to the VCA and forum discussions of same, despite the fact that they continue to distribute misinformation about themselves and the VOA. However, it's difficult to demand that our members simply ignore and put aside their outrage. Some here are quite pissed off. Frankly, under the circumstances, I think even our most outraged members have been reasonably civil, but folks are pissed!

You may not want to hear about it, but moving on isn't easy for some if not many. Hard to find fault with either side of this free expression.

Shooter
01-06-2014, 05:40 PM
This is such a difficult situation to manage. Unfortunately, there was a GREAT deal of "mismanagement" (about the best I can do not to disparage) for numerous years over at the VCA. Some members didn't give a hoot. Some were terribly affected and hurt. The later still feel considerable outrage as to what occurred. Much of that outrage has led to the formation of the VOA.

All of us over here are desperately seeking to maintain the "high road" with regard to the VCA and forum discussions of same, despite the fact that they continue to distribute misinformation about themselves and the VOA. However, it's difficult to demand that our members simply ignore and put aside their outrage. Some here are quite pissed off. Frankly, under the circumstances, I think even our most outraged members have been reasonably civil, but folks are pissed!

You may not want to hear about it, but moving on isn't easy for some if not many. Hard to find fault with either side of this free expression.

That was very well put. Thank you sir.

Drummerviper
01-06-2014, 06:00 PM
That was very well put. Thank you sir.

Extremely. Thanks

Martin
01-06-2014, 06:29 PM
I think I was around since almost Day 1 - but I was so young, I can't remember it other than vague images of HTML 1.0 pages and something called a BBS that wasn't a wheel...

It would actually be interesting to have people like Jon, Maurice, Jay, Dean, Fred, and all the other old fogeys give a history of how things evolved over the years. I think back to the mid 90's, and the board was one scrolling page of links (much like Yahoo! v0.1). When they split it up into sections, I got aggravated because I liked to just follow the random stream of consciousness posts that popped up constantly.

Then there are all the stories of the dramas that unfolded over the years (Hennessey, Wilkes, and a few others). Interesting times then, and interesting times now.

99ACR
01-06-2014, 07:43 PM
What's a "Tator"?

Dennis B

City
01-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Chuck Tator AKA The Viper Wizard. Tator's Garage (formerly Tator's Dodge) in South Salem, NY. One of the more renown and respected Viper techs who's word is as good as a contract. Great friend of mine and the Viper community (among others on this site).

ViperSmith
01-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Where in VA/MD are you?

Janni
01-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I am not OLD dammit!

Late Apex
01-06-2014, 11:04 PM
I just joined. The reason it took so long was that I had Viper fatigue, and did (and do) have some concerns about folks here who were drinking the Kool Aid for a damn long time. Anyway, hope springs eternal and maybe they will fall into line.

I
see Jon B, Janni and, obviously Maurice --are there other old timers (like me) who were on VCA from day
hen it was just one scroll of threads?? How about Tator--is he here? Just trying to keep with ole Dave 6666 and I am one of the old ones here too. Yes my man Tator is still with us.

steve911
01-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Is 11 years long enough to be called old? If so, I am here and NOT there anymore.

ViperGTS
01-07-2014, 06:19 AM
1998/1999 - cant remember.

Drummerviper
01-07-2014, 06:44 AM
I am not OLD dammit!

Apologies. Janni joined while in middle school.

pastohio
01-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Just looked in the mirror, guess I am also one of the day 1 people that did a lot of reading and limited posting....a lot of meetings and discussions to get the club going, my ONE hope is that eventually both clubs would merge and get going in the right direction, seems that really both now want the same thing...how about a committee later this year from both clubs to see why there is a need for 2 clubs ??!! The only thing I can think that keeps from blending is EGOS and POWER,,.....could this be ??!! My $.02

Janni
01-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Apologies. Janni joined while in middle school.

Thank you for that clarification. I was a bit of a Viper prodigy.

Drummerviper
01-07-2014, 08:50 AM
don't mean to be a smart alec, but i sometimes wonder where folks have been the last 3 years.

There is a better chance of Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger getting back together as long as the current folks are in place at VCA. Have you noticed their attempts at wooing members--same old, same old. The BS about being back with SRT, magazines on their way in December, and on and on.

I will say it because he won't but Mr Liang wanted nothing more in the world to maintain one club and he tried his damndest. But like Ralph and others he was vilified. And, if you believe certain folks are gone from over there, I have some time shares I would love to show you.

