PDA

View Full Version : 5 things I LOVE and HATE about the Gen 5 Viper

zee
07-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Hey guys - as a follow up to my full in depth review of my Viper TA, I made some quick follow up videos of what I love about it, and what I hate about it. Enjoy!

What I love:
https://youtu.be/vsPWJhKUwpI

What annoys me:
https://youtu.be/UMVaHJ11LAw

Full review can be found here: https://youtu.be/EzHRAkQWFTM

ViperPete
07-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Can you type them out too? I cant watch videos most of the time while @ work ;)

lochnessmonster
07-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Nice job on the videos. BTW, I open the trunk with one hand. Middle finger on button and palm of hand on trunk. ☺

zee
07-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Nice job on the videos. BTW, I open the trunk with one hand. Middle finger on button and palm of hand on trunk. ☺

Good point - I've done that too but still can get annoying :)

- - - Updated - - -

Can you type them out too? I cant watch videos most of the time while @ work ;)

Ha! Ok I will later

Bleed viper
07-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Nice videos, I see you are a tennis man. Good job. I agree with the brake dust, tons of it to go around.

Vipes
07-16-2016, 09:31 PM
OMG there it is!!! I was trying to find the pedal adjustment all day during my road trip. I kept reaching down to where it used to be on the gen 3 and I'm too lazy to crack a manual. Nice vids zee, I agree with you about the technology! I couldn't believe I was using cruise control, nav and sirius radio in a viper!

jns681186
07-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Good videos......

Dr.Ron
07-16-2016, 11:30 PM
Nice job Zee!

For me the biggest thing is the car doesn't self lock when you walk away from it. My Z06 did that and I never had to take the key fob out of my pocket to unlock, start, or lock it!

I agree about the rear hatch. My Z06 would also pop open when you hit the button on the backof the car or on the remote...=simple 1 handed openings!

I also agree about the exhaust being on the side if it gets hot. Yes it's part of the Viper nostalgia, but the hot pipe issue should have been enough to have the exhaust exit the rear I think.

I was unaware that the hood can still be opened even with the car locked. I never tried this but I assumed this was not possible. That seemed to be logical!

What about the off set to the left pedals? I'm still adjusting to that.

Ron

Arizona Vipers
07-17-2016, 12:20 AM
I was unaware that the hood can still be opened even with the car locked. I never tried this but I assumed this was not possible.

Yes the hood can be opened while the car is locked, but the alarm will go off.

zee
07-17-2016, 12:21 AM
Nice job Zee!

For me the biggest thing is the car doesn't self lock when you walk away from it. My Z06 did that and I never had to take the key fob out of my pocket to unlock, start, or lock it!

I agree about the rear hatch. My Z06 would also pop open when you hit the button on the backof the car or on the remote...=simple 1 handed openings!

I also agree about the exhaust being on the side if it gets hot. Yes it's part of the Viper nostalgia, but the hot pipe issue should have been enough to have the exhaust exit the rear I think.

I was unaware that the hood can still be opened even with the car locked. I never tried this but I assumed this was not possible. That seemed to be logical!

What about the off set to the left pedals? I'm still adjusting to that.

Ron

Thanks Ron! As someone stated earlier, you can get clever and open the truck with one hand if your crafty. Still annoying though IMO.

The side exhaust is definitely better than previous generations, but still can get very hot if you hit the right stop with your calf, especially after you drive it for a while.

The hood opening is very annoying and a little scary. I wish the latch was located inside the car.

Off set of pedals don't seem to bother me at all, but I have heard others complain about this. I think I am used to it since I had a NSX for a few years and the pedals were even closer to together on that car. Appreciate your feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

OMG there it is!!! I was trying to find the pedal adjustment all day during my road trip. I kept reaching down to where it used to be on the gen 3 and I'm too lazy to crack a manual. Nice vids zee, I agree with you about the technology! I couldn't believe I was using cruise control, nav and sirius radio in a viper!

