PDA

View Full Version : Gen II Tires

2002GTS
05-27-2016, 10:25 AM
I am looking to replace my Michelin tires on my Gen II, but have been told that Michelin is no longer making this tire or a replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Fatboy 18
05-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Toyo Proxys R888.
I run 295 x 30 x 18 Front tyres and 335 x 30 x 18 Rear tyres

Bill Pemberton
05-27-2016, 01:40 PM
You can get a set of BF Goodrich G- Force Rival S in your size. Solid tire for track/autocross. Check Tire Rack, ask for Luke Pavlik at #4362 --he has been helping Viper owners since the late 90s.

Coloviper
05-27-2016, 03:42 PM
It is funny Bill, you would think that Michelin would be wanting to support this tire, even in low numbers given the ownership demography. They were prominent suppliers before the "divorce". Surely they can't be that stupid to think that not offering the tire to the Viper owners would inadvertently hurt sales in other areas of their business. For example, if Michelin stops producing the tire all together and walks away from the 17" and 18" Viper owners with factory rims, sure as hell will never put another Michelin tire on any vehicle I ever own and I have been a die hard Michelin fanboy and exclusive purchaser for years, except Blizzacks for my daily driver winter rims. Might be high time for some of our "fleet" owners with the older cars to write some letters to that effect for Michelin. Maybe the club can collect those letters and pass to the head of Michelin.

Luisv
05-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Yep. Same problem.

As FYI... I am considering the BFG Rival-S tires as well. I will likely be upgrading to 19" rear wheels (the problem size to find) but I may still go with the BFG Rivals. I am considering the Pirellis now b/c of the price on the VOA deal.

Now on the Rivals...

I have a good friend and consultant on my builds/restorations. He has a Mazda Miata that he put the Rivals on. I have drive the car a few tires and I love the feel of the tires. While a different car, I can tell you that I drove the car pretty hard at the dragon and it convinced me that they we going on the Viper. The tires are excellent and very predictable. In the extreme, when they do get to the limits or passed, very easy to keep it under control. I loved them.