PDA

View Full Version : Don't use a pressure washer on your tires

Vprbite
06-01-2016, 05:31 AM
Article on popular mechanics about pressire washer and tires.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a1705/4217528/

I don't use one anyway but had never thought about it damaging the tires. We all know how important tires are. Anyone ever had a problem with this?

Steve M
06-01-2016, 06:38 AM
I've never seen nor personally heard of anyone having a problem, but it's definitely interesting.

I always wash/clean my tires with a product called Amazing Roll Off and a low pressure hose. I have white letters on my truck tires, and that stuff is the only thing I've found that makes them white again.

LightningKray
06-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Wesley's Bleach White IMO is the ultimate product for removing residue and cleaning white letters.

AZTVR
06-01-2016, 10:43 AM
Article on popular mechanics about pressire washer and tires.
I don't use one anyway but had never thought about it damaging the tires. We all know how important tires are. Anyone ever had a problem with this?

Interesting. I recently borrowed a neighbor's pressure washer to clean the tires on my Jeep. I thought that was the greatest thing ever for cleaning up "neglected" tires! (Along with "Bleche-Wite" even for just black walls)

ViperPete
06-01-2016, 11:20 AM
I never use a pressure washer on any of my vehicles. If it cant come off with scrubbing, there's a bigger problem...

Vprbite
06-01-2016, 05:48 PM
I used a pressure washer to take paint off the concrete deck in front of my house so I have never had a desire to use it on my car. But the idea that the frequency messes with tires is interesting.

And I'll give a thumbs up to blechwhite. Used to use it to clean tires on my trucks. Great for white lettering and also leaves tires clean but it isn't a "dressing" so it doesn't leave them greasy.

plumcrazy
06-01-2016, 06:28 PM
you can use a pressure washer to wash your face if you know how to use one

Steve M
06-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Wesley's Bleach White IMO is the ultimate product for removing residue and cleaning white letters.

I looked into that one today, and it appears that the formula was bought out by Black Magic. It is still called Bleche Wite, but it is now Black Magic instead of Westley's. The reviews did not appear to be favorable since Black Magic took it over...there were multiple comments about how something in the formulation changed, and not for the better.

Junkman2008
06-02-2016, 04:16 AM
And people wonder why I never use a pressure washer in my videos...

whitebeard
06-02-2016, 04:29 AM

Was that what happened?

Leslie
06-02-2016, 04:55 AM

Hahaha!!!

LightningKray
06-02-2016, 07:21 AM
I looked into that one today, and it appears that the formula was bought out by Black Magic. It is still called Bleche Wite, but it is now Black Magic instead of Westley's. The reviews did not appear to be favorable since Black Magic took it over...there were multiple comments about how something in the formulation changed, and not for the better.

Interesting, my Dad and I Both have the Wesley's product (have had it for years) as not much is needed to clean the sidewalls. It goes a long way. Guess I'll have to find a suitable replacement when it's used up...

outnumbered
06-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Ditto

ICPREY
06-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Common sense just isn't common these days..Plenty of professional detailers use pressure washers with no ill effects. How many self serve car wash stations have pressure washer type nozzles, plenty. Someone wrote an article because they could.

Bugman Jeff
06-03-2016, 02:12 PM
The article is several years old, with no supporting data or sources other than "Car and tire manufacturers recommend against..." Searching further shows a TyreSafe report put out in 2007, with nothing newer except people referencing that report, and I can't even find the report it's self, just references to it. I couldn't find anything from any manufacturers backing up the claim, and tens of thousands of tires are pressure washed daily. If it were an actual concern, you's think tire manufacturers would be all over it with warnings, if for no other reason then to cover their asses.

bluesrt
06-03-2016, 02:54 PM

lol