Hope you are enjoying the G5! Appreciate the feedback

Dr.Ron
07-17-2016, 12:32 AM
That hood opening thing just doesn't make sense!

SRZ
07-17-2016, 12:41 AM
Most annoying thing on Gen V for me is not being able to shut the stereo off completely.

zee
07-17-2016, 01:01 AM
Most annoying thing on Gen V for me is not being able to shut the stereo off completely.

Doesn't it shut off when you hit the volume button? I thought that shuts it off...

SRZ
07-17-2016, 01:14 AM
It mutes it, but it turns on again the next time you start the car.

zee
07-17-2016, 01:18 AM
It mutes it, but it turns on again the next time you start the car.

ahh got it - good to know.

ViperJon
07-17-2016, 06:34 AM
For twenty five years Viper hoods have been openable from the the exterior but it has never been obvious how. Not that it was a secret but it wasn't something owners went out of their way to document for the world to see. Until people made videos illustrating exactly how.

dewilmoth
07-17-2016, 07:10 AM
For twenty five years Viper hoods have been openable from the the exterior but it has never been obvious how. Not that it was a secret but it wasn't something owners went out of their way to document for the world to see. Until people made videos illustrating exactly how.

Before I bought my G5, I had no idea how to open the hood, and I consider myself a car nut. If someone searches specifically, of course they will find it, but I don't think it's common knowledge. And the massive attention the car draws is a deterent in itself, because anyone with bad intentions is probably going to be watched.

John N
07-17-2016, 08:50 AM
FYI, exhaust out the side or back is irrelevant for heat. Rear exhaust cars still routed exhaust down the sills before coming back inboard for tailpipes out the rear. Gen II's have hot sills too.

lochnessmonster
07-17-2016, 09:12 AM
As far as the hood opening thing goes, I like the fact that I can open it from the outside. When I am fueling up, and the doors are all closed, I just walk around to the latch and pop the hood to check the oil. The fact that it's this easy leaves no excuse for those who aren't checking it at every fuel stop, as I was taught by my dad. I also like it because people like to see the engine, so if we are BS'ing about the car, and I say, "check this out", I can just pop the hood and show them. I have popped the hood when the car was locked, by accident, and believe me, that is one f'ing loud alarm. It scared the s@#t out of me. I don't think anyone is sticking around with that thing blaring to do anything with the car. I have to admit, I've only really been into Vipers since the Gen V came out, so I'm not a "long time" owner of the car, but I have read a fair amount on them, and I have to say that I have never come across a post or anything else suggesting that someone popped the hood on a Viper and vandalized it. Owners who have been around here for longer might have some thoughts on this, but I have yet to read about any issues.

I agree with the stereo issue. You should be able to turn it off. The lack of an automatic lock feature I like. I don't like the car doing anything I haven't asked it to do. My S2000 has automatic door locks and I hate it. I'll walk away from the car to take the garbage out, etc., and then go to get back in to drive away and the doors are locked. Not cool. The way to get around this issue with the Viper is simply press the lock button on the inside of the door as you are exiting the car. You don't have to take the key fob out of your pocket. You can tell that the car is locked by looking inside and verifying that the red light is flashing for the alarm system.

zee
07-17-2016, 09:33 AM

I was actually very hesitant to post it for that exact reason, but after doing a quick Google search I saw that many other already had, so I decided to go with it since it is very annoying IMO. It's cool to be able to pop it open easily as others have mentioned, but still I feel there is way more negative then positive.

Dr.Ron
07-17-2016, 10:11 AM
The exhaust routed more towards the center of the car, like many other cars have, would eliminate the hot pipes.

The radio only being able to be muted is the same thing in my Jeep Cherokee Limited...I guess it's a Chrysler thing. Not a big deal to me, just odd.

The auto lock feature in my Z06 could be turned on or off in the settings.

