PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Paralysis: Exhaust Choices

Vibert
07-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Yes. Another exhaust post. :t0152: I've read all the forum topics on the gen V exhaust on this site and others.

Here's where I'm at. Entirely stock. Arrow PCM getting installed in the next week or so. I'm not a track rat, autoX, or drag/roll racer, but I hope one day to have enough free time to get formal instruction so that I can truly appreciate the car's capabilities in such venues. I live in a state where there is no emissions testing.

I usually drive the car alone, to and from work, and on fun drives in the evenings when time allows (on track for about 2000 miles per year). Each drive is no more than about 40 minutes on local roads and freeways.

I love the sound of the exotic V10s like the Huracan and Audi, but those are entirely different high revving engine formats and the Viper will never sound that way. I do, however, still want a louder, more aggressive sounding exhaust that is not obnoxious. I'd love to get headers, but there are issues with heat melting adjacent components even when the at-risk components are thoroughly insulated. I don't want the headache. Plus I want to be able to revert to stock in case of warranty issues.

I want to get exhaust from the factory manifolds on back. I was set on getting some sort of catless system such as Agency Power Titanium, ARH, or catless midpipes from JonB coupled to either Viper Exchange Titanium catback or Corsa extreme catback. However, I read conflicting reports with said setup. I've read that catless stinks, but I have a HORRIBLE sense of smell and I'm alone in the car about 95% of the time. I've read that catless is too loud. I've read that it will spit flames and potentially damage side sills/paint. I've read that without the Arrow PCM that you'll get a CEL even with O2 spacers. Regarding the AP exhaust system, I've read one report that a weld cracked (perhaps related to the fact that it retains the front hanger but has no flex joint to accommodate engine/exhaust movement). I've also read that these cars need some "backpressure" of a smaller exhaust system to maintain low end torque.

I don't know. I'm tempted just to get a manifold-back 3" catless ARH system and be done with all this waffling because, in the end, does any of the above excrement really matter?

Any thoughts?

7TH_SIGN
07-11-2016, 11:51 AM
You've already done the hard part and accepted that even though its a V10, it will never sound like an Italian. The Viper has its very own exhaust note. No matter what you choose for a header back exhaust you will be happy with it over the stock setup. You have a good number of companies with quality designs. I absolutely love my Agency Power catless setup.

One Viper Bite
07-11-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm running just the Corsa Xtreme Catback and I love the way it sounds. Anytime I hear another Gen V I notice how much louder and more aggressive mine sounds. I'm in California so I don't plan on going catless due to strict emissions out here. I also feel like the Corsa system helps minimize the drone a bit at cruising speeds. Nowhere near as well as is does on my Charger for example but I think it definitely helps a little bit.

Anytime I'm on a cruise or canyon run with my friends all they tell me is, "You car is so loud and sounds so mean."

I would go with just the Corsa or just a catback system to start and see if you are happy with the sound. If not, then you can add on catless midpipes, etc.

KB Viper
07-11-2016, 01:36 PM
ARH headers with cats and stock mufflers are my favorite combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ywcISXuZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etYfcwy1jw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PMxOK5Etyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peo03iLiupw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEiVVcP5sMY

donk_316
07-11-2016, 01:42 PM
For as many header / exhaust threads there are, I never seen it mentioned that the ARH headers come with 4 - 02 wire extenders with factory connections to make the instal even easier. ARH to Corsa has to be the most straight forward instal ever. It's like they are built for each other.

Awesome products. I would only consider going VE titanium catback over the corsa only for the weight savings. If my corsa doesn't sell by the end of the month, it's getting installed.

Stealth
07-11-2016, 02:12 PM
My '14 GTS has Arrow PCM, Stock CATS and Corsa Exhaust. Much more aggressive sounding than stock and I like it. The PCM provides substantial deceleration burble which you can drive around if you need/want to. In my experience on several cars, Headers always make a car less streetable in terms of drone, noise, vibration, etc. and are far more likely to break/crack at welds, etc. than OEM pieces. Headers are also expensive to install and remove, and will melt various items if you do not protect all of the bits and constantly check on the protection.

