PDA

View Full Version : CEL After Stock ECU Installed

Ninjazx71
05-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, I had to install my stock ECU for emissions testing here in IL. After doing so, the CEL is coming on. I've cleared it, but each time I start the car it comes back on.

P0037
P0057
P0136

The car has Bellanger headers and cat'd exhaust... Are these being thrown because of the headers? Any ideas?

ACRucrazy
05-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Down stream 02 needs to be out of the exhaust stream with headers and or high flow cats/exhaust.

Steve M
05-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Those codes are from the down stream O2 sensors, so yes, it is likely the result of your headers. Even with only high flow cats, I get a couple of catalyst inefficiency codes...thankfully, I don't have to pass emissions, so I just turned them off.

Ninjazx71
05-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Down stream 02 needs to be out of the exhaust stream with headers and or high flow cats/exhaust.

In theory could you leave them hooked up but strapped outside of the exhaust system just to run through emissions? Or would that not work?

Steve M
05-26-2016, 07:46 PM
In theory could you leave them hooked up but strapped outside of the exhaust system just to run through emissions? Or would that not work?

As long as they don't look (which they wouldn't be able to on a Viper), it shouldn't be an issue. If it were me, I'd just get it to pass...all you have to do is fool the PCM into thinking everything is working as it should.

Ninjazx71
05-26-2016, 08:17 PM
As long as they don't look (which they wouldn't be able to on a Viper), it shouldn't be an issue. If it were me, I'd just get it to pass...all you have to do is fool the PCM into thinking everything is working as it should.

Yeah all I'm concerned about is getting it to pass emissions and then it's onto HPT for 2 years until the time I'm due for emissions. Any suggestions how to fool the ECU?

Redx
05-26-2016, 11:32 PM

It will most likely throw a code, you would need to do the "spark plug non fouler" modification. The sensor still needs to see some exhaust.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-performance-maintenance/401-how-install-o2-sensor-non-fouler-eliminate-check-engine-light-pics.html

Ninjazx71
05-27-2016, 09:52 AM
It will most likely throw a code, you would need to do the "spark plug non fouler" modification. The sensor still needs to see some exhaust.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-performance-maintenance/401-how-install-o2-sensor-non-fouler-eliminate-check-engine-light-pics.html

Nice info... so I'd have to try doing that on the 2nd set of O2 sensors after the cats... no clue what clearance looks like by that sensor and whether adding a few inches to it would fit or not... Have you seen this actually done on a Viper before?

Redx
05-27-2016, 01:32 PM
My car has mm headers with built in non foulers(essentially these just welded in on the secondary's)yes, works fine, no cel with stock PCm

Mactizen
05-27-2016, 11:23 PM
I needed multiple non foulers to get mine to pass in Ontario, I couldn't get the side panels back on with the sensors out that far. The test is done in private facilities here so it wasn't a problem. Get yourself a blue tooth OBD2 reader and the torque app for the emissions rediness codes, was a time saver for me.

AZTVR
05-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Just an FYI if it were to be needed to get things to fit in a tight space: 90 Degree Angled O2 Check Engine Light CEL Fix Oxygen Spacer Exhaust Extension (http://www.amazon.com/Degree-Angled-Engine-Exhaust-Extension/dp/B00B1U6I54)