Sorry to compare to my Z06 that I traded on the Viper. I just came out of that to the Viper, so it's all I have to compare to. ; )

Ron

zee
07-17-2016, 10:37 AM
The exhaust routed more towards the center of the car, like many other cars have, would eliminate the hot pipes.

The radio only being able to be muted is the same thing in my Jeep Cherokee Limited...I guess it's a Chrysler thing. Not a big deal to me, just odd.

The auto lock feature in my Z06 could be turned on or off in the settings.

Sorry to compare to my Z06 that I traded on the Viper. I just came out of that to the Viper, so it's all I have to compare to. ; )

Ron

Was it a c7 z06? Gonna be reviewing that soon too

Terminator02
07-17-2016, 10:48 AM
What's annoying to me is to have to quickly mute and unmute the sound to get bass going half the time. It would be a simple patch fix imo but hasn't happened.

Dr.Ron
07-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Was it a c7 z06? Gonna be reviewing that soon too

2011 Carbon edition C6Z06

Bruce H.
07-17-2016, 11:44 AM
I question the fairness and value of critiquing a Viper against normal cars, those intended or often used as daily drivers, and against the metrics used for those kind of cars. After-all, the Viper is an exotic and extreme performance sports car, the more spartan TA and ACR most of all.

Things like challenging access, limited interior space, limited outward visibility, non-typical ergonomics, unusual features and lack of more common ones, and what might be seen as a lack of refinement based on the best mass produced vehicles intended for daily use is the hallmark of an exotic where a form follows function design philosophy is the norm. The uniqueness of exotics are a result of their designer's pursuit and approach to performance, style, and individuality that sets their creation apart from all others. That individuality is the attraction to their intended buyers, embraced and celebrated by their owners, and hold tremendous appeal to the masses who simply appreciate the car for its styling and whatever details they might know about the car.

Team Viper designed this car to satisfy their vision of the perfect ultra high performance track oriented exotic, and for those that shared that vision and desire. It's the result of a very small group of hardcore track rats and enthusiasts, and they didn't let it get altered, watered down or compromised by anyone beyond the government. I love the peculiarities of the car, every one of them, and they remind me that I'm driving something truly special. And I can't think of a single thing I'd change on it after driving and tracking it relentlessly!

Terminator02
07-17-2016, 11:48 AM
I question the fairness and value of critiquing a Viper against normal cars, those intended or often used as daily drivers, and against the metrics used for those kind of cars. After-all, the Viper is an exotic and extreme performance sports car, the more spartan TA and ACR most of all.

Things like challenging access, limited interior space, limited outward visibility, non-typical ergonomics, unusual features and lack of more common ones, and what might be seen as a lack of refinement based on the best mass produced vehicles intended for daily use is the hallmark of an exotic where a form follows function design philosophy is the norm. The uniqueness of exotics are a result of their designer's pursuit and approach to performance, style, and individuality that sets their creation apart from all others. That individuality is the attraction to their intended buyers, embraced and celebrated by their owners, and hold tremendous appeal to the masses who simply appreciate the car for its styling and whatever details they might know about the car.

Team Viper designed this car to satisfy their vision of the perfect ultra high performance track oriented exotic, and for those that shared that vision and desire. It's the result of a very small group of hardcore track rats and enthusiasts, and they didn't let it get altered, watered down or compromised by anyone beyond the government. I love the peculiarities of the car, every one of them, and they remind me that I'm driving something truly special. And I can't think of a single thing I'd change on it after driving and tracking it relentlessly!

