PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen wheels in 2nd gen, lug nut requirements?

viperbluelx
07-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Someone told me that in order to swap 3rd gen wheels to my 2nd gen that I'd have to have 3rd gen lug nuts? Any truth to that?

Vprbite
07-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Not that I am aware of. People do if all the time and I don't think they do.

If you put gen V wheels on a previous gen, often people add spacers in the rear and then a longer lug nut is a good idea. Also, the torque specs on the gen II and the Gen III are within 5 lbs of each other (IIRC) so whether you want to torque to the specs of a Gen II or Gen III you should be good. When I had mine, I think I torqued to the specs of the car but it's been a few years and I got hit on the head pretty hard.

Have fun and enjoy your new wheels. Personally I think it's one of the best mods you can do. Makes the car almost look brand new. I'm partial to the 10 spokes but you can't go wrong with any of them. Be sure to post pics!

AZTVR
07-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Someone told me that in order to swap 3rd gen wheels to my 2nd gen that I'd have to have 3rd gen lug nuts? Any truth to that?

The OE lug nuts are the same part number in the 2002 and 2004 parts lists

Joel
07-05-2016, 09:23 AM
You can buy aftermarket chrome lug nuts that do away with the "shell" that comes on factory lug nuts and is bad about coming off after a few times torquing them. Plus the stock nuts look cheap - and they are not! They are available numerous places and you can get them online relatively inexpensively. Thread size is 1/2 X 20 I think. Torque is 90-100 foot pounds.

Vprbite
07-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Jon b at parts rack has then. He has the long ones too if you wanted them or put on spacers.