Ok, enough. Just trying to explain.

big-n-italian
01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
well, i can tell you where i have been - away. far away. after leslie and i became moderators, we saw alot of things behind the scenes that we werent comfortable with. we werent sure what was going on, but we knew something was going on.

i remember when Chris was moved ("elected") from one position to another. (cant remember the exact details now). from president to something else i believe? anyway, written notices would come out from "other people", but i could tell it was Chris writing them, even though it had some elses name on them, i knew better.

because the marshalls hated johnb, we were asked (told) by chris to specifically target him. not from leslie and i, but Jonb always had a target on his back and never had a chance no matter what he did. chris' problem was i have always liked Jonb and consider him a friend, but i wasnt about to target anyone on the boards.

if we werent on the boards 24/7, we would get nasty pm's about it. i guess it was our fault that we had a job, or a life, or something besides the VCA. lee apologized once for his little nasty gram, but it went in one ear and out the other because we knew he meant it. and if you havent figured it out by now, lee has a very bad habit of doing that - saying or doing something stupid, then being forced to apologize for it later.

mary was relentless with pm's about do this, do that. i think she had an even bigger hand in the clubs activities than we all think. IMO, the comment "my presidents" was a good indicator of her mindset within the club.

i also never did like the whole VPA/Parts Rack conflict, especially knowing about most of the whole marshall/jonb history. but we were always told to heavily promote the VPA by Chris. i assumed part of it was Chris' hate for Jonb and chris probably wanting the hurt Jonb financially, but now we know Chris also benefited financially from the VPA.

i could go on and on. leslie and i are good friends. she is a wonderful person. we talked alot back then and still do occasionally today. but after a ton of emails, we both decided we had enough and quit the club about same time to save our good names. IMO, about the time the VPA was formed, is about the time the VCA was no longer fun for us and everyone else and started its downhill slide.

i came back, out of curiosity, to see what was going on after i got an email that basically said the HMS VCA-Titanic had hit an iceberg and was starting to sink. the "letter of doom" and everything that has happened after that, proved to me my gut suspicions were right all along.

why did i stay? because of alex. i have casually known alex for a long time, and i think i have a very good idea what he is all about by now. even though the VCA accuses him of being a member of "the last regime", he was not a DISHONEST part of that regime. big difference. a corrupt and dishonest few does not mean everyone else is corrupt and dishonest too. alex's (and other peoples) frustration can be heard in that phone recording that was made when lee was making a fool of himself again. janni, city, and a few others were just the icing on the cake for me. i know alot of us (especially the old timers) still have our guards up right now, but getting a club back under the control by the right people is a great start, and i think given a little time, we will be able to let our guards back down and have fun again real soon.

ViperGTS
01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
well, i can tell you where i have been - away. far away. after leslie and i became moderators, we saw alot of things behind the scenes that we werent comfortable with. we werent sure what was going on, but we knew something was going on.

i remember when Chris was moved ("elected") from one position to another. (cant remember the exact details now). from president to something else i believe? anyway, written notices would come out from "other people", but i could tell it was Chris writing them, even though it had some elses name on them, i knew better.

because the marshalls hated johnb, we were asked (told) by chris to specifically target him. not from leslie and i, but Jonb always had a target on his back and never had a chance no matter what he did. chris' problem was i have always liked Jonb and consider him a friend, but i wasnt about to target anyone on the boards.

if we werent on the boards 24/7, we would get nasty pm's about it. i guess it was our fault that we had a job, or a life, or something besides the VCA. lee apologized once for his little nasty gram, but it went in one ear and out the other because we knew he meant it. and if you havent figured it out by now, lee has a very bad habit of doing that - saying or doing something stupid, then being forced to apologize for it later.

mary was relentless with pm's about do this, do that. i think she had an even bigger hand in the clubs activities than we all think. IMO, the comment "my presidents" was a good indicator of her mindset within the club.

i also never did like the whole VPA/Parts Rack conflict, especially knowing about most of the whole marshall/jonb history. but we were always told to heavily promote the VPA by Chris. i assumed part of it was Chris' hate for Jonb and chris probably wanting the hurt Jonb financially, but now we know Chris also benefited financially from the VPA.

i could go on and on. leslie and i are good friends. she is a wonderful person. we talked alot back then and still do occasionally today. but after a ton of emails, we both decided we had enough and quit the club about same time to save our good names. IMO, about the time the VPA was formed, is about the time the VCA was no longer fun for us and everyone else and started its downhill slide.

i came back, out of curiosity, to see what was going on after i got an email that basically said the HMS VCA-Titanic had hit an iceberg and was starting to sink. the "letter of doom" and everything that happened after that proved to me my gut suspicions were right.

why did i stay? because of alex. i have casually known alex for a long time, and i think i have a very good idea what he is all about by now. even though the VCA accuses him of being a member of "the last regime", he was not a DISHONEST part of that regime. big difference. a corrupt and dishonest few does not mean everyone else is corrupt and dishonest too. alex's (and other peoples) frustration can be heard in that phone recording that was made when lee was making a fool of himself again. janni, city, and a few others were just the icing on the cake for me. i know alot of us (especially the old timers) still have our guards up right now, but getting a club back under the control by the right people is a great start, and i think given a little time, we will be able to let our guards back down and have fun again real soon.

