PDA

View Full Version : Must Do No Cost Mod

Jack B
01-03-2014, 12:25 AM
I removed the tail light surround to get it painted. The car is just sitting there so I gave the area behind the surround a good inspection. You have to keep in mind, unless you remove the surround you would never see this area, it is usually hidden for the life of the car. For reference, my car is a 2013 that was delivered at the end of June.

There are three pictures below, one shows a white arrow, this is the viewing angle that is needed to see the area behind the wheelwell liner. The second picture shows the area at the rear of the wheelwell and the third picture shows the same spot, but, from the rear of the car.

Problem #1.
The area within the red circle (picture #2) shows an opening that is approx 3/16" X 2" that leads right into the hidden area behind the tail light surround. Maybe this oversight only occurred on my car, but, I do not think so. The problem is, during normal driving the area behind the wheelwell fills with dirt. That may seem like a nothing, however, when that mixes with water from a wet road you could have a 1/2" of mud in that hidden area. My car only has 3000 miles on it and it looked like a garden behind the wheelwell and that was on both sides.

Solution
Merely use clear silicone or black silicone and run a bead over that opening.

Problem #2
The passenger side area behind the wheelwell also had a 2" layer of leaves on top of the mud/dirt. I have the car off the lift so it will have to wait for this weekend to figure out how they got in there, it wasn't thru the 3/16" opening, these were large leaves. I think the brake cooling duct goes thru an area that can access the space behind the wheelwell. Most of the early 2013 car did not have the brake air duct fastened, therefore, that access hole to the wheelwell might have allowed debris to be blown back into the area behind the surround. I will figure it out this weekend. If you haven't tie-wrapped the rear brake air ducts in place, you might want to think about getting it done. I believe late 2013 and all 2014 models have a fitting that holds the duct into the wheelwell liner hole.

Nine Ball
01-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Funny, I had my car on the lift earlier this week and noticed that same gap. Never looked inside though, just thought it was odd.

Voice of Reason
01-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Is there any chance that opening is there to allow water to drain from the rear bumper that accumulates from a different source? It looks intentional so I'd hate to seal it, and the next time I wash the car fill the bumper with water with no where for it to drain from.

Thanks for the reminder on the ducts, I'm sure mine are pointing who knows where so I'll have to take care of ziptieing them in place.

Jack B
01-03-2014, 07:33 AM
I thought the same, but, you don't vent where the tire debris volume is the greatest. If you saw the garden in there you would seal it. If the factory wanted a drain it would go further to the rear.

A similar gap at front of the sills might be needed, this one is doubtful.

[WQUOTE=Voice of Reason;19526]Is there any chance that opening is there to allow water to drain from the rear bumper that accumulates from a different source? It looks intentional so I'd hate to seal it, and the next time I wash the car fill the bumper with water with no where for it to drain from.

Thanks for the reminder on the ducts, I'm sure mine are pointing who knows where so I'll have to take care of ziptieing them in place.[/QUOTE]

Nine Ball
01-03-2014, 08:13 AM
How did you ziptie the ducts? I couldn't see any way to tie them back?

Jack B
01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Drill a 3/16" hole in the side of the liner and thru the duct.

How did you ziptie the ducts? I couldn't see any way to tie them back?

Jack B
01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
The more I look at that hole, the more I think it is a drain. This probably is why the through-studs on the surround are gasked. If it is a drain, SRT did it as an after thought, a dedicated drain is not difficult.

I know I don't like a 1/2 lb of mud on each side, on rhe other hand, maybe, who cares.

Jack B
01-04-2014, 10:26 PM
I had the car on the lift today. The inner area that is between the the outside skin of the car and the inner trunk liner is open to the outside environment. Air that flows under the car will flow thru that inner area and flow out the diffuser grill. That is why I found so many leaves.

I am still going to silicone those openings in the wheelwell, it is one thing to have the air flow thru that inner shell, but, I do not like the idea of the tires throwing mud, water and gravel back behind the wheelwell Take a flashlight and look thru the back diffuse grill and you will see exactly what I am trying to describe.

Mamba52
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I hope PeerBlock doesn't see this thread.