Catless will run cooler but will stink.

NOTE: you will have another 20-30rw HP and trq. with headers. On a 645hp car, plus PCM and exhaust gains (minor but something), that 20-30hp/trq may or may not be that critical for the tradeoffs... .

There are many good view points on this topic. Best wishes for making the best decision for you.

PTP
07-11-2016, 02:56 PM
I haven't heard other exhaust systems in person, but I am happy with my Parts Rack/Belanger high flow setup. It still has 1 cat which has kept off the CEL and prevents the catless smell. Heat is much lower than stock exhaust. I find it does drone in the range of 1300 rpm to 1800 rpm, but it is really easy to avoid by going lower or higher with a different gear. I usually cruise at 2k rpm on back roads which sounds just right. It will turn heads when you start the car at the gas station.

Quick video from when I first put it on. Stock headers and PCM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGEOIiHzGzQ

zee
07-11-2016, 03:25 PM
I'm running just the Corsa Xtreme Catback and I love the way it sounds. Anytime I hear another Gen V I notice how much louder and more aggressive mine sounds. I'm in California so I don't plan on going catless due to strict emissions out here. I also feel like the Corsa system helps minimize the drone a bit at cruising speeds. Nowhere near as well as is does on my Charger for example but I think it definitely helps a little bit.

Anytime I'm on a cruise or canyon run with my friends all they tell me is, "You car is so loud and sounds so mean."

I would go with just the Corsa or just a catback system to start and see if you are happy with the sound. If not, then you can add on catless midpipes, etc.

I wanna hear the corsa!! We need to meet up man...do you have any clips for time being?

nx91notch
07-11-2016, 04:11 PM
I am thinking of going with the Corsa catback as well. Or the titanium VE catback but I have no clue how much those cost.

I am also thinking high flow cats. I just installed a set of Belanger long tubes with no cats on a Gen V Viper at work while it sounds great IDK if I want to deal with the smell as in I pretty much daily drive my Viper. Also being a DD I would like to run headers but I see a lot of people with issues of melting wires and what not. Not so sure I want to be dealing with all that stuff.

ClayR
07-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Just got my Agency Power Titanium pipes back from ceramic coater. Waiting for my ARH and then I'll get it set up and a video. I went catless.

edc
07-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Meh... I wasn't really sure about getting headers but found a decent deal on some ARH from Facebook and bought them. I've only done the passenger side so far but it's been easy. Only hard part is taking off all the side sill and some stuff under the hood, but even that isn't hard, just takes time. And you will have to do the side sills for any exhaust mod anyways. I bought all kinds of DEI tape and wraps and insulation to protect important bits.

98intrigue
07-11-2016, 04:50 PM
I am thinking of going with the Corsa catback as well. Or the titanium VE catback but I have no clue how much those cost.

I am also thinking high flow cats. I just installed a set of Belanger long tubes with no cats on a Gen V Viper while it sounds great IDK if I want to deal with the smell as in I pretty much daily drive my Viper. Also being a DD I would like to run headers but I see a lot of people with issues of melting wires and what not. Not so sure I want to be dealing with all that stuff.
On a Gen V in the Tampa area? Damnit... I was hoping to be the fastest, haha.

Space Truckin
07-11-2016, 04:56 PM
I went with Arrow PCM, ARH Headers w (2) Hi flo cats/ Ceramic coated and stock exhaust and LOVE it. As far as "smell" only when in confined area i.e garage idling, my wife loves them also..... FWIW :dancingman:

nx91notch
07-11-2016, 05:17 PM
On a Gen V in the Tampa area? Damnit... I was hoping to be the fastest, haha.

I think he lives in the Sarasota area.

So you still have a shot at that title for this side of the skyway until I start modding mine.

