PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Hibernate Mode

Lizzardking308
06-30-2016, 09:17 PM
So far I have killed my battery twice when I thought it was in hibernate mode so clearly I am doing something wrong. I find hibernate mode in the cluster, hit the arrow and it starts counting down, then shut the car off "run mode" and exit. What am I missing?

SRT BILL
07-01-2016, 07:21 AM
That sounds like the correct procedure. How long was it in hibernate mode and was the battery fully charged before you put it to sleep?

swexlin
07-01-2016, 07:42 AM
It is the correct procedure. I keep mine in hibernate every time I park it in the garage, as it can sit for a week or more at a time. First winter I had it (2015) it sat for 5-6 weeks in my unheated garage, and fired right off the first time. This past winter, it had sat for 6 weeks, and I went to start it on a 17 degree morning, it took four tries. But has been fine since, and voltage has been an is normal.

Bottom line, this winter, I will keep a tender on it, even in hibernate. So it helps, but if you battery is already weak, may not be enough.

ViperSmith
07-01-2016, 07:44 AM
How long? I recently had mine sitting in the garage for 2 weeks without it set and fired right up

Lizzardking308
07-01-2016, 08:09 AM
It might have sat for a week or two. One time I actually got it to show it was in hibernate mode, but I haven't seen that message since. Should that show up every time?

swexlin
07-01-2016, 08:28 AM
It might have sat for a week or two. One time I actually got it to show it was in hibernate mode, but I haven't seen that message since. Should that show up every time?

It should. Set car to "access", scroll to "Hibernate" touch the right arrow (don't hold) it should count down. When done, cycle the button through "run" to "off". When you open the door to exit, center display should be showing the notice the hibernate is activated.

Lizzardking308
07-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Thank you. I'll try that tonight and will report back. It's been driving me nuts, my 06' with the key process seems easier now!

lochnessmonster
07-01-2016, 08:55 AM
So far I have killed my battery twice when I thought it was in hibernate mode so clearly I am doing something wrong. I find hibernate mode in the cluster, hit the arrow and it starts counting down, then shut the car off "run mode" and exit. What am I missing?

Here is the key: When you press the start button to "Off" and open the door, does the following message appear on the gauge cluster: "Hibernation mode engaged to minimize battery drain"????????????? If it does, you are in Hibernation mode. If it doesn't, you are not. You didn't indicate whether or not you saw this on the gauge cluster, and since you didn't I'm not certain you were in hibernation mode. And yes, it should show up every time.

BTW, I leave my car for weeks during the winter with no battery tender in this mode and it fires right up. I haven't had any loss of battery power at all, and you really shouldn't unless there is a draw. You should be able to leave a battery for months and months and months without a tender on it and use it to start your car. My boat batteries sit in my garage for 8 months at a time until I hook them up to the boat in spring and they work perfectly. As they should.

Edit - woops, I didn't read down through the whole thread. What Swexlin said^^^^^^^^^

Lizzardking308
07-01-2016, 09:47 AM
I haven't seen that every time which is what made me believe that it wasn't in hibernate mode. I'll try that tonight and see if I can replicate it. Does the door have to be shut? Do I wait until after the countdown to open the door? This has been frustrating the heck out of me and I feel like a moron that I can't figure it out.

swexlin
07-01-2016, 10:03 AM
I haven't seen that every time which is what made me believe that it wasn't in hibernate mode. I'll try that tonight and see if I can replicate it. Does the door have to be shut? Do I wait until after the countdown to open the door? This has been frustrating the heck out of me and I feel like a moron that I can't figure it out.

Yes, wait until the countdown ends. (Cue the final countdown!) As Loch said, you can leave for weeks at a time, and it should be OK. I think the reason this past winter mine took four tries on that one start was just that is was so cold, the battery's starting power was low simply due to temp. Had it not been in Hibernate, it would have been dead. The touch screen in the center didn't work either until it warmed up.

Lizzardking308
07-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Bingo! I'm thinking it didn't like the door being open when going into hibernate mode. Went first time and I saw the message after the countdown and again when I exited and closed the door. Thanks guys!

Vibert
07-01-2016, 08:58 PM
This thread helped me as well. It was seemingly random when I could get into hibernation. Keep door closed until the countdown is down, cycle to "off", and exit. Good info. Thanks.