Agree completely. My tiny gripes have nothing to do with the post you just made. It has to do with bugs such as the bass not kicking on and having to mute and unmute the sound system for it to work. That's not a nuance with having a Viper but a simple patch update. Great post.

zee
07-17-2016, 11:55 AM

Agree completely - I stated in my videos that it was very hard to come up with 5 annoying things, and many of them were petty. It was more for me to put an objective hat on and see why maybe the viper isn't right for some people. Those that get it, truly appreciate the car for what it is and thats why its in my garage. I just started my channel and will be reviewing many other cars, so wanted to be as objective as possible. If you see my full review of the TA, you can see how much I truly love this car. Cheers

darbgnik
07-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Before I bought my G5, I had no idea how to open the hood, and I consider myself a car nut. If someone searches specifically, of course they will find it, but I don't think it's common knowledge. And the massive attention the car draws is a deterent in itself, because anyone with bad intentions is probably going to be watched.

Haha, years ago, when I bought my first Gen 3, myself and the salesman looked all over the interior, for a half an hour, for the hood latch button. We finally asked someone else.......

7TH_SIGN
07-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Great videos.

I guess there is something wrong with me because there isn't anything I dislike about the car other than it needs two turbos on each side of the motor. :D

zee
07-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Great videos.

I guess there is something wrong with me because there isn't anything I dislike about the car other than it needs two turbos on each side of the motor. :D

Ha! There is nothing wrong with you. Those annoying things I pointed out are pretty petty ;)

wrh3
07-17-2016, 03:37 PM
i question the fairness and value of critiquing a viper against normal cars, those intended or often used as daily drivers, and against the metrics used for those kind of cars. After-all, the viper is an exotic and extreme performance sports car, the more spartan ta and acr most of all.

Team viper designed this car to satisfy their vision of the perfect ultra high performance track oriented exotic, and for those that shared that vision and desire. It's the result of a very small group of hardcore track rats and enthusiasts, and they didn't let it get altered, watered down or compromised by anyone beyond the government. I love the peculiarities of the car, every one of them, and they remind me that i'm driving something truly special. And i can't think of a single thing i'd change on it after driving and tracking it relentlessly!

This ^^^

:D

dewilmoth
07-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Great videos.

One turbo on each side isn't enough?!? Lol, I kid I kid.

7TH_SIGN
07-17-2016, 07:31 PM
One turbo on each side isn't enough?!? Lol, I kid I kid.

Haha you got me.

Space Truckin
07-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Ha! There is nothing wrong with you. Those annoying things I pointed out are pretty petty ;)

Zee,
While I like the couple of videos you have produced, I feel obligated to say you completely missed the mark on the "Hate". You bought a TA (Time Attack) not a TA (Transport Accessories) your "hates" are really nothing more inconveniences. This after all is a Viper not a SL550....JM2C :slap:

zee
07-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Zee,
While I like the couple of videos you have produced, I feel obligated to say you completely missed the mark on the "Hate". You bought a TA (Time Attack) not a TA (Transport Accessories) your "hates" are really nothing more inconveniences. This after all is a Viper not a SL550....JM2C :slap:

Fair enough my friend!! I tried to not use the word hate, but "annoy". I love the car more than anything and by far the best car I've ever owned. However, I try to keep my objective hat on and while 99% of the viper community won't agree with what I found annoying, many people outside of the viper community would likely agree. I love all types of cars and try not to drink the viper Kool Aid only. That being said, did I mention how much I love this car!!?!

SharpMan
07-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Fair enough my friend!! I tried to not use the word hate, but "annoy". I love the car more than anything and by far the best car I've ever owned. However, I try to keep my objective hat on and while 99% of the viper community won't agree with what I found annoying, many people outside of the viper community would likely agree. I love all types of cars and try not to drink the viper Kool Aid only. That being said, did I mention how much I love this car!!?!

BTW...hood release probably wasn't an issue until you showed everyone! (just teasing;-)

If anything your annoyances can be jotted down by Dodge for the next one.

swexlin
07-18-2016, 10:00 AM
I've learned to travel as light as possible. This past weekend for Carlisle, I had, in the hatch, my detailing supplies in one small gym-sized duffle, my clothes in another duffle The folding chair sits OK on the back deck, and my cooler jusssst fits in the passenger footwell. Luckily, I didn't have an passenger, or he or she would have been SOL, LOL!