PDA

View Full Version : Coolant loss

GTR>Viper
07-02-2016, 09:25 AM
My coolant level went from about half way up the acceptable range to a little below in 660 miles. How much loss are you guys/gals seeing? Is this worth getting checked out?

The car was only on the street for all these miles. It sees red-line in 1st-4th at least once every time its out.
Temps usually hover around 185/185 coolant/oil.
Highest I've seen is about 202/212 after a couple back to back highway pulls.

swexlin
07-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Get it checked. I have seen no loss at all in mine.

Dave1968
07-02-2016, 10:57 AM
If there are no signs of dripping anywhere and assuming you are checking both times when it's cold, it might simply be there was a little air in the system that has now bled out and the coolant is taking it's place. Just keep an eye on it and take it in if it persists on losing more.

BJG32
07-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Mine and a friends were both about a hslf inch below the line when we checked. I added coolant and monitoring it.

AZTVR
07-02-2016, 11:47 AM
My coolant level went from about half way up the acceptable range to a little below in 660 miles. How much loss are you guys/gals seeing? Is this worth getting checked out?

Did you mean that this is the few hundred miles on the car? You may have just burped out some air trapped in the system during the initial fill. That is a good thing.

GTR>Viper
07-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Yes, both measurements cold.. wasn't trying to cook myself

No, it has 16K miles now, but the coolant system was just worked on.

A few weeks ago it started leaking enough to see a small puddle under the car. It was way below the range. I added a quart or so to top it off and took it to the dealer. After the "fix," (lower radiator hose clamp replacement/ adjustment) this small amount is the loss I've been seeing pretty consistently. This is the third time I've added, so my guess is about 1800 miles or so of purging the system after the hose leak was taken care of. There aren't any signs of fluid leaking from there from what I can see.