Policy Limits
07-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Deltran it. 59 bucks and peace of mind. I think the new acr lightweight battery only holds a charge for 20 something days per the manual

What is voltage like for you guys on start up?

lochnessmonster
07-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Bingo! I'm thinking it didn't like the door being open when going into hibernate mode. Went first time and I saw the message after the countdown and again when I exited and closed the door. Thanks guys!

You're very welcome!! Enjoy your car ;)

Lizzardking308
07-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Policy Limits, when it fired up last night it said 14.1 - 14.2 pretty much right off the bat.

Do you guys keep a battery tender hooked up at all times when parked? I had it hooked up all winter and ran it down through the bottom of the battery spot and back through the rear vents. Should I hook it up and leave the cord end down there when driving? Sounds like this one drains faster than my 06 so maybe I should do something different. Never had issues with the 06.

swexlin
07-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Search for pics on here - in the fusebox, you can attach the tender to the positive jumping terminal. And then ground the negative. PM ViperJon, he has pics.

My voltage on startuo shows about 12.5 for an instant when it fires, then 14+ next instant and stays there.

Policy Limits
07-02-2016, 03:57 PM
I always plug in when not in use. Took it down from my four post lift today and ran it for the first time in two weeks. Voltage was 12.3 on start up but then climbed up over 14 like it has done historically. I don't have a fancy plug in set up. I use alligator clips to the battery itself and close the hatch on the wire. I use deltran battery tender plus. I've owned it since new for three years, it has 7800 miles and Ive used the tender right along. I've never used hibernation mode.

Morpar
07-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Get a tender. NOCO Genius is a good brand

lochnessmonster
07-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Do you guys keep a battery tender hooked up at all times when parked?

No tender when stored for the winter, and definitely no tender when parked for short stints. I would expect nothing less for a $100K+ car. If I had to hook a tender up to it I'd be pretty pissed. That's just a Band-Aid solution as far as I'm concerned. Reference this link for more information: http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_runs_down.htm You will note that it doesn't reference a battery losing charge for no reason. Yes, all batteries have a certain amount of internal resistance which causes them to lose a charge, and this resistance is built up over time as the plates within the battery deteriorate. However, a NEW battery, such as the ones we have in these cars, should NOT lose it's charge at a rate that has it dead and unable to start the car within a few weeks without some form of external draw, as noted in this article. The life of a battery is typically about 5 years. Anytime before that point it should hold a charge for months without a battery tender or charger. My Honda S2000 sits in my driveway from November to April every year without being started, and without having a battery tender on it. That's 6 months in -20C to -40C temperatures. Guess what? It fires right up every Spring. Why? Because it has a new battery in it, and the car doesn't have any electrical faults. My Viper sits in an insulated garage, so starting it up throughout the winter isn't hard on it. I start it about once a month. As it should be.

Steve-Indy
07-03-2016, 11:15 AM
We all likely have different experiences and expectations...and, therefore different solutions to maintaining a Viper. Certainly, Gen I and Gen II Vipers had a finite, predictable battery draw even with alarm off as there is no "sleep" or "hibernation" mode. An Ignition Off Draw (IOD) test will tell you if any car has an abnormal draw as long as one follows the correct testing protocol. There is no reason to guess or speculate about a perceived abnormal drain.

I have hd good luck with the hibernation mode on Gen III's and later as it does make life a little easier.

swexlin
07-03-2016, 12:08 PM
As I mentioned above, I had decent luck with hibernate (was called "sleep mode") in m Gen 3. Even when the old battery was weak, it fired off, but then died. Once I replaced with a Diehard, sleep did the trick. My 07 SRT8 sat outside, for 8 winters! I lived in a condo most of that time, so no tender, and it didn't have a sleep mode. The OEM Mopar lasted halfway through that 8th winter. Car would sit for weeks at a time. Never failed to start, but was weak on restarts. Diehard fixed that!

Had my Gen 5 now 1.75 years. As mentioned, winter '15, she sat in hibernate for about 4 weeks once, and lit right off first try. But it was 30 degrees. This past winter, had been sitting for 6 weeks, and when I started, it was 17! Fourth try was the charm! So yeah, I think this winter, in addition to hibernate, it's tender time. But I don't use a tender now, just hibernate every time she's parked, because I usually on have her out on weekends. and if we get a couple rainy weekends in a row, well she's sitting.

Most modern cars have draw all the time - computers, alarms, sensors.....all these contribute to shorter battery life, especially in cold climate.