:t1236::t1236::t1236::t1236::t1236::t1236::t1236:: t1236::t1236::t1236:

City
01-07-2014, 12:46 PM

i came back, out of curiosity, to see what was going on after i got an email that basically said the HMS VCA-Titanic had hit an iceberg and was starting to sink. the "letter of doom" and everything that happened after that proved to me my gut suspicions were right.

Thanks for that effort Big!

There was so much manipulation and deception for so long that it becomes difficult to believe half of what you actually witnessed after a time. Time should heal most of this, but as I mentioned, it is VERY difficult for some (myself included). So those that want only "peace" on this forum are certainly entitled to it, as are all of us. Vindictiveness resulting from the past is no fun for any of us. But I think some need to better understand just how disingenuous a small group of leaders were and how so many Viper enthusiasts were negatively effected by their greed and complete lack of ethics. Speaking for myself, it doesn't make it any easier to "move on" when the "new enlightened group" is STILL acting underhanded.

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Much thanks to Big, Leslie, City, and of course Drummer . . . . . . . . "It is NOT paranoia when they really ARE out to get you."

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-07-2014, 03:08 PM
In reply to old-timers and Hisssstory: . . . . . .

Martin, I would actually enjoy a 'good old days' area to discuss fond, [and maybe even some not-so-fond] memories, and Viper as well as club trivia. As when the old club had only the Car&Driver BBS that myself, GaryL, Ivan, Dean3 helped create and build, with the knowledge and background participation of Team Viper in fact! Hard to believe, but I was the 'moderator' to that C&D BBS! It stayed up and running for almost 3 years BEFORE the club had a forum. How many here remember that forum? It may be what Martin mentioned..... . . . . . . . .

The original Team Viper has an annual reunion, and a LOT of trivia gets swapped at those events. That event ALONE would make a great Viper Quarterly Story.......

I clearly remember when Janni was a newbee! A smart, inquisitive newbee......I answered thousands of inquires back then and she was the ONLY female owner that I can recall posting, and driving-tracking in that early time.

Dave97GTS
01-07-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm not a day 1 member but been around since 2001. I was more active on the other board in the early 2000's. I stopped being active on that other board several years ago because I didn't like the Kool-Aid they were serving. I continued my membership with the VCA (including Venom level) all those years until 7 days ago. I have however, been a JonB fan and customer since day 1 if that counts for anything. :D

Shooter
01-07-2014, 05:43 PM

i came back, out of curiosity, to see what was going on after i got an email that basically said the HMS VCA-Titanic had hit an iceberg and was starting to sink. the "letter of doom" and everything that has happened after that, proved to me my gut suspicions were right all along.

Bingo.

So far though, this club is a breath of fresh air. I look forward to a strong and fun club, one that gets back to what it's really about. These great cars and the people that drive them.

And how grumpy JonB is on a Monday morning.:p:p:anonymous:

Martin
01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
What's really interesting (and SRT should take note) is that virtually all of the old-timers on this board are still around in one form or another - f'ed up politics considered, they're there, although some are hiding out of disdain.

There weren't a lot of people in the beginning, but if you look at the typical half-life of people that got hooked on cars at first bite and invest their time in a club, I can't think something like a Viper that can match the number of people that fell in love with a new platform, a new concept, a "new" way of building American cars, and a fresh way of using social media to bring those people together for common fun - and they stuck with it.

To be honest, a lot of what makes the Viper a cult classic is the passion the old-timers had for it - and that cult-classic status has value going forward.... Just as long as the mainstream audience isn't targeted too heavily (because they will want something akin to the Mustang II or thereabouts). Just kidding - nobody would be that stupid...

Some people seriously screwed the pooch with respect to where things eventually went, but I suppose that's part of what our whole Constitution was based on. Let people give it a shot, make their mistakes, learn, and let life go on.

So far, the new site seems great - and it's got the feel to it that it can be great going forward. Let's see.......

