PDA

View Full Version : PA/MD residents?

Uranium235
07-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Im considering taking a job in southern PA, near the MD border. I've done a little research on taxes and vehicle laws. Looked into real estate somewhat. But haven't talked to anyone who lives there. Any members live in the area who can make some recommendations? For taxes, ANYTHING is better than IL. Am I better off to live in one state or the other? Should I avoid the area altogether? Thanks in advance...

Matt

swexlin
07-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Where exactly? I live in Chester County, which 30 miles south of me borders MD. Nottingham/Oxford area is nice, get a lot of house for the money. For what I spent on my house here in West Chester, I could have bought much more house there. Of course, I would have had a 50 mile one-way commute. School taxes are a bit higher there though, due to lower population density.

Have a couple friends that live there. Great driving roads, too, by the way.

str5010
07-05-2016, 01:25 PM
I grew up in Southeast PA and lived in southern MD for almost 5 years. Of the two I would say PA hands down. Everything I did was more expensive in MD and it seemed like you had less freedom in some regard. The roads were nicer in MD but that may just be because of the more flat terrain and milder winters. My insurance was far higher in MD, the cost of vehicle registration was higher. I wasn't a fan at all. PA for me.

Uranium235
07-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Looking at York county, and leaning towards living in PA. Thank you for the help!

ICPREY
07-05-2016, 04:49 PM
PA does have emissions and vehicle inspections where MD does not. I'm in Lancaster county,but work in Chester Co. I guess I wanted more house for the $ vs the commute. If you have kids I would really investigate the schools in York Co.