PDA

View Full Version : Unintended acceleration?

gcrain
06-17-2016, 02:23 AM
I have had 4 or 5 instances of the engine revving while braking the last 2 times I drove the car. My first instinct was I must be grazing the accelerator but after today I am confident that is not it. I wear driving shoes that are quite narrow and I have verified multiple times now that my foot is not touching the accelerator. It's not dramatic and has not impacted my ability to brake but it is getting disconcerting. I have never heard of this effecting Vipers, am I imagining things?

The car has 1600 miles on it and recently had the transmission replaced if that helps.

donk_316
06-17-2016, 04:45 AM
Ive done it too. Its my foot hitting the linkage for the accelerator.

38D
06-17-2016, 06:54 AM
Your definitely hitting the gas pedal in some way. Same thing with Audis back in the mid 80s.

ViperPete
06-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Never happened on mine.

ACR Steve
06-17-2016, 10:11 AM
make sure floor mat is not catching the peddle

Tom Sessions
06-17-2016, 10:23 AM
If it happens again I would recommend placing a Go Pro under the dash to record your feet. I have seen this done many times on racecars to help a drive fiqure out what's going on.This way you will know for sure if it's a foot placement issue or a problem with the car. Something like this I would want to know for sure what's up instead if guessing.

SharpMan
06-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Also, even at WOT the brakes will stop the car.

BJG32
06-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Hmmmm...."Unintended acceleration"... Does that excuse work with highway patrol? :witless:

ViperGeorge
06-18-2016, 09:57 AM
At the Viper Experience, Hammer (the guy that runs it from SRT) told everyone to be careful not to hit the gas and the brakes at the same time when finishing the autocross. He said it happens a lot. Funny thing was that he did it himself on one of his following runs. Naturally we all made fun of him.

Jack B
06-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Make sure your mat is hooked, this is crirical.

make sure floor mat is not catching the peddle

LmeaViper
06-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Interesting, as I had this happen to me yesterday for the first time ever. I concluded right away it was my foot placement.

On the flip side I had an issue with one of my previous F150's where some weird shit happened with the cruise one time for maybe 20 seconds. it was pretty scary actually as I was both feet on the brake and she just wanted to go...I think ford labeled it as an "unintended acceleration". In the end they concluded it was my floor mat, not sure I agreed with that verdict but it never happened again.

Jack B
06-19-2016, 11:18 AM
It happened to me, the floor mat.

Interesting, as I had this happen to me yesterday for the first time ever. I concluded right away it was my foot placement.

On the flip side I had an issue with one of my previous F150's where some weird shit happened with the cruise one time for maybe 20 seconds. it was pretty scary actually as I was both feet on the brake and she just wanted to go...I think ford labeled it as an "unintended acceleration". In the end they concluded it was my floor mat, not sure I agreed with that verdict but it never happened again.