PDA

View Full Version : Where do I buy vinyl sheets for vinyl wrapping rims?

viper04blk
07-01-2016, 11:55 PM
I want to vinyl wrap my rims to see what it will look like before I powder coat them. The DIY videos on youtube indicate 24"x24" sheets are less then ten bucks. But I cant find a place to buy such a thing.

Any ideas?

pjkinsella
07-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Try ebay!

AZTVR
07-02-2016, 11:30 AM
I want to vinyl wrap my rims to see what it will look like before I powder coat them. The DIY videos on youtube indicate 24"x24" sheets are less then ten bucks. But I cant find a place to buy such a thing.

Any ideas? I would think plasti-dip would be easier, just for getting an idea of what it will look like.

viper04blk
07-02-2016, 11:52 AM
i was think plasti-dip as well, but its expensive as all hell in Canada.

pjkinsella
07-02-2016, 06:37 PM
i was think plasti-dip as well, but its expensive as all hell in Canada.

Is it still more expensive when you buy online?? DipYourCar - Wheel Kits (https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages/dyc-wheel-kit-builder)

Vprbite
07-04-2016, 09:59 PM
Amazon sells 3m vinyl as well.

I plasti dipped my wheels 3yrs and almost 22k miles ago and am only now going to take it off. It held up fantastically. Here, Home Depot or lowes carries black and white but you can order almost any color "ship to store" but you have to buy a case.

Dipyourcar ships with UPS. I have purchased through them and found them very helpful if you have any questions or want some tips while doing it.
--my tip for wheels is to take them off. On my truck I could easily cover the brakes but on the Viper the fit is just way too close. Plus it helps you get all the angles and get good coverage. And I covered the barrel with sheets of paper from my printer. And stick index cards in the bead. It's easier than getting overspray off the tires and you won't accidentally pull too much off and mess up your work.

Good luck and enjoy.

viper04blk
07-05-2016, 06:57 AM
UPS is the devil if shipping to Canada. Brokerage fees will double the price guaranteed.

As for spraying it while the rim is off of the car, what about the wheel lugs? Did you spray them separately? I figured the plastidip would get chewed up by the socket when installing the rim. So i was planning on spraying while on the car.

38D
07-05-2016, 07:05 AM
Google for 3M or Avery vinyl wrap. There are literal hundreds of paces that sell it. I've used they guys below before.

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-Scotchprint-Vinyl-Wrap-Film-Series-1080-s/16764.htm

viper04blk
07-05-2016, 11:39 PM
thanks!

Vprbite
07-06-2016, 10:21 AM
UPS is the devil if shipping to Canada. Brokerage fees will double the price guaranteed.

As for spraying it while the rim is off of the car, what about the wheel lugs? Did you spray them separately? I figured the plastidip would get chewed up by the socket when installing the rim. So i was planning on spraying while on the car.

I left my lugs polished. Looks good. You could get a lined socket for them to try and keep them nice after you sprayed them but know that if you take it somewhere to get removed, etc, they will probably get peeled off by the tire shop. But yes you would have to leave them on the car if you want the same color. Or if you are going black, you can buy them in black. Not very expensive. But if you leave them on, you will have to roll the car a bit though to get even coverage on the wheels. I would leave it in neutral and just roll it a 6" with your feet and you'll be fine. I also threw a thin plastic drop cloth over the car just for peace of mind. May not be needed but for 2 bucks it's cheap insurance. (Plasti dip is easy to peel off when done right, but a tiny bit of overspray takes a bit of patience. Oddly.)

See if you can do Home Depot ship to store. I found for special colors, Home Depot could order them but you had to buy a case shipped to store. Dipyourcar would sell you just 4 or 5 cans but they were more expensive. Basically it was a push. Just black or white though they carry in store. And pep boys carries more colors. Dipyourcar I know for certain carries glossifier though if you want to do satin or gloss.

I may peel mine off today and re do it soon.

What if someone in the US ships it to you personally as a gift? Still charge brokerage fees?

bluesrt
07-06-2016, 10:54 AM
have someone photoshop it for you

The_Greg
07-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Don't go off-brand. I went with the Rustoleum variant and am not happy with it.

Vprbite
07-07-2016, 01:21 AM
Don't go off-brand. I went with the Rustoleum variant and am not happy with it.

Good to know. I've been surprised at plasti dip. I did my table red with white stripes. Obviously I did my wheels and get compliments on them. And we have a member here who also did his and same thing. People can't tell they aren't powdercoated.

I even did the lower half of the doors on my truck and rear quarter panels which were beat to snot from years of all terrain and mud terrain tires. It came out perfectly and looks like a factory option and has held up off road. Pretty cool stuff.