PDA

View Full Version : Invo vs Super Sport?

Mr. Bill
01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
So I'm going to need some new tires once I receive my new Strasse Forged 19's & 20's.

Looking for some opinions on these tires. This is for a Silver Mamba that will mostly be used on the streets for weekend fun with an occasional track day here and there.

Bill Pemberton
01-06-2014, 01:03 PM
The Michelins are superior , especially if you decide on track days. We have used some Invos for those who like to cruise or as a decent general purpose tire, but the Michelin will eat it for lunch
on a road course. Luke at the Tire Rack or Jon B. at Partsrack can help you with the Michelins, but you would have to go to Discount Tire for the Nittos.

MtnBiker
01-06-2014, 01:05 PM
I've had both and the Michelins are much better.

FLATOUT
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
I like the Invos on the drag strip better, and that is the absolute only place I like them better. They tend to get a bit "greasy".

Revolution
01-06-2014, 01:18 PM
I like the Invos on the drag strip better, and that is the absolute only place I like them better. They tend to get a bit "greasy".

X2 Strip Invo's, track Michelin

The_Greg
01-06-2014, 01:24 PM
I have been on Invo's since I bought the car. I'm not the guy who should be trusted to give a fair opinion on tires because I haven't had my Viper on a track, but I like them so far. The reason I guess I like them is because I haven't had any surprises with them... Whenever the rear has slid out it hasn't been a surprise or gotten out of control. I especially like the price being ~$200 less than the Super Sports.

Does anyone know where to get a full set of Invos for about the same price as VPA besides, well, the VPA? Or can SS's be had for that price range ($1250)? Discount Tire isn't showing any Invos available for 2006 Vipers on their website.

MtnBiker
01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
JonB has SS's for $1300. He is THE man!

FrgMstr
01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
The Mich SS are EXCELLENT in the rain as well.

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
RunFlat = 'RunCrap'.....................NittoInvo = 'Shitto'Invo {OK Straight-line ONLY}......... Their only 'pro vs con' is 'cheapness'.............

XSnake
01-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Supersports!

The_Greg
01-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Are Invos considered less of a tire because the SS's provide more lateral grip? Or is it a control issue, do SS's 'give' more or let you feel 'the edge' more?

On a street car, I don't need the most lateral grip. I need a tire that is more predictable. (I.e. I don't need to go the fastest, I just want to have fun and stay out of ditches... A tire that isn't predictable will lead to me in a ditch haha!)

slitherv10
01-06-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm guessing the OP is looking for the 335 size and not a 345 size. I have been looking for tires as well to fit my 20's and only found Pirelli P Zeros (discontinued) and Nitto's that have the 345 size.

DreadLox
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Hmmm..... So don't get Nittos? I had ordered Toyo Proxy T1R's but they've apparently been discontinued -.- . Are the super sports even good in wet weather? I'm looking for good wet and dry weather tires. The michelin pilot sport cups of course were terrible in rain and colder weather. 275/30R19 front 345/25R20 rears
Mr. Bill you'll have to let me know what you find out as well

FLATOUT
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Nitto's are fine and yes they don't provide as much lateral grip. When it's hot out I like them, they are a pretty soft compound which is why they work well at the drag strip. Post burnout (real burnout) they have a drag radial quality about them. When I used them in the back roads though they just weren't up to par with the better all around tires like the SS.

FrgMstr
01-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Are Invos considered less of a tire because the SS's provide more lateral grip? Or is it a control issue, do SS's 'give' more or let you feel 'the edge' more?

Overall, yes. The sidewall on the Invos "roll over" where the SS hold their ground. I had NT05s on my Viper and were happy with those....till I bought a set of the SS. That tire hooks up crazy and is GREAT in the twisties. The SSs will talk to you as well and let you know you are getting close before those let go. Interestingly, I took my car out to dyno last week and it was cold that day, down in the 40s, a temperature I would not normally drive at. The SS did incredible in the cold. MUCH better than any of the previous Nitto, PS2, or Khumho XS tires. I was very impressed with the cold weather adhesion the SS tires had.

FLATOUT
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
And there you have it.

Joel
01-06-2014, 05:08 PM
I respect what the other folks have said but I have had Nitto Invos on my Viper for several years including 4 track sessions. I have not found them to be as bad as some of the other folks have said. Perhaps I am not going fast enough but they have been good so far and great on the street and I have a lot of miles on them. I might get a new set of Michelins as I have loved those tires for years but they weren't available when I bought my Nittos. Several of our club members have Nittos and have run them without a problem. If you can get Michelins for the same or about the same price, go for it, but if you can save several hundred bucks give the Nittos a thought.