F15NEXT
01-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Not day 1, but it will be 16 years this Spring, so I guess that's close. Great memories too...I remember when I ran the 1st crab feast cruise for the VA/MD region in 1998. We mustered at the Naval Academy parking lot, and cruised over to the Eastern Shore for our crab feast. The then president Mike Warner was amazed that we had 25 cars turn out for the event. This past year was my 15th and last, but the club officers will be running the event going forward.

Drummerviper
01-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Yeah, in the old days va/md was mostly Va, then mostly Md. I understood that but just didn't want to drive up I95.

Warner was/is a good guy. We also had George Farris and Biff , the window / top guy--VMania.

Many of us had come out of Vettes and when Viper arrived it was like Martians had landed. The miscreants that came later never understood any of that. To them it was a cash cow, and as dumb as they were/ are, they were lucky that others were just as dumb or naive.

That period of a Viper is gone forever, but will not soon be forgotten.

F15NEXT
01-07-2014, 07:36 PM
... Warner was/is a good guy. We also had George Farris and Biff , the window / top guy--VMania.

Talked to George just the other day, he's doing great, and will be back East this Spring for the Preakness.

Martin
01-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Bring out a direct injected ACR that has no frills on the interior, 740 HP+, 3200 lbs, and is all business on the engine/drivetrain, and we'll see what starts up again......

Silver04
01-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Anyone that kept renewing their VCA membership and is now spouting off re: the VCA is kinda hypocritical, don't you think?

Janni
01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Not really - tried to fix it from within in 2012 and prior, failed (cards stacked against change), and renewed because in 2013 it was the only game in town and I still wanted to be part of the local region.

In 2014 - it's a different story.

LittleCobra
01-10-2014, 12:48 PM
In reply to old-timers and Hisssstory: . . . . . .

Martin, I would actually enjoy a 'good old days' area to discuss fond, [and maybe even some not-so-fond] memories, and Viper as well as club trivia.

The original Team Viper has an annual reunion, and a LOT of trivia gets swapped at those events. That event ALONE would make a great Viper Quarterly Story.......

Motion to make this happen, any carriers?

whitebluevipe
01-28-2014, 03:42 PM
since 2003 and now signed up here.

big-n-italian
01-28-2014, 08:43 PM
since 2003 and now signed up here.

awesome! good to hear!

Schen
01-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Hmmm...

Not a member by any means, but I guess you could say I'm 'hardcore Viper' for the last 13 years this upcoming May and I've gotten to know quite a few different people that have supported my enthusiasm regardless of owning one or not but it's evolved into so much more than that.

If it wasn't for that enthusiasm, I wouldn't be interested in Mopars. If it wasn't for that enthusiasm, I may not have had an interest in photography. If it wasn't for that enthusiasm, I might not have interest in cars at all.

But with a little help, I've met Ralph, Chuck, Maurice, Dick Winkles, Herb Helbig, Mike Stephens, Mark Trostle, and got blessings and advice from Graham Henckel...that stuff to me is just awesome, I could write a book on everything I've done up to this point.

It's been an interesting 12 years honestly. When I started posting on the 'forums', I didn't have anything else to contribute except for video games and die cast models. Someone with a black and silver Viper HATED that. I could tell when I met him at VOI12. My english, my typing rather, was atrocious and it's funny to look back on that kind of stuff and at the same time it's pretty cool to see how far I've come. I was told when I first joined the forums that there were going to be some people that may not like my posts, so just take it with a grain of salt. I did, never looked back. :)

So I gotta thank guys like Maurice, Joe Houss, Bobby, the NJ and Ohio Viper clubs, list goes on. :)

--RS

AZTVR
01-29-2014, 08:46 AM
who were drinking the Kool Aid for a damn long time.

I sure had hoped that that tiresome metaphor had been retired ! I must have read it a 1-2 hundred times in the past year ! Talk about fatigue !!!!

Thawk97
01-29-2014, 10:58 AM
I sure had hoped that that tiresome metaphor had been retired ! I must have read it a 1-2 hundred times in the past year ! Talk about fatigue !!!!

Not to mention it's a pretty rough thing to casually reference/joke about.

I Bin Therbefor
01-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Started VCA with Gen I, dropped out when Gen III was introduced and the moderator announced any anti Gen III comments would be deleted, came back with the Gen V. Started here with Gen V. Still don't like the Gen I & II being called clown shoes. Gen V money is in the bank awaiting and auto. :dude3:

VIPER BAZ UK
02-02-2014, 03:55 AM
Been around since 02 with the VCA.. Good to see some long term viper owners back here, City, Chuck T, Jon B ect...

Good days are back...

Looking forward to the next VOI or equivalent...