PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm envious: 2015 Corvette will have optional video+telemetry recorder

Alex Mills
01-05-2014, 11:40 PM
While many options already exist in external form (there's some great iPhone apps for example), it's really cool to see this built into a car: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089469_2015-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-to-get-hard-wired-performance-recorder

Gotta give Chevy props for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0MT5H8RCs

Hopefully we'll see a similar option in the Viper at some point!

Newport Viper
01-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Insurance companies are gonna love that!

FLATOUT
01-05-2014, 11:53 PM

Exactly, no way in hell do I want a factory installed dash cam that links to the black box in the car. It's cool and all but forgive me for not trusting government motors.

Late Apex
01-06-2014, 09:10 AM
insurance companies are gonna love that! exactly !!!!!!!

Ohiotj
01-06-2014, 09:37 AM
I never thought about that. I think it's a great tool if you are able to restrict the info from being shared without permission.

rw99
01-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Fantastic option, as long as the GPS is accurate and refreshes at 10 Hz or better. Very nice to have the OBD2 data overlaid and the TC setup displayed. Obviously, there would have to be an on/off switch before I'd buy it.

And if you're tracking your car, honestly, just be prepared with proper insurance... odds are, someone else has already captured you on video.

FLATOUT
01-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Fantastic option, as long as the GPS is accurate and refreshes at 10 Hz or better. Very nice to have the OBD2 data overlaid and the TC setup displayed. Obviously, there would have to be an on/off switch before I'd buy it.

And if you're tracking your car, honestly, just be prepared with proper insurance... odds are, someone else has already captured you on video.

Good point it's risk we take I guess.

rw99
01-06-2014, 01:42 PM
OK, I had time to watch the video. Maybe it was just my playback, but the frame rate seems poor? Also no display of previous (or best) session lap? Maybe the timer is configurable, and the lap comparison data not shown.

I wonder if they'll have a decent offline analysis app...

Alex Mills
01-07-2014, 08:58 PM

I don't know of any normal insurance companies that cover on-track incidents. Mine certainly doesn't.

From the linked article:

There's also a dedicated cabin microphone for the system, and GM notes that the telemetry recorder includes a dedicated GPS receiver that runs at 5 Hz, which is five times faster than the Corvette's in-dash navigation system, allowing a far higher resolution for vehicle positioning and trajectories. Since the system is wired into the Stingray's CAN interface, it can tap into all sorts of useful information, like engine speed, transmission gear, braking forces, and steering-wheel angle.

You also configure it and turn it on from the center console.

Yeah, lots of cameras at track days.

Plus it's fun to run your own. I ran two GoPros when I tracked my car. Makes for some great footage, especially when you make a mistake (http://www.viper007bond.com/2013/07/30/attack-of-the-cones-the-story-of-how-i-broke-my-viper/) and to figure out what went wrong.

OK, I had time to watch the video. Maybe it was just my playback, but the frame rate seems poor? Also no display of previous (or best) session lap? Maybe the timer is configurable, and the lap comparison data not shown.

I wonder if they'll have a decent offline analysis app...

The video itself was smooth for me but the car data overlay only updated 1-2 times a second which sucks.

The alternatives though are GPS-only options like Harry's Lap Timer. It's nice, but it also requires that you properly mount your iPhone to your windshield. Here's a video Ralph made in his Viper using the same app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6TE_6-wMvI

Similar, but no RPMs, throttle, or brake indicators.

rw99
01-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Alex, thanks for the details. Sounds like they're pretty close to a good setup.

I use a smartphone-based system myself, and I'm happy with the results. The GoPro (I had the old HD Hero) is usually out at the very front of the car, where you get a "snake's eye view". Details on the setup, data capture, and overlay are at the front of the video. Apologies to all for re-posting, but I thought it might be helpful for others interested in less-expensive video/data setups... Crank the sound (which needs improvement, yes) and watch in HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2bIJfuKxXw

Alex Mills
01-08-2014, 03:41 AM

I use a smartphone-based system myself, and I'm happy with the results. The GoPro (I had the old HD Hero) is usually out at the very front of the car, where you get a "snake's eye view". Details on the setup, data capture, and overlay are at the front of the video. Apologies to all for re-posting, but I thought it might be helpful for others interested in less-expensive video/data setups... Crank the sound (which needs improvement, yes) and watch in HD!

Very nice! It almost looks like a video game at that camera height!

DreadLox
01-08-2014, 01:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2bIJfuKxXw

Dude, I could watch videos like this all day.... Do you have anymore lol? Also does anyone know a good app for an iPhone device that does something similar? I saw a few but some probably are better than others

rw99
01-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks, Dread.

Harry's Lap Timer for iPhone is the most widely used app; lots of users, good support from the developer.

Newport Viper
01-09-2014, 01:07 AM
State Farm
1/1/13

7 (b): There is no coverage while a vehicle is:

on a track designed primarily for racing or high-speed driving. This does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other than racing, high-speed driving, or type of competitive driving.

AAA 12/11

SECTION EIGHT - EXCEPTIONS AND LIMITATIONS
Exceptions: The Certificate does not cover loss or Injury

(b) Sustained by any driver or occupant of any automobile in any race or speed contest anywhere, or while testing any automobile on any race track or speedway;

Geico
14.To any loss caused by participation in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity
of any nature, whether or not prearranged.

16.To bodily injury or property damage caused by an auto driven in or preparing for any racing, speed, or
demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged.

I'm sure it goes on and on as Alex stated

Alex Mills
01-11-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm sure it goes on and on as Alex stated

Yeah, Progressive has similar wording. They used to cover things like track days and stuff where it wasn't racing, but not any more. Too high risk I guess.

I picked up $60k of coverage for $300 for the day (crazy!). It had a 15% deductible though (so $9000, 10% was also available) so it's really only good if you do major damage. My off and cone collision took out my bumper and power steering radiator and while it was a few thousand in damage, it was less than the deductible so it was all on my wallet. Lame. :)

Newport Viper
01-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Yeah, Progressive has similar wording.

Common Exclusions: No coverage for damages or loss (1) to a vehicle while being used to carry persons or property for compensation or a fee; (2) resulting from intentional acts, racing, or preparing for a race or stunting activity;