On a street car, I don't need the most lateral grip. I need a tire that is more predictable. (I.e. I don't need to go the fastest, I just want to have fun and stay out of ditches... A tire that isn't predictable will lead to me in a ditch haha!)

FrgMstr
01-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Not saying my Nittos were bad tires, just not in the same league as the Mich SS.

Also worth mentioning is that all my previous Z rated tires never made it much past 10K miles. The Mich SS I have on the car now are at 17+ and still look almost new tread-wise. I don't burn'em down just for funsies, but the car very much gets driven.

slitherv10
01-06-2014, 06:22 PM
If the original poster has 345's 25 20 in the rear, I don't think Michelin even has that size in the SS do they. If not, then no debate here, invos are the only choice at that size. Michelin SS has the 30 profile tire in that size which may or may not rub the wheel well depending on the ride height.

HyperViper
01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Got caught in torrential rains in South Carolina with the roads flooding over. No problems. Of course I did slow way down. The SS also hook much better than my old PS2s.

The Mich SS are EXCELLENT in the rain as well.

DreadLox
01-06-2014, 09:44 PM
I don't think they make the Michelin SS's in the 345/25R20s. The only options I've seen are the nitto Invo's, Toyo proxy T1R (discontinued? Stupid if its true), and Pirelli Pzero Rosso. So far that's a I've found

Red Snake
01-07-2014, 06:23 AM
If you are on a 20" wheel, the Nitto Invo is your only choice if you wish not to have the tire scrub on your fenders.

There are TONS of TT and high horse power supercharged Vipers using this tire. That should tell you something (that its not a bad tire). ;)

DreadLox
01-07-2014, 06:41 AM
^ You have a valid point there. Im pretty sure the white 2009 ACR that RSI did (TT with over 1300whp) had the Nitto Invo's on it
2316 2317

And the red ACR that Nth Moto had them on it as well (TT with undisclosed HP)
2318 2319

Mr. Bill
01-07-2014, 01:13 PM
If you are on a 20" wheel, the Nitto Invo is your only choice if you wish not to have the tire scrub on your fenders.

There are TONS of TT and high horse power supercharged Vipers using this tire. That should tell you something (that its not a bad tire). ;)

Well I was leaning towards the SS but I don't want to deal with tire rub.

The stock rear tires are (345/30/19) 27.4" dia.

Invo will be smaller than the stock tires. (345/25/20) 26.6" dia.

the Michelin SS (345/30/20) 28.1" dia.

I'll probably go with the SS, because I'll have coilovers to adjust the height.

Bill Pemberton
01-08-2014, 09:10 AM
If Jon B has Michelin Super Sports for 1300 this shouldn't even be a conversation -- that is an insane price for that tire ( which is much better in the rain than the PS2 by the way ).

Next Phase
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
$1,300 for the SS's?

What sizes?

Next Phase
01-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Agree what has been said above... Invos arent the best road course tire. They are great fun if you like sliding around the corners and doing 4 wheel drifts.

ACRucrazy
01-22-2014, 10:31 PM
A very happy SS user here. Cups are not fit for our roads, too much tramlining to actually enjoy the car.

MtnBiker
01-22-2014, 10:48 PM
I bought the standard Gen 4 sizes. I can't remember what they are and am lying in bed so not going to the car to check. But I think they were 275/35/18 up front and 345/30/19 on rear?

LATAMUD
01-23-2014, 06:02 PM
I just switched from 20" Invos to 20" Super sports. Invos were 345/25-20 295/25-20. Super Sports are 345/30-20, 295/25-20. The SS are slightly taller. The SS fronts are wider. The Invos looked stretched front and rear. The SS seem almost slightly wider or as wide as the wheels. The front SS tread is wider than the wheels so the sidewall pulls in just slightly to meet the wheel lips. I don't notice any more rubbing with the SS than with the Invos. What I do notice, and is contrary to what others are sting, my Invos were better in the rain. I could cruise 70mph in a downpour on the highway and be fine. The SS break loose easy when the road is damp. SS need to warm up, much more sticky than the Invos, I like them, more grip, damper road imperfections more, car handles way better. I'm running about 700WHP on a Paxton Gen 3. If I were to choose between the two I would jump on the SS regardless of the price difference. I just would recommend being careful in the rain. The Invos have more gaps in the tread to let the water fill in. The SS are a step below the Sport Cups.