Vprbite
07-11-2016, 05:39 PM
I've had corsa on my Gen II and my Gen III now (yes I know, not a agen V) but I am a musician with very sensitive ears so drone is an absolute deal breaker for me and corsa has done a great job of making sure there is none of that.

They build their systems with sound in mind as well as power and I believe it shows. I get told it sounds good but of course I usually only hear it from the driver's seat. My Gen III has headers,high flows, and corsa and I regularly do long drives. 2 hours to Phoenix all the time. I did NVE and back. No issues with drone for me. My girlfriend doesn't think it's too much either. You can have a conversation or listen to music while cruising too. Not at wide open throttle, but who would want to at that moment?

I wild give just the corsa catback a try. Then, maybe add high flows, and if you want to you will be header ready.

I got my whole setup from Jon B at partsrack. Couldn't be happier.

--REMEMEBER-- Any new exhaust has to "settle" for a bit. In any vehicle I have ever had, my trucks or my Vipers, at first the exhaust will sound a bit "sharp" until it heat cycles or gets a bit of carbon buildup or both or whatever. But after a couple hundred miles it will settle in and sound better. That's just been my experience as a musician with sensitive ears. And no way I could do catless either.

Good luck.

Voice of Reason
07-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Corsa hasn't been all that popular for the Gen Vs has it? I've heard it on previous generations and it sounded good but on the Vs I thought there was a decent sized group that weren't happy with it.

If I could do that it all over I'd go with the Bellanger High Flow cat setup and skip headers altogether. It was a costly mistake to melt my O2s and even though they've now been wrapped I'll still always wonder. Combine that with a leaky passenger side ARH header that I'm currently in the process of fixing for the 4th time (2 dealer attempts, 2 on me) and I question if it's worth it. Then again I am constantly told by others that my setup sounds great (ARH, HF cats, stock mufflers) so I'm giving it one last fix/try with them.

FSTENUF
07-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Bellangers complete system headers, hi flow cat's and exhaust with the Arrow PCM. Is with out question the best sounding set up I have installed yet on a Gen V. ARH to hot and highest tone of all of them. Corsa exhaust is nice mid range tone. it's all your choice in the end. Without the Arrow PCM save the money and leave it alone no decel no pop just enjoy the car.

Junkie
07-12-2016, 12:03 AM
I went with ARH 3" exhaust on mine, but I did that because I like how docile it is. There are MUCH louder and more exotic exhaust options, if I were to go nuts on it I would do the Viper Exchange TI and Agency power TI setup, I love the pitch change titanium offers.

The_Ruski_Driver
07-12-2016, 12:12 AM
I went with ARH 3" exhaust on mine, but I did that because I like how docile it is. There are MUCH louder and more exotic exhaust options, if I were to go nuts on it I would do the Viper Exchange TI and Agency power TI setup, I love the pitch change titanium offers.

Did you wrap any components to prevent the melting people are talking about?

7TH_SIGN
07-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Just got my Agency Power Titanium pipes back from ceramic coater. Waiting for my ARH and then I'll get it set up and a video. I went catless.

Nice. You will love it!

Junkie
07-12-2016, 12:43 AM
Did you wrap any components to prevent the melting people are talking about?

Plug wiring covering, 02 covering, and the Calvo heat shields are going on my car. As well as ceramic coating the headers and exhaust. Trying to reduce as much temp as possible

FLATOUT
07-12-2016, 05:57 AM
ARH headers, no cats, and our VE Titanium exhaust.

Our Ti catback is $2,200.00 for anyone interested. Been very happy with it, car sounds great and at 3.9lbs a side it really shed some lbs off the car.

Give me a call at VE happy to discuss exhaust options with you.

Andy

nx91notch
07-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Our Ti catback is $2,200.00 for anyone interested

And it will bolt up to the factory cats if this is the only route I wanted to go at the moment?

wrh3
07-12-2016, 08:15 AM
Exhaust choices are so subjective.....I have the PartsRack HFCs with Corsa and LOVE the sound (as does my SO), some others think it sounds too aggressive/loud?

FWIW, I dynoed my car the same day/same dyno as someone with AR Headers and stock exhaust and he made ~20-25 HP more......but said with the heat issues if he had it to do over he might go with HFCs and retain the OE exhaust manifold.

Vibert
07-12-2016, 08:20 AM
ARH headers, no cats, and our VE Titanium exhaust.

Our Ti catback is $2,200.00 for anyone interested. Been very happy with it, car sounds great and at 3.9lbs a side it really shed some lbs off the car.

Give me a call at VE happy to discuss exhaust options with you.

Andy

Was seriously considering a catless titanium VE setup. Does anyone know if ARH will sell their catless mid pipe and will it mate up with this catback and the stock manifolds?

nx91notch
07-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Was seriously considering a catless titanium VE setup. Does anyone know if ARH will sell their catless mid pipe and will it mate up with this catback and the stock manifolds?

This is the route I may be thinking of going. Staying with stock manifolds (for now at least) but going with HFC's and the VE titanium exhaust if it will all work together.

Vibert
07-12-2016, 08:28 AM
This is the route I may be thinking of going. Staying with stock manifolds (for now at least) but going with HFC's and the VE titanium exhaust if it will all work together.

I know that jonB sells HFCs that will go between the manifolds and catback. Not too many options out there for midpipes (I think that's the right term)

The_Ruski_Driver
07-12-2016, 10:29 AM
the HFCs will mate to the stock system? No additional tuning needed?

nx91notch
07-12-2016, 10:59 AM
the HFCs will mate to the stock system? No additional tuning needed?

You will probably need to run the Arrow PCM but I already have plans to do so.

Ggrrady
07-12-2016, 12:32 PM
My ACR-E should be ready in the next 30 days, but i am still gonna keep the Jag for this:

https://youtu.be/Al-3S-LZKdI

Vibert
07-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Is the ARH system considered as being on the tame side among the popular options of Belanger, corsa, and agency power? I wish I had access to real life examples. YouTube videos just don't convey it.

Vibert
07-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Corsa hasn't been all that popular for the Gen Vs has it? I've heard it on previous generations and it sounded good but on the Vs I thought there was a decent sized group that weren't happy with it.

If I could do that it all over I'd go with the Bellanger High Flow cat setup and skip headers altogether. It was a costly mistake to melt my O2s and even though they've now been wrapped I'll still always wonder. Combine that with a leaky passenger side ARH header that I'm currently in the process of fixing for the 4th time (2 dealer attempts, 2 on me) and I question if it's worth it. Then again I am constantly told by others that my setup sounds great (ARH, HF cats, stock mufflers) so I'm giving it one last fix/try with them.

Was everything heat wrapped when they were first installed? Or did they melt despite being wrapped? Would like headers but I'm really hesitant because of reported heat/melting issues.

Voice of Reason
07-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Was everything heat wrapped when they were first installed? Or did they melt despite being wrapped? Would like headers but I'm really hesitant because of reported heat/melting issues.

Only the rear wires were wrapped as they turned the corner. But it's ALL wrapped now!

yellowmz3
07-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Sorry for dredging up an older post, but for those of us who DON'T want headers and just want a cat-back option, what options are there, just Corsa?

Junkie
07-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Is the ARH system considered as being on the tame side among the popular options of Belanger, corsa, and agency power? I wish I had access to real life examples. YouTube videos just don't convey it.

IMO yes, the ARH 3" setup is very mild in comparison. I love it

sadil
09-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Any videos of the VE Titanium catback with stock cats?

Vibert
09-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Any videos of the VE Titanium catback with stock cats?

I'd like to hear/see that too, but I am unaware of such a video.

FLATOUT
09-07-2016, 10:30 PM
I have done a couple like that in the shop but haven't recorded any video. Next time I do one I'll post it up here. We just did two more Ti catbacks with ARH headers and high flows. On the louder side but I love